Lt. Commander
# 111
01-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolarter View Post
If they want to make life subs worth really getting ... a no brainer then sweeten the pot a bit...
like 20% off everything in the C store every day for life sub's so when c store items go on sale for 20% off for everyone life sub' get that plus their own 20% off.
rewards for life subs weapons, items, abilities .. something that you can't buy , trade , loot drops, or craft that helps your toon or ship. nothing to over powerfull..
Like the aegis set should have been a life sub's item. or a galaxy or sov class that has complete universal bridge slots.
example 200 day life sub reward sov / galaxy / nebula/ vorch/ negvar, all universal bridge slots..
300 day life sub reward aegis set...
things like that would even make me think a life sub would be worth it.

LOL thats exactly what a lifetime sub should not be, your getting a price break with a little fluff but the emphasis should be the price break what u suggest is exactly what u should not do in a mmo give real benifits for extra money a fine line the c store already walks.
Lt. Commander
# 112
01-20-2011, 12:31 AM
hi there,

its all nice and good with those lifetime subscriptions, but didn't Cryptic consider putting STO free to play at some point?

Whats the reasoning to offer Lifetime subscriptions now? Did i miss something?

Imagine what happens if they turn STO into free to play for real in 2-3 months? Man.
Lt. Commander
# 113
01-20-2011, 12:43 AM
It would be no different than what they are doing with Champs. They have Silver members (F2P players) and Gold members (paying subscribers/lifetimers). Silver members have limited access to the game while Gold members have full access to everything. Well, they still have to pay for things in the C-store, but Gold members get a monthly stipend of Cryptic Points. Basically nothing changes at all for sub/lifetime players, so it's still a good deal to pick one up. In Champs case, you get to be a Gold member for life so I would expect no different if STO were to ever go F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 114 one mad life time member
01-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
To celebrate the launch of Champions Online: Free for All and the one year anniversary of Star Trek Online, we’ll be discounting the price of Lifetime Subscriptions for both games by 20%! The sale starts January 25 at 6 a.m. Pacific and ends February 4 at 10 a.m. Pacific. This means players will be able to purchase a Lifetime Subscription to Champions Online: Free for All or Star Trek Online for just $239.99!

Link to the news article.
I feel like i have been riped off in some way now i am canadian i paid 308.99 CAD six months ago and now the canadian dollar is on par with the amercian dollar right now the same amount is worth candain is worth 309.841 usd and now six month later the Life membership is 239.99 USD = 239.380 CAD is 69 dollars cheaper. why should have to pay more because cryptic want to sell more lifetimes members to for free to play game and why is it free to because of DC online may be? yet i still support the game by buying cryptic piont for respecs because i was already an RA when they come up with the respec tokens in game stacked , but if you already an RA when this happened sorry you do not get want every one else get for leveling up!!!!!! Cryptic do the right thing for those whom bought a life time sub in the past 6 months rebate us the $69 dollar in cryptic pionts atleast.
One ****ed off bear
Lt. Commander
# 115 great response!
01-20-2011, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
I don't mean to be rude, so please understand the following is me simply stating the truth.

I don't think you'll ever see the LTS for STO drop below this price ($239.99 USD).

There's a part of me that would love to eat those words. There's another part of that believes quite strongly that those who pre-ordered the Lifetime Subscription before many even had a chance to play the game in beta deserve to never see that price lower than they paid.

There's another part of me that thinks $299.99 for a lifetime subscription to an MMO, which could provide decades worth of entertainment is an absolutely amazing deal. (And yes, there are some predecessors to the now common "MMO" which are quite good, and have been around for decades. Some of you might remember Gemstone from the old 1200 baud modem days. Heck, I almost wish I could of bought a LTS for EQ!)

I understand that even at this reduced price, a Lifetime Subscription is prohibitively expensive for some. I also firmly believe that this is an absolutely incredible value for your entertainment dollars. In the end, it's up to you whether or not this purchase is worth the price.

Thanks,

Stormshade
I can respect this reasoning!
Lt. Commander
# 116
01-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchase View Post
I would buy a life time sub in a heartbeat if it just wasnt so expensive... I know it might not be much to everyone but to me that is just so far away from bieng affordable, even on sale, that it is not going to happen, for me that is.
Same here.
Lt. Commander
# 117
01-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbearsstanding View Post
I feel like i have been riped off in some way now i am canadian i paid 308.99 CAD six months ago and now the canadian dollar is on par with the amercian dollar right now the same amount is worth candain is worth 309.841 usd and now six month later the Life membership is 239.99 USD = 239.380 CAD is 69 dollars cheaper. why should have to pay more because cryptic want to sell more lifetimes members to for free to play game and why is it free to because of DC online may be? yet i still support the game by buying cryptic piont for respecs because i was already an RA when they come up with the respec tokens in game stacked , but if you already an RA when this happened sorry you do not get want every one else get for leveling up!!!!!! Cryptic do the right thing for those whom bought a life time sub in the past 6 months rebate us the $69 dollar in cryptic pionts atleast.
One ****ed off bear
Bud I wouldn't be to upset with the CAD vs USD saga. Here in South Africa, it's ~ R7 to $1. I would take your conversion (even at the higher rate) any day of the week... scratch that.... lifetime!

My concern was what was going to happen should STO go F2P, but thanks to Lantesh and others, I see there are still benefits to be derived. Come the end of the month, I'll take a look and see whether a LTS is a good option for me. Gives me time to think
Lt. Commander
# 118
01-20-2011, 01:27 AM
well as my yearly was due im getting a lifetime now as well the 20% off seals the deal for me lovely
Lt. Commander
# 119 why?
01-20-2011, 01:48 AM
All I can say is what benefit do the people get who paid for a full lifetime membership over those who got it cheap as anything. Ripping off the customers and players who have dedicated themselves to this game and bought the lifetime membership to say "hey Cryptic, we trust you will do a great job here" and for what, to give away lifetime memberships cheaply just for the sake of a few more players, for shame. If you are gonna do promotions like this, maybe tweak the people's accounts who bought it for the full amount and at least compensate us with something decent, it is an extra $100 bucks we pulled out after all.
Lt. Commander
# 120
01-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juy View Post
hi there,

its all nice and good with those lifetime subscriptions, but didn't Cryptic consider putting STO free to play at some point?

Whats the reasoning to offer Lifetime subscriptions now? Did i miss something?

Imagine what happens if they turn STO into free to play for real in 2-3 months? Man.
There are "currently" no plans for STO to go F2P, and life memberships have always been available (its is just cheaper now). If it does go F2P is is highly likely that they will follow the same Hybrid model as Champions Online. The Hybrid model is where subscribers get the full bells-and-whistles and F2P players get bare bones limited content. There is a good comparison matrix here .
Closed Thread