Lt. Commander
# 11
01-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
ROFL Are you serious? ROFL
Unfortunately, yeah, he is being serious. The legal concept is called nexus. Generally, nexus means a connection. The term nexus is used in tax law to describe a situation in which a business has a "nexus" or presence in a state and is thus subject to state income taxes and to sales taxes for sales within that state. Basically, if it can be shown a company has nexus in a particular state, the company must collect and pay/remit taxes in that state.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
I used a pre-paid Visa card I purchased from Wal-Mart to pay for my lifetime sub, so that would certainly be a good way for you to go. However, as anazonda mentioned, some players in certain states have been charged sales tax on their Cryptic Points purchase, so that may be a factor (it isn't for me in Tennessee).

According to this thread, it seems if you live in Michigan, California, or Massachusetts, you may be charged tax for your Cryptic Points, so I don't know if you would for your lifetime sub. So, if you don't live in those states, then you should have to worry about it.

However, I would add at least $1 more than the total price, because I remember reading about how Cryptic may charge your credit card a dollar to verify the card (or something like that). I don't think they end up actually charging your card that dollar, but it would suck to have your purchase denied if you were just one dollar under. (I bought my lifetime pre-launch, so it was $240 for me, and I bought my Visa with $250 on it, just to be safe.)

(Heh, while I was typing this, I noticed you live in Tenn as well, so I wouldn't worry about the sales tax angle. I'd just make sure to have about $1-5 above the cost, just in case they do charge that verification dollar.)
Okay, well this makes me feel a lot better about it knowing you are from TN.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDream
Okay, well this makes me feel a lot better about it knowing you are from TN.
Yeah, I would have made my post shorter if I had noticed your post about being from TN, heh.

Also, Rekhan just announced they're putting the lifetime sub on sale, starting Jan 25th at 6 a.m. Pacific (8 a.m. our time). Now, I know your current subscription might run out before then (and be charged for your second month), but you might want to consider canceling your subscription & credit card info (you'll be able to play whatever remaining time you have before your first 30 days are up) in order to save yourself $60. (From the 25th to Feb 4th, the Lifetime sub will be $239.99 and not $299.99)

Sure, you may not be able to play the game for about a week or so, but you would be saving yourself $60, while still getting the same product. Here's the link to the post, if you want to check it out:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...14#post3293614
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Or do renew and save $45...
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
Or do renew and save $45...
True, that's another way to do it. However, since you essentially lose any game time when you buy the lifetime sub, he would be paying $15 for about a week's worth of play time. I guess it's up to whether it's better to not play the game for about a week and save $60, or renew and save $45. :shrug:
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Wow, that really couldn't have come at a better time. I really appreciate you letting me know this, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. I cancelled my payment for the next month, I only have about 4 days left on my account. This will save me a good chunk of money.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Well, I'm trying to do a little research on it now. Not sure if it will apply to a purchase of this type...but my state (Tennessee) is a part of thing called "Internet Sales Tax Provision". But some of what I've read so far, is only talking about "access" to the internet.
I live in Tennessee as well and paid nothing extra (tax, fee, etc.)
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Wow, that really couldn't have come at a better time. I really appreciate you letting me know this, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. I cancelled my payment for the next month, I only have about 4 days left on my account. This will save me a good chunk of money.
Heh, yeah, that's why I posted it (and sent you the message about it). I figured it would be better for you to not be able to play for a few days to a week than to find out you could have saved $60 if you had waited a week.

(Also, if you canceled your payment, make sure you remove your credit card information from their system as well. There's been stories of people in the past who canceled their subscriptions, but left their CC info in Cryptic's system, and they still got charged for the next month when their time was up. This was a while back, and they could have fixed it by now, but I'm not 100% sure about it. Also, if you're going to use a pre-paid credit card to pay for your lifetime sub, you'll have to enter that card's info in anyhow.)
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-20-2011, 12:56 PM
hasnt cryptic a support for money questions???^^