Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-20-2011, 05:51 PM
I wonder how the present runabouts and the Veteran Captain's Yatch reward are going to figure in the shuttle mechanics.

...if you already have a runabout, will you be able to play it in the place of the new playbl basic shuttle for the purposes of the mission?
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
You'll be happy to know that I've asked the designers to look into a way to let players "test drive" ships (other than going to Tribble) in game so that you can take that fancy ship for a spin before you make the decision.

There's some software support we need to make it work, but I expect this to be in game by the time Season 4 launches.
Ooh I really like this. There's a lot of ships that I'd like to fly for a bit just to see what it's like but wouldn't want to spend c-store points on it. Also so I can see what people are talking about when they say "x ship is terrible", or alternatively give them the smackdown because they're just not using it right.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
I wonder how the present runabouts and the Veteran Captain's Yatch reward are going to figure in the shuttle mechanics.

...if you already have a runabout, will you be able to play it in the place of the new playbl basic shuttle for the purposes of the mission?
Well, I feel like I keep giving away secrets :p

Hypothetically speaking, there could potentially be space systems that would require the player to be in a shuttlecraft in order to enter. So long as the ship you are currently piloting is considering a "Shuttle" class, then you would be able to use any of the Shuttlecraft you own to enter that system.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Quote:
You'll be happy to know that I've asked the designers to look into a way to let players "test drive" ships (other than going to Tribble) in game so that you can take that fancy ship for a spin before you make the decision.

There's some software support we need to make it work, but I expect this to be in game by the time Season 4 launches.
Maybe have all the ships on Tribble be free? Especially since it is the "test" server. It would allow us to test our builds/ships/weapons, etc, all while testing the latest content for you guys. Everyone wins something.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:

Hypothetically speaking, there could potentially be space systems that would require the player to be in a shuttlecraft in order to enter. So long as the ship you are currently piloting is considering a "Shuttle" class, then you would be able to use any of the Shuttlecraft you own to enter that system.
Don't worry. I read the STO "Needs of the Many" novel and read about Janeway's shuttle trip. I already have my hypotheses going.

You're also not breaking any secrets that weren't unveiled by Salami over at the Tribble forums.

I appreciate the response, though. Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:

Now, that does sound very cool! I also like Cuatela's idea about making them free to use on Tribble, but at least your way would allow people to try a ship out before deciding whether to shell out the cash (or grind for the in-game currency) for them.

Quote:

Interesting. I may end up discharging my runabout once we get the freebie shuttles, just to make room for it. (I'm already pretty much decided to buy the Delta Flyer, so I'll need to make some room for the other 'shuttle' class ships we'll be getting (including the Captain's Yacht).)
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Quote:

Aw shucks, I was hoping to have the ability to launch the shuttle from my ship rather than have to go to a starbase to switch it out.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.LoveMonkey
Aw shucks, I was hoping to have the ability to launch the shuttle from my ship rather than have to go to a starbase to switch it out.
Even better than that... I'd eventually like you to be able to go down to your Shuttle Bay - see the shuttles you own and pick which one you want to fly and hop in.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Even better than that... I'd eventually like you to be able to go down to your Shuttle Bay - see the shuttles you own and pick which one you want to fly and hop in.
*Response lost in cranial explosion*
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
That'd be epic!