Lt. Commander
# 1 Champions Online question
01-21-2011, 01:28 AM
I see a Champions Online at best buy's online site for $4.99. I saw this last weekend and went into best buy myself to get it, but there was only a $29 version.

So, my question is: Why is the 4.99 only online and not in the store?

And - if I purchase that cheap version will it work with the free to play?

Thank you =)
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Any version will work with F2P. But you might want to just install it online for free, save your money, and then decide if you want to subscribe to Champs or not once F2P comes out next week.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeidan
Any version will work with F2P. But you might want to just install it online for free, save your money, and then decide if you want to subscribe to Champs or not once F2P comes out next week.
Actually, you needn't do that.

If you download the Demo fron Atari via the Champions site, it does not register as a demo, and if you log in to Champions via the link in the launcher once downloaded & installed it automatically grants you Demo access.

No cost, thought it will indirectly cost you bandwidth and time.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-21-2011, 02:08 AM
So you can essentially get this game and play for totally free by downloading it?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-21-2011, 02:11 AM
Yes, but you will have very limited access until it officially goes F2P on the 25th.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaza View Post
Yes, but you will have very limited access until it officially goes F2P on the 25th.
To be honest, it will take you 4 days or so to download it, so it's no harm done.

However, if you have it on CD, remember that if you need to install it again, it will only need patching.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-21-2011, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
To be honest, it will take you 4 days or so to download it, so it's no harm done.

However, if you have it on CD, remember that if you need to install it again, it will only need patching.
Well it depends on the speed of the connection.

I'm not sure if having the Discs will make much of a difference in the patch size. A lot has probably been changed since the last batch of retail discs that have been produced. . . especially when it comes down to the F2P changes going in. There are a lot of them.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-21-2011, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaza View Post
Well it depends on the speed of the connection.

I'm not sure if having the Discs will make much of a difference in the patch size. A lot has probably been changed since the last batch of retail discs that have been produced. . . especially when it comes down to the F2P changes going in. There are a lot of them.
Bear in mind, though, that the download will still need pathcing itself, and there's probably not much difference between the disc and the 'demo' sizes. After I'd installed Champtions, it was patching itself for a good half hour plus. And I've got a good connection! :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-21-2011, 04:00 AM
Thanks for all your replies. I have the Fightclub downloader going. If I want to save bandwith to play sto or wow, can I click on cancel and resume the download later?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-21-2011, 04:03 AM
Actually I'm already at 20percent after about 4 minutes so it looks like it's a quick download