Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground combat advice needed
01-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Ok im still new at this, engineer by trade and VA in rank.

Im fighting the borg and 8472 in ground combat, but my phaser rifles on beam mode to alot more damage than my antiproton weapons.

Am i missing something?

When should i use my antiproton weapons ?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2011, 01:31 PM
The thing to realize is that all llike weapons (i.e. same Mk, extra attributes, weapon type, etc.). Do the same base amount of damage. Not certain weapon types will different damage values. For example, Rifles tend to do less damage, hit a lesser number of targets with AoE attacks, than Assault Weapons. But Rifles have longer ranges then the Assault weapons. And comparing damage among the weapons types is very long discussion in and of itself.

Now with regards to the different damage types, Their special procs is what set's them apart from one another. Phasers can stun, disruptors can proc a damage resistance debuff, tertryons can do extra damage to shield, polarons can disable weapon, and the anti-protons proc is increase shield penetrations.

Edit:

I had the anti-proton ground proc wrong. I was thinking of the space proc.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebwilkins View Post

Im fighting the borg and 8472 in ground combat, but my phaser rifles on beam mode to alot more damage than my antiproton weapons.

Am i missing something?

Honestly, it doesn't matter. You just need to read the description and see what does more damage. I don't believe that a certain weapon type gives a bonus to damage based on your enemy. For example, a phaser won't do more damage to the borg as compared to the klingons. Whatever damage is in the description is what the weapon will do.

If you feel your phaser rifle is doing more damage than use that.

The only case where a weapon will do more damage against a certain species is if it says so in the description.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-21-2011, 11:04 AM
IMO antiproton ground weapons = meh.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebwilkins View Post

Am i missing something?

It might be the weapon type that is changing your damage output versus your damage type. If you are comparing a pistol to a rifle, you may find a difference in DPS. Also, if you are a tac, your ground skill point allocation will affect what weapons you can use effectively. You should look through your skills to see what weapons you are best with.

When fighting Undine, don't underestimate the importance of your BOffs. Bring along anyone that has mental discipline. Betazeds get a nice de-aggro ability if you have a Betazed healer. Don't equip them with polaron or tetryon if you can avoid it. Undine deal psi and phys damage and the little ones don't come with shields. Most you see won't use weapons. Crowd control skills like photon grenade and smoke grenade are plus for your BOffs, as well as turrets and generators. NO PLASMA, you will burn. Bring two healers.

Borg: A bit hectic on advanced, but not too difficult. Unlike Undine, tetryon and polaron can help here. Borg shields go up somewhere between 10%-15% damage to health, not to mention that drones like to use their knockback weapons. I think tetryon are the more effective of the two, so only equip one BOff at most with polaron, preferably something with full auto, bolt spray, or split-beam. Phaser weapons are best as they have an innate hold chance. Phaser full auto + suppressing fire is the best combo I've ever used against Borg, especially when stacked with other Fire Team kit abilities. Turrets and generators for your engineers, two healers minimum, loads of hypos for when you are held.

Tac officers need to use a kit they are comfortable with. Fire Team is my kit of choice since I roll with two healers and frequently direct my BOffs' fire. Grenade satchel may be good for undine as a crowd control tool. I don't have much experience in the end game with other tac kits.

Engineers should carry bunker fab no matter what. Period. Force Field Dome is valuable against both Borg and Undine.

Sci have a ton of options. I've not seen to many sci run with the Geophysicist kit, but I like to think it'd be effective against Borg crowds. Typically, they Medic up and tank through enemies with a bat'leth, not a bad strategy.

Enjoy!