Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
There is no flame-up. The way I see it there are two logical possibilities after the life-time subscription sale concludes. Possibility one is Cryptic Studios makes a killing on the sale and decides it has enough capital to make STO go free-to-play within a few months. The money made from the subscriptions will allow Cryptic to upgrade their servers to allow for a higher player capacity. Possibility two is Cryptic studios doesn't make a killing on the sale. If this happens, Cryptic will keep the current subscription model.
Um, are you talking about Champions' Lifetime Sale? Because if STO's LTS sells like hotcakes under the current sub model, why on earth would they want to change it?

I don't think the Lifetime Sale will have any effect on STO's F2P plans at all. I think the number of people playing Champions in February 2012 will affect STO's F2P plans.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Um, are you talking about Champions' Lifetime Sale? Because if STO's LTS sells like hotcakes under the current sub model, why on earth would they want to change it?

I don't think the Lifetime Sale will have any effect on STO's F2P plans at all. I think the number of people playing Champions in February 2012 will affect STO's F2P plans.
Yeah, true. If the Champions F2P model proves more profitable, it would make sense to move STO in that direction. Still, you really think it's going to take until February 2012 to realize that? I honestly hope STO goes F2P sooner. I have about 20 fellow M&B Warband clan members who have expressed their desire to join me in STO should it become F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
Yeah, true. If the Champions F2P model proves more profitable, it would make sense to move STO in that direction. Still, you really think it's going to take until February 2012 to realize that? I honestly hope STO goes F2P sooner. I have about 20 fellow M&B Warband clan members who have expressed their desire to join me in STO should it become F2P.
I do too. Most people simply dont understand that under the Champs F2P model, you actually get MORE for your money as a subscriber than you do now:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...32#post3277832
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-21-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm afraid of no gho... err F2P.
Free C-Points per Month sounds alluring, also i bet that an F2P will have a massive positive impact on the playerbase.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-21-2011, 01:34 PM
There is a way you can make STO F2P today! But you have to buy the correct version of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
Stormshade has recently started posting on MMORPG.com
... and even if it does, I would not have a problem with a CO model.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
There is a way you can make STO F2P today! But you have to buy the correct version of the game.
LT doesnt = free until however many months have gone by that it would take for "amount of LT sub" divided by $15. For the $300 sub that would take 20 months.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
LT doesnt = free until however many months have gone by that it would take for "amount of LT sub" divided by $15. For the $300 sub that would take 20 months.
Which for me would be October 2011....

And that's regardless of what CO does.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
To be honest, I couldn't care less. After I'd dumped my money into Cryptic for a LTS (I got an LTS for CO now too), I wouldn't consider it a "sub" until 'x' ammount of months had passed. I considered it more a "by the deluxe version" and bingo - no worries about de- and re- subbing.

STO will probably be gone by the time I'm 30, unless it gets about 20 new sector blocks, 3 new factions and uber warships for each faction! :p
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Like I said, I bought the game in Feb of 2010 so my LTS will be even in October of 2011. Since CO is just now going F2P, I would imagine Atari is going to want to wait a few quarters to see how well it works out (multinational corporations move at the speed of light, you know ). So odds are my personal sub will be essentially F2P before STO is.