Lt. Commander
# 1 My helmsman sucks.
01-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Sitting in sector space at a system and bring up the map. Select a system 90 or so degrees to your left and tell your ship to go to it.

Why does my helmsman insist on turning 270 degrees to the right every time instead of the 90 degrees left?

On some occasions, this takes me over the border to another sector and I get that annoying warp message.

Please could the devs create an algorithm to check which is the shortest turn radius and turn in that direction. It's an annoyance that turns up in almost every autonav system I have seen, even in ground based games.

Having it turn 270 degrees to the right is just sloppy programming.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Having it turn 270 degrees to the right is just sloppy programming.
Or a technical oversight.

Also wish they'd fix some of the transitions between sectors. I really loath warping in to find I am now facing back the way I came. All things considered, I wouldn't mind waiting on a fix for either issue in exchange for a bigger fix of a worse bug... but it would certainly be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolderine
Sitting in sector space at a system and bring up the map. Select a system 90 or so degrees to your left and tell your ship to go to it.

Why does my helmsman insist on turning 270 degrees to the right every time instead of the 90 degrees left?

On some occasions, this takes me over the border to another sector and I get that annoying warp message.

Please could the devs create an algorithm to check which is the shortest turn radius and turn in that direction. It's an annoyance that turns up in almost every autonav system I have seen, even in ground based games.

Hint (in Basic language but I'm sure someone can convert to C++ or Python or whatever you use):

TurnAmount = RouteToTake - (DegreesFacing +180)
If TurnAmount < 0
Then
TurnLeft(TurnAmount)
Else
TurnRight(TurnAmount)
End If

This decides whether to turn right or left to take the shortest route. The TurnAmount variable is the number of degrees, (OK would have to convert to Radians for programming the actual turn). Having it turn 270 degrees to the right is just sloppy programming.
This would be lovely and i endorse this completely....

It would also be grand if they could fix the new bug I've noticed lately...

...in which when you are parked near a solar system with the systems Info Box showing...,

...if you click anywhere OUTSIDE of the Info Box..., like to use your mouse button to turn the way your ship is facing... you get pulled out of Sector Space and into the systems instance.

Most annoying...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolderine
Maybe your helmsman is a Pakazoid. Half Pakled, half Betazoid. He's kinda telepathic and he picks up which direction you want to go, but he's also kinda Pakled so he takes the scenic route. A lot.

Just a thought.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
This would be lovely and i endorse this completely....

It would also be grand if they could fix the new bug I've noticed lately...

...in which when you are parked near a solar system with the systems Info Box showing...,

...if you click anywhere OUTSIDE of the Info Box..., like to use your mouse button to turn the way your ship is facing... you get pulled out of Sector Space and into the systems instance.

Most annoying...
Slight miscalc in my program so I took it out. It was based on always facing 0 degrees but if you were facing 90 degrees and wanted to turn toward 45 degrees, it failed Still, you get the idea anyway.