Lt. Commander
# 101
01-19-2011, 10:34 AM
No, I didn't get my monies worth. I loved ground PVP and doing fleet actions. So right off the bat the game play I bought my lifetime subscription for disappeared. They didn't address the hold issues so many players rage quit or just stopped playing it.

Then they did the level banding because of some players posting I can't haz lootz. Well, those players probably quit anyway and the fleet actions became empty. Then they refused to fix them.

They wouldn't add anymore space PVP maps and the only one the players use was boring after a couple of days.

All the game has to offer is the single player content that's to simple. The difficulty setting didn't make it harder just more repetitive and take longer.

Foundry my improve the game a little bit, but I'm not looking for more single player content.

I don't think these weekly quest are very good the stories aren't good.

I mean when my Nauscaan tactical officer learned this woman had the piece of technology he needed. He wouldn't have stopped to learn what she drinks to get it. He would have shot her in the face with a phaser.

Wouldn't the Federation just give her a hypo to calm her? The only puzzle I saw is why would you even put that in a game.
Lt. Commander
# 102
01-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert View Post
...I mean when my Nauscaan tactical officer learned this woman had the piece of technology he needed. He wouldn't have stopped to learn what she drinks to get it. He would have shot her in the face with a phaser.
Roleplaying is important to me so I definitely agree with you there, it must be improved.
Lt. Commander
# 103
01-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
So you're ok with everyone having an opinion, it's just that if their opinion differs from yours it really gets on your nerves?
Tolerating and liking are two different things. I tolerate dissenting opinions to my own, but I don't have to like them.
Lt. Commander
# 104
01-19-2011, 11:08 AM
<SNIP>...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
I don't think these weekly quest are very good the stories aren't good.

I mean when my Nauscaan tactical officer learned this woman had the piece of technology he needed. He wouldn't have stopped to learn what she drinks to get it. He would have shot her in the face with a phaser.
..and would still not have gotten the part you needed.

Sometimes when dealing with women, one really does have to cater to their whims...

I have a feeling that's gonna be true no matter what Alien Races we meet...
Lt. Commander
# 105
01-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betaphi
Well, it's important to remember that ST has always been about telling a story. You need a set list of characters to develop a basic conflict/resolution system and it just isn't possible to do that when focusing on more than a few characters - I don't think development costs are a factor that writers even contemplated since it just doesn't work on such a grand scale. Stories need to be concise and limited, by their very nature, or they cease being a story and lose cohesion.

I think the previous poster you reference in another thread has a point to be honest, albeit a flawed one: ST *did* focus entirely on the Federation, and it *is* incongruous for their to be other factions. The shifting political, military, and cultural landscape was always a hallmark of the ST universe and establishing factions, of any stripe, really goes against that idea and severely limits the storytelling ability of your players in a very unnecessary way. The factions seem to be there only for the sake of PvP, which personally I think is a terrible reason to implement *any* feature in a primarily PvE game. Pick one or the other and focus on it - trying to appeal to the widest possible playerbase can attract more players but it also makes for a lot of very unhappy early adopters.
Thanks first off for the well thought out and coherent response. What I forgot to note, and isn't directly tied to areply to you though. Is that many people whom love star trek and loved the series have always wanted another perspective then the federation 'point of view'. Making 5 spin-offs for each 'point of view' isn't a great choice in terms of overall profit for said company - even if it meant that the community would fall in love with them. With a video game though - they have that oppurtunity.

I won't disagree with you that the Klingons, as of right now, seem to be there for the sole sake of faction PvP. I will however state that, that is Cryptics choice, and I think if a AAA developer would have picked up the project as opposed to Cryptic(and/or they released it later instead of its unfinished state) that it wouldn't seem that way.

It's much simpler to make a seperate faction in an MMO then to create a spin-off series based on the same story/timeframe/etc. IMHO the factions should all be striving towards the same overall goal in terms of plot - but have different ways of achieving them. For instance, it makes sense the Klingons are more combat(or PvP focused) but that does not mean they should have no story/pvecontent/etc - nor does that mean the federation shouldn't have more 'combat oriented content'. Using the current state of the game in comparison to the series is a faulty point IMO.

You also went on to state that they should focus entirely on PvE or PvP - and I honestly believed that is flawed logic at least from a development stand point. PvE content isn't cheap or quick to create, while PvP content is more of a sandbox approach of 'heres a map, have fun'. While PvP requires tweaks(in terms of balance) overall it's both quicker and cheaper to accomplish. While many people don't PvP - for the people whom do(wether they PvE or not) PvP is a lot less 'repetitive' because it's not scripted as PvE content. As such if your dev team can outpoint consitent tweaks(unlike what they are doing now) then PvP content can satisfy a great many until the next PvE content releases. Which is never a bad thing.
Lt. Commander
# 106
01-19-2011, 11:46 AM
I would also like to see KDF have more unique PvE stories and hopefully Cryptic will not leave us to simply write our own KDF Foundry missions as a solution.
Lt. Commander
# 107
01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Aren't lifers-from-launch just eight months away from breaking even and essentially going F2P past that point?
Even for lifers who wouldn't have dropped their sub after the first few months and still wouldn't come back at this point (who will have a permanent loss), I don't think any theoretical break-even point can be placed until the start of March 2012, which is two annual subscriptions at $240.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
...Wouldn't the Federation just give her a hypo to calm her? The only puzzle I saw is why would you even put that in a game.
Agreed with most of your post, especially about the fleet actions and this. Their idea of 'non-combat content' seems to be limited to reading comprehension tests and questionably worded trivia quizzes.
Lt. Commander
# 108
01-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Until more factions like the Romulans and Cardassians are released, I certainly won't feel like I've gotten my money's worth. Don't get me wrong, starfleet and the KDF are fun to play, but I've seen their ships so many times in the t.v. series that I'd like some fresh new races to add more variety in addition to keeping STO fun and interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 109
01-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
Until more factions like the Romulans and Cardassians are released, I certainly won't feel like I've gotten my money's worth. Don't get me wrong, starfleet and the KDF are fun to play, but I've seen their ships so many times in the t.v. series that I'd like some fresh new races to add more variety in addition to keeping STO fun and interesting.
So your 'moneys worth' comes from ship skins, and not 'gameplay content'? So if 30 new ships came out, but you had to play the same content(that we have been) playing over and over you wouldn't feel 'cheated'?
Lt. Commander
# 110
01-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
So your 'moneys worth' comes from ship skins, and not 'gameplay content'? So if 30 new ships came out, but you had to play the same content(that we have been) playing over and over you wouldn't feel 'cheated'?
Content is quite a misleading term because some people consider ships content and others don't. About the repetitiveness of playing through the same missions again and again, I don't see that as a big issue if the combat/gameplay is actually entertaining in and of its own. Other MMO's shamelessly lure you into raids that yield gear you need to unlock even more raids but in my opinion those raids aren't what I'd call content that I'd want to play through just as I don't call the STF's content I'd want to play through.

My money's worth therefore is the weekly episodes, the changes in STO which hopefully will make it more of an RPG (diverse and class-dependent objectives for example), the Foundry, and upcoming changes to both space and ground combat systems. The crew system and other things. Seeing as I've got a LTS, I look back to every month I enjoyed myself in with STO and figure that the more time the game exists and I enjoy it still, I actually pay less and less as time goes by.

City of Heroes in comparison was entertaining and fulfilling because of their class/power-set system but once I've got what I wanted from that game (and after Cryptic sold it to NCSoft) I realized it won't really change in ways that would satisfy me and I moved on after 5 years of fun gameplay, that's about $900.

WoW in comparison made me feel dumb once I realized it was a cleverly disguised lure for me to drop my $15 per month into while every part of the gameplay had obvious time-sinks that made me feel like a worker drone rather than a fantasy Hero, so I left.

By my book, Cryptic gets things (mostly) right because at the very least, they seem focused on giving me gameplay I enjoy and with out that, no matter what fancy pixels and words you lay before me, I won't have fun as was the case with WoW and other games I've left behind..