Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 181
01-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I am a fed player that has made a Klingon for a couple hours and then left the character in oblivion. I fully expect to return to it and level it all the way when the KDF has as much as the fed side. After all why would I want to play an alt on the same game but with less features, just for the privilidge of using green winged ships and orion slave girls.? Oh yes because All this time I wanted a fed in a loincloth....

In all seriousness, KDF constitutes the 12% only because people like me are not motivated to try. So this percentage does not represent an accurate ratio but rather the result of a less developed part of the game. Would you walk into a restaurant to eat if they were still building it? 12% of you do.

IMO

I have to agree that making the KDF an opposing faction was the wrong decision. When the Alpha quadrant is facing enemies like the Borg, Species 8472 and the Iconians (soon enough), it makes no sense to keep this setup for the benefit of PVP. WE already have war games and rogue factions. People must understand that the game can only have true open PVP if its structured like EVE. So fleets can decide to go rogue and have their own agenda, but official planetary governments will be in a unified but delicate alliance that is trying to save the quadrant from utter annihilation. (very much like Squidx mentioned sometime earlier).

This will solve the problem of content by having "universal" missions that all sub factions can take (so you can have Romulans and Cardassians and all others added) and then design some mission that will only be available to a sub faction which is more themed.

I would welcome such a change not only because it will move the story along but it will also speed up playable content and make faction specific missions more of a special event.
Lt. Commander
# 182
01-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veovin
In all honesty when the game came out it was said that the Klingon side was developed for PVP, and that it would have signifigantly less content than the federation side. It wasn't till far after the primary launch of the game and people began whining that it was too hard to level up. Its ok I get it I really do. I've been working on a klingon since the end of open beta, and its only lt cmndr 10 now. But I don't ***** because I always understood there was going to be far less content for that faction. In theory most of the exsisiting Klingon content can be applied to new upcoming factions, like the events in the Pi Canis Sector block for the Klingons, and the coming Psi Valorum, not to mention B'Trann. Just a little food for thought.
Yes and No.

The faction was slated as PvP centric and the cries of "NO" were evident even in closed beta, well before release. It was not that the leveling is hard, one must only kill ad nausieum to level pre/post release, or that the faction lacked any storyline to make it fun. It was both together added on top of the (forum driven) insult that the KDF faction was not worth the effort to flesh out.
Fans exist outside of the federation and wished to see thier fun elevated as well, thankfully the Devs responded with more content.
Lt. Commander
# 183
01-26-2011, 09:44 AM
funny that people pretend that they don't know that the endgame content for both sides is pretty much the same
Lt. Commander
# 184
01-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Perhaps I didn't come off clearly, I'm not saying anyones wrong for wanting more content for the Klingon faction. I'd like to see more but from a business standpoint the bread and butter of this game is the Federation faction. At this point tallks of adding a a new faction is a premature idea, but I would love it that if the KDF players would cut back on the complaining due to the nerfing of abilitites as they get content. They come off as wanting their cake and eating it to to me. You can't have it both ways. And to the player who informed me that the game was previously announced with PvE content for both factions thnk you for correctig me. I did not know that.
Lt. Commander
# 185
01-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
False. Here is how it happened:

1) When Cryptic first acquired the game, they said both factions would have full PvE content.
Link?

Quote:
2) Cryptic did not say anything differently until 4 months before launch, when they announced Klingons would launch as PvP focused.
Really? I knew during F&F. We were talking about it in IRC long before launch.

Quote:
3) However, they stated BEFORE launch that even though Klingons would be PvP focused at launch, more PvE content would be added if that is what players wanted.
And are doing exactly that.
Lt. Commander
# 186
01-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Link?

Really? I knew during F&F. We were talking about it in IRC long before launch.

And are doing exactly that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcAn3nhf97Y

It was more like 2mnths before launch they dropped the PVP only Bomb - man did the boards explode and the threads did not stop until it was archived.
Lt. Commander
# 187
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
False. Here is how it happened:

1) When Cryptic first acquired the game, they said both factions would have full PvE content.

2) Cryptic did not say anything differently until 4 months before launch, when they announced Klingons would launch as PvP focused.

3) However, they stated BEFORE launch that even though Klingons would be PvP focused at launch, more PvE content would be added if that is what players wanted.

So there are 2 main reasons people are upset about what happened. The first reason is because what happened at launch was different from what Cryptic originally said. The second reason is because they do not think Cryptic has released enough PvE post launch.
Not to fan any flames here, but for the record....

1. Absolutely not true... I've been on the content team for STO since the very beginning. We said that there would be two factions, and that you would be able to play as a Klingon. The community ASSUMED that meant that both factions would have full PVE content.

2. We did not tell the community one way or the other if this was in fact what was going to happen, because we were not sure how much time in our overall schedule we were going to have to create content for the KDF Faction. Stuff changes when a game is in development, and we generally don't say anything about it to our customers until we have a pretty good idea if what we say is likely to happen.

A few months prior to launch we had a pretty good idea of what we could and could not do for the KDF Faction, and then Stahl let everyone know.

3. We have added content to the KDF Faction since launch, however the majority of STO players only play Federation characters and there is only so much we can do every day. We will continue to add KDF content to the game. If it's not fast enough for some people, well... there really isn't much we can do about that..
Lt. Commander
# 188
01-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer

1. Absolutely not true... I've been on the content team for STO since the very beginning. We said that there would be two factions, and that you would be able to play as a Klingon. The community ASSUMED that meant that both factions would have full PVE content.

2. We did not tell the community one way or the other if this was in fact what was going to happen, because we were not sure how much time in our overall schedule we were going to have to create content for the KDF Faction. Stuff changes when a game is in development, and we generally don't say anything about it to our customers until we have a pretty good idea if what we say is likely to happen.

A few months prior to launch we had a pretty good idea of what we could and could not do for the KDF Faction, and then Stahl let everyone know.

3. We have added content to the KDF Faction since launch, however the majority of STO players only play Federation characters and there is only so much we can do every day. We will continue to add KDF content to the game. If it's not fast enough for some people, well... there really isn't much we can do about that..
Number 3 keeps being batted about as though there is no interest in playing Klingons. Don't you think the lack of content on Klingon Side is the Reason people tend not to play Klingons?

As for the other points. Far be it for people to ASSUME that the Klingons would be a full faction. WE were just told repeatedly that it won't be like Monster play and that the content on Klingon Side would be equal to the Federation. It would just be more of a PvP slant to it. Instead we got Arenas...
Lt. Commander
# 189
01-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Quote:

Explain this video then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcAn3nhf97Y
Lt. Commander
# 190
01-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Quote:
the majority of STO players only play Federation characters
I'd be willing to wager that if ya'll released a season packed full of KDF content, you'd see that number turn around. There's a reason I don't play my Klingon. It's extremely light on content. That will change when the foundry goes to holodeck, but I'd rather play Cryptic missions.
Closed Thread