Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 221
01-27-2011, 07:38 PM
<speculation>

I have a feeling that Cryptic has discussed this at length internally. Their goal currently is to defend and promote what they have added to the KDF since launch. At the same time they have to NOT commit to spending resources creating KDF-Only Content in lieu of The Foundry's launch.

Once The Foundry launches they will look to the community to fill in the content gaps while they continue to focus on faction agnostic content.

So Gozer's remarks are probably symptomatic of their state internally - defend what's been done in the past and hold it down until community-written content can pick up the slack.

</speculation>
Lt. Commander
# 222
01-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Everyone wants a better Klingon faction.

Did what Jack say in an informal interview that Gozer might not have been aware of contradict Gozer's statement? Yes.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't see a personal cam video from two years ago that made its way onto YouTube.

Reasonable, but you do realize he came in here gunz blazing too. With big bold red text none the less. It's cool, that's what people do though.
Lt. Commander
# 223
01-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Darren, no one is denying that the plans changed. However, Gozer is claiming in his last post that the plan for Klingons to have full PvE content NEVER EXISTED in the first place, and we have video proof that is wrong. Of course the plans changed. But that doesnt mean they NEVER EXISTED as Gozer is claiming.
No disrespect to Gozer, but he is presenting his view and perception of events and was either not aware of or privvy to discussions at executive levels.

To set the record straight (de'ja vu) - I think I put it best in a recent interview when I said we pretty much promised anything and everything when it came to Klingon play prior to launch and that if you really went and dug up information from emails and discussions and interviews - it wouldn't surprise me in the least what you'd find in terms of the KDF Faction.

Prior to launch, Craig did attempt to start communicating that KDF at launch was going to be PVP only - and in Beta that is exactly what it was.

It was during Beta that Jack started to talk about "if the players want KDF PVE - we'll listen" - but at that late stage in the game, there was not much the development team can do to instantly come up with 30 hours of KDF PVE content compared to what was made for the Fed side.

You'll notice that as early as Season 1 we started to address this and every release since has been adding KDF PVE content or at the very least content playable by any faction.

Does the KDF have a long ways to go before it is comparable to the Feds? yes.

Will they ever have as much PVE content as the Feds? Not in the short term.

Are we going to stop everything we are doing and only work on the KDF? nope.

Am I committed to seeing a healthy KDF faction on par with the FED faction? 100% yes.

That is the situation that I've been reiterating (and I do mean reiterating - I say all of this quite frequently) since I took the Executive Producer helm in July.

Can that make up for all the nonesense that was said pre-launch? Nope.

It is what it is and we are working on making it better every single day.

Gozer did do the remastered episode because it was on his schedule to do it now. Gozer doesn't know why it is on his schedule now... only that it is because I put it there.

So if you want to blame anyone for Remastered Azura before anything else blame me.

But I think my track record of supporting KDF has been very clear. Every update the KDF improves. It will continue to do so on my watch.
Lt. Commander
# 224
01-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
Not to fan any flames here, but for the record....

1. Absolutely not true... I've been on the content team for STO since the very beginning. We said that there would be two factions, and that you would be able to play as a Klingon. The community ASSUMED that meant that both factions would have full PVE content.

2. We did not tell the community one way or the other if this was in fact what was going to happen, because we were not sure how much time in our overall schedule we were going to have to create content for the KDF Faction. Stuff changes when a game is in development, and we generally don't say anything about it to our customers until we have a pretty good idea if what we say is likely to happen.

A few months prior to launch we had a pretty good idea of what we could and could not do for the KDF Faction, and then Stahl let everyone know.

3. We have added content to the KDF Faction since launch, however the majority of STO players only play Federation characters and there is only so much we can do every day. We will continue to add KDF content to the game. If it's not fast enough for some people, well... there really isn't much we can do about that..
Don't know.....but I think a few angry Klingons around the office might do the trick.
Lt. Commander
# 225
01-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Everyone wants a better Klingon faction.

Did what Jack say in an informal interview that Gozer might not have been aware of contradict Gozer's statement? Yes.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't see a personal cam video from two years ago that made its way onto YouTube.

Lying implies intent to deceive. If anyone in this thread can prove his intent was such, feel free to continue. However, I know I can't meet that burden of proof. I can't prove his intent was such. I'd rather give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'd rather move forward and build something - instead of clinging to old data and expectations and dreams deferred. Let's do something.
Gozer came in here and stated with exclamation using red lettering and underlining that there weren't ever plans for full PVE content for Klingons. I consider that a lie if he says he has been here since the beginning then he would be privy to the designers talking about full PVE for both factions.

If he had said he didn't think there was ever the plan for full PVE content that is one thing, but he stated for a fact that there were no plans for full PVE.
Lt. Commander
# 226
01-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
No disrespect to Gozer, but he is presenting his view and perception of events and was either not aware of or privvy to discussions at executive levels.

To set the record straight (de'ja vu) - I think I put it best in a recent interview when I said we pretty much promised anything and everything when it came to Klingon play prior to launch and that if you really went and dug up information from emails and discussions and interviews - it wouldn't surprise me in the least what you'd find in terms of the KDF Faction.

Prior to launch, Craig did attempt to start communicating that KDF at launch was going to be PVP only - and in Beta that is exactly what it was.

It was during Beta that Jack started to talk about "if the players want KDF PVE - we'll listen" - but at that late stage in the game, there was not much the development team can do to instantly come up with 30 hours of KDF PVE content compared to what was made for the Fed side.

You'll notice that as early as Season 1 we started to address this and every release since has been adding KDF PVE content or at the very least content playable by any faction.

Does the KDF have a long ways to go before it is comparable to the Feds? yes.

Are we going to stop everything we are doing and only work on the KDF? nope.

Am I committed to seeing a healthy KDF faction on par with the FED faction? 100% yes.

That is the situation that I've been reiterating (and I do mean reiterating - I say all of this quite frequently) since I took the Executive Producer helm in July.

Gozer did do the remastered episode because it was on his schedule to do it now. Gozer doesn't know why it is on his schedule now... only that it is because I put it there.

So if you want to blame anyone for Remastered Azura before anything else blame me.

But I think my track record of supporting KDF has been very clear. Every update the KDF improves. It will continue to do so on my watch.
Despite what was said or done in the past, I think the game is currently headed in the right direction, much thanks to your specific leadership. So thanks for that, as well as your honesty above
Lt. Commander
# 227
01-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Thanks Dan! It makes me feel a little better to see that more is being done.
Lt. Commander
# 228
01-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Which he has every right to do.... and so do I. Just in case some fellow forum members cared.

Quote:

Good enough for me. Now I am going to sneak right back out of this flame fest.:p Cya!
Lt. Commander
# 229
01-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Quote:

This is what I wanted to hear. I have faith in Dstahl's commitment to this game. Maybe I missed it before, but this is the first time I've seen someone make a statement that KDF will one day be on par with KDF.

Thank you Dtsahl
Lt. Commander
# 230
01-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Quote:
^^ The reason why I stopped foaming at the mouth about it. ^^

Might as well enjoy whatever you like in the game. It's getting better but it'll be slow.
Closed Thread