Lt. Commander
# 111
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
So I have kept playing this game some. Remaking as a Sorcery/Hand Blast heroine working for Batman. Because Batman is awesome.

So the first order of business is to bust Johnathan Crane, or The Scarecrow as most people know him. Now this is what I am talking about.

Naturally, I have to thwart his evil plan first. So I go around pummeling his minions into submission and completing acts of heroic daring do. I have found that Hand Blast, despite it's apparent ranged connotations or shooting stuff from your hands, is actually a very good melee powerset. Who knew? Although trying other sets, this game seems to have a preference for melee powers in ranged sets and some nice ranged powers in what you would expect in a melee set. Dual Pistols, for example, has a really fun melee animation that ends with a groin kick for massive damage.

As someone else mentioned, Sorcery is also a rather odd duck here. It says it is a healing set, yet it seems to be more control and blast. I have an AoE cone attack, a stun attack, a ranged blast attack, and a melee AoE and knockback attack. Having tried other sets, the only set that does really seem to be what it claims is Gadgets, with the powers there I have tried all having some kind of stun. So a lot of the game's sets seem either mislabeled or counter-intuitive.

Either way on with the story. After thwarting the evil plan, seeing some of the sights of Gotham, and dealing with Det. Harvey Bullock, I head into Scarecrow's secret lair. There I link up with Batwoman and have an actually enjoyable boss-fight with Scarecrow. It is difficult, but at the same time not stupidly difficult. I would imagine it's partly because I have mastered the art of rolling out of the way of big attacks. When blocking, hit a movement button. Instead of shuffling forward like a Roman Legionnaire holding his shield before him as he advances against a tide of Celts like in Champions, if you move while blocking, you roll. Which is handy for dodging.

On the whole, the game is better than I thought and not just because I went in with very low expectations. Socially, it seems worse than STO however. Probably because of the increased difficulty of chatting. There are some things I really like. Mostly the DC setting. But also the boss fights seem better put together and are more than keep shooting until it's dead.

The lack of customization issue, while getting better as I am picking stuff up and just about every item unlocks some costume piece, is still off-putting. And the hair options still suck. Why do so many MMOs just have bad hair choices?

I have tried several other sets and combinations. You have seen my Two-Handed/Mental villain. I have also tried a Dual Pistols/Gadgets villain and a Fire/Staff hero.
Lt. Commander
# 112
01-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Playing as my Superman Prime is oh so fun! James Masters doing the voice of Lex is really good and I love it and squeel like the schoolgirl I secretly am whever I hear it.

@Flasherman - tenforward League? What a splendid idea, I may pop on darkness falls and hunt you down.

Im currently loving Ice powers.... but shockingly, Nature has become a close number 2 due to the AWESOME shapeshifting powers

Look me up. I intend to be creating various supers soon though a lot of mine are minor comics characters. Like Nekron or Ion or Hath-Set

Kids..... being a villain is SO fun
Lt. Commander
# 113
01-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Final review.

I have canceled my sub to DCUO.

The game has some good points.

1. Writing and voice acting. The episodes were well written. The voice acting was superb.
2. Combat can be fun once you get used to the strange control scheme.
3. It is set in the style of the DCU.

It has some pretty big bad points though.
1. Control scheme sucks. Combos are cool when you can pull them off, but the problem is pulling them off. The game seems to have trouble differentiating a tap from a hold and as a result you don't do what you want to or do something completely different. Not to mention the crappy UI.

2. Limited options. I can't make Green Lantern. I can kinda make Superman...if I never use any superpowers and just brawl my way through the game. The game needs more basic power sets.

3. Costume. More costume options need to be available up front. It's cool we can unlock more, but give us more options in general. This may be because I am coming from costume free for alls of CoH and Champs, but I believe those games are the standard for superhero MMOs. This game falls waaaay short of that.

4. XP progression is strange. I am dying for missions at character creation. At 18, I am awash in stuff to do, most of it 8+ levels below me. Leveling is faster then in STO. I did an entire level just doing the Booster Gold exploration kiosks. No fighting, just listening. Another level was earned touring The Watchtower. But these missions are unavailable at character creation when you need them.

5. Power Balance. I have a power called Stealth on my Archer. At least that is what the game calls it. I call it my challenge elimination tool. It grants me the option to stun targets or plant an AoE almost insta-kill bomb without revealing myself. Or I can instakill people, but that reveals my position. And I can get this at level 4. All powersets have at least one power with this level of overpowering. The game is too easy. Except when...

6. Everything is piled up on top of each other. The game world is huge, but everything happens in the same 10% area of the world so everything is bunched up really close. Meaning you inevitably find yourself swarmed by dozens of extra pulls when you try to walk down the street.

7. The Chat system sucks. I mean really sucks. Let's say you want to tell your team not to attack this guy until you are all ready. You have to open the chat window, which will stop you from doing whatever it is you are doing like fighting or moving. Type your message and be sure to make sure you have the right /channel (no quick options here, if you don't specify the channel with /channel, you will say it in local chat). Then your teammates receive the message. And because the chat bar only shows like the last four messages, they have to open their chat windows (stopping what they are doing) and scroll up to find the message. And the chat box cannot be resized.

Furthermore, there is no quick reply option for tells. You have to open your chat menu, type /tell "name" (gotta have the quotes around the name) and then type your message. Torespond, the other guys has to do likewise.

As a result, nobody bothers talking in this game.

8. Teaming. Let's say you and three friends team up. They are all a level below you and have a mission that you did last night. They can't share this mission with you. And so you don't get any xp, cash, or loot from it. Just the 1-5 xp per kill. Yeah, 1-5 xp per guy. As a result, unless it is to take down a big bounty target, teaming is pointless unless you both are doing the exact same mission.

In many ways, it feels like the game designers started making a single player game and were told 80% of the way through when they still working on content and fun stuff for the game it was supposed to be an MMO. So they dropped the content part and devoted what resources they had left into shoehorning in a chat and teaming system.

It makes a decent single player game but fails completely as an MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 114
01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Well my kids and I love the game, we get a kick out of the mix and matching of the power sets with the weapon sub. It's not the greatest game out there, but it can be fun for what it is. I have no plans on dropping this game as of now, unless there is a Marvel Online type that comes out the door. lol

BTW I have played every MMO hero game to date, and I like this one the best. Sorry Champs but your a close 2nd.
Lt. Commander
# 115
01-26-2011, 02:51 PM
I love it on the PS3. Having an ergonomic controller instead of having to futz with keyboard and mouse is great. The game also has voice chat integrated which is great.
Lt. Commander
# 116
01-26-2011, 07:05 PM
What she said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Final review.

I have canceled my sub to DCUO.

The game has some good points.

1. Writing and voice acting. The episodes were well written. The voice acting was superb.
2. Combat can be fun once you get used to the strange control scheme.
3. It is set in the style of the DCU.

It has some pretty big bad points though.
1. Control scheme sucks. Combos are cool when you can pull them off, but the problem is pulling them off. The game seems to have trouble differentiating a tap from a hold and as a result you don't do what you want to or do something completely different. Not to mention the crappy UI.

2. Limited options. I can't make Green Lantern. I can kinda make Superman...if I never use any superpowers and just brawl my way through the game. The game needs more basic power sets.

3. Costume. More costume options need to be available up front. It's cool we can unlock more, but give us more options in general. This may be because I am coming from costume free for alls of CoH and Champs, but I believe those games are the standard for superhero MMOs. This game falls waaaay short of that.

4. XP progression is strange. I am dying for missions at character creation. At 18, I am awash in stuff to do, most of it 8+ levels below me. Leveling is faster then in STO. I did an entire level just doing the Booster Gold exploration kiosks. No fighting, just listening. Another level was earned touring The Watchtower. But these missions are unavailable at character creation when you need them.

5. Power Balance. I have a power called Stealth on my Archer. At least that is what the game calls it. I call it my challenge elimination tool. It grants me the option to stun targets or plant an AoE almost insta-kill bomb without revealing myself. Or I can instakill people, but that reveals my position. And I can get this at level 4. All powersets have at least one power with this level of overpowering. The game is too easy. Except when...

6. Everything is piled up on top of each other. The game world is huge, but everything happens in the same 10% area of the world so everything is bunched up really close. Meaning you inevitably find yourself swarmed by dozens of extra pulls when you try to walk down the street.

7. The Chat system sucks. I mean really sucks. Let's say you want to tell your team not to attack this guy until you are all ready. You have to open the chat window, which will stop you from doing whatever it is you are doing like fighting or moving. Type your message and be sure to make sure you have the right /channel (no quick options here, if you don't specify the channel with /channel, you will say it in local chat). Then your teammates receive the message. And because the chat bar only shows like the last four messages, they have to open their chat windows (stopping what they are doing) and scroll up to find the message. And the chat box cannot be resized.

Furthermore, there is no quick reply option for tells. You have to open your chat menu, type /tell "name" (gotta have the quotes around the name) and then type your message. Torespond, the other guys has to do likewise.

As a result, nobody bothers talking in this game.

8. Teaming. Let's say you and three friends team up. They are all a level below you and have a mission that you did last night. They can't share this mission with you. And so you don't get any xp, cash, or loot from it. Just the 1-5 xp per kill. Yeah, 1-5 xp per guy. As a result, unless it is to take down a big bounty target, teaming is pointless unless you both are doing the exact same mission.

In many ways, it feels like the game designers started making a single player game and were told 80% of the way through when they still working on content and fun stuff for the game it was supposed to be an MMO. So they dropped the content part and devoted what resources they had left into shoehorning in a chat and teaming system.

It makes a decent single player game but fails completely as an MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 117
01-27-2011, 10:03 PM
The funny thing is, DCUO was more fun, and almost more polished in Alpha.

Then they started ******* with it.