Lt. Commander
Ok so I've read some threads about how hard it is to use a joystick to play STO. Despite this I decided to try to use one I already had laying around. It's a Logitech Extreme3D Pro. My OS is Win7x64.

I managed to get the ship controls fine. Of course the throttle button is broke, but hey that's not a problem.

The problem is: The options for what your joystick buttons can do are useless. Examples:

Next Button, Previous button, right shoulder, left shoulder, left stick, right stick, dpad up, down, left, right, accept, cancel etc al.

I don't want my buttons to do any of that stuff. I just want it to control up,down,left,right and be mappable to my keybinds.

So i can have a button to throttle up, throttle down, use skill 1-10, or ctl 1-10 that stuff. oh and redirect shields also.

But NONE of my joystick buttons register under keybinds.

I'm not ranting....I'm asking for devs there in Cryptic to talk about how easy or difficult it would be to map joystick buttons to the keybinds. Any devs mind posting some feedback?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I have the same device and a similar OS. I can use the joystick to pivot my ship. I would like to have the trigger set up so that by holding it down contituously, it fires all weapons as soon as their cool down is over (I would like it to react like a turbo function on some game controlers). I have called Logitech several times, and they have not been very helpful as their response is to reinstall the drivers (which I have done numerous times). The drivers are not the problem, the problem is in the keybind functions of the game. Please Devs, can you get back to us on how to properly bind the joysticks?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-25-2011, 08:43 PM
ok I am doing some research into this and I do think I have it figured out I will edit this post as soon as I do have it confirmed
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Please do keep us informed, as I am using the same joystick and would be very curious to see if they can be more useful. I too was very let down when I, just now, found out how frustrating the joystick interface is with STO.
Ensign
# 5 Joystick
11-12-2013, 12:54 AM
Wow! First I was just so surprised that Star Trek Online has been around since 2007 (the date on this thread). But then I was really blown away that in all this time the developers have still not programmed joystick functionality into the game. I have the same Logitech joystick mentioned above and I cannot get it to work either. After playing the game for a bit, my hands get tired and a little sore. A joystick would make STO so much more playable.