Lt. Commander
# 91
01-31-2011, 03:42 PM
I can see it now..**** off Q and your toon gets banished to the gamma or delta quadrant and you spend the next two years working your way back to esd.
Lt. Commander
# 92
01-31-2011, 04:23 PM
I guess my beef... I hate comedic "dumb" Q. Q in Encounter At Farpoint was menacing and pretty awesome. If he was presented like that through the whole show I would have liked him. You know why Trelane was an awesome pre-Q? It is because they didn't go too far with the humor, it was too the point and explained what a petulant God-child would be like.

Q? They just used him as comic relief after Encounter At Farpoint. I guess everyone is free to continue liking him, I just think too many people don't realize that's what Q turned into - cheap comic relief.

I didn't mind the appearance of the son of Q in STO, bunt I don't want him to turn into a crutch and an excuse why something happens too often.
Lt. Commander
# 93
01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan_chShran View Post
I guess my beef... I hate comedic "dumb" Q. Q in Encounter At Farpoint was menacing and pretty awesome. If he was presented like that through the whole show I would have liked him. You know why Trelane was an awesome pre-Q? It is because they didn't go too far with the humor, it was too the point and explained what a petulant God-child would be like.

Q? They just used him as comic relief after Encounter At Farpoint. I guess everyone is free to continue liking him, I just think too many people don't realize that's what Q turned into - cheap comic relief.

I didn't mind the appearance of the son of Q in STO, bunt I don't want him to turn into a crutch and an excuse why something happens too often.
For me, the problem was that Q became mundane to the crew.

The twist with his episode of DS9 was nice, imo. He wasn't really the one responsible, he just got blamed for it.

Personally, my problem with the son of Q is that he appears in the Farpoint garb. I understand it's the iconic garb for Q, but it really doesn't fit the flights of whimsy that Q represented.
Lt. Commander
# 94
01-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
For me, the problem was that Q became mundane to the crew.

The twist with his episode of DS9 was nice, imo. He wasn't really the one responsible, he just got blamed for it.

Personally, my problem with the son of Q is that he appears in the Farpoint garb. I understand it's the iconic garb for Q, but it really doesn't fit the flights of whimsy that Q represented.
See, and that's what I liked about Q in STO (so far!)
Lt. Commander
# 95
01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx View Post
In the series he tells Picard that he picked a human form so they could identify with him better. But that if he had known a woman would (the archeologist woman whose name I cannot recall) have ''such'' an effect on him, he would have appeared as a woman instead .
Vash was her name
Lt. Commander
# 96
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
"Q" was not always comic relief after Farpoint. He had some good moments and frankly he would have been worse if De Lancie had not been able to adlib a few times. By far the humor injected into any series has been worse (on average) than any "Q" appearance.

Don't get me wrong, like the Borg, I feel Voyager handled him badly.

Also get off the myth thing, "Q" was the "trickster" archetype, not a stand in for all mythology. Learn some comparative mythology.....