Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2011, 12:16 AM
is a star cruiser classed as a carrier ?
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2011, 04:35 AM
1. Fed carriers not Trecky
2.Carriers aren't that much fun to play , just my humble opinon, but I thnk many would agree, very easy to play very powerfully but not much fun, watch Zorena's carrier video .
3. Stormshade didn't have a clue Carriers groups were OP due to the pet spam and are getting nerfed.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2011, 04:44 AM
well i would love to see a fed light carrier with 1 bay it would be nice. to cut back on pet spam why not half the fighters but 2x their stats?
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenanter
2.Carriers aren't that much fun to play , just my humble opinon, but I thnk many would agree, very easy to play very powerfully but not much fun, watch Zorena's carrier video .
3. Stormshade didn't have a clue Carriers groups were OP due to the pet spam and are getting nerfed.
  1. Agreed, we never saw any Carriers in Trek (except perhaps the Scimitar and it's Romulan fighters but those were never used on-screen except as an escape vessel for Picard & Data).
  2. Agreed.
  3. The issue with pet spam is a UI one, not an issue with the pets themselves or their numbers. The devs know this, and are working on a way to specify targeting only player-controlled ships if the player so chooses.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenanter
1. This game is in all regards soft canon,Federation carriers do exist in a number of books and games.
2. Carriers can be fun to play,but much like the BoP it takes a lot of skill to make it work.It's not the ships that are powerful,it's the player that makes them that way.Sucky player + carrier = easy kill.
3. Carrier groups are OP? What about Fed cruiser groups? They seem pretty OP to me.

With the changes coming to the carrier: less fighters,less hull for the BoP,Aux level effecting the launch bays,the shield nerf.....one of my friends,an experienced carrier captain who was always against the Feds getting a carrier,says...let them have a carrier,as long as it's a exact copy of the Vo'quv.All those Feds that don't want to play KDF and cry that the carrier is OP because they can't beat one in 1v1,let them have a 'flying brick with pets' ......I'll bet that within an hour of release they will cry that the ship is a POS and it needs to be buffed......and that the KDF carriers are still OP.

Experienced Klingons will always be considered OP,no matter what ship they fly.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Excellent idea.
give the feds a exact copy of the Vov to start with so they can know it before they get their better designed Akira light carrier.
Then the Devs can fix our beloved Vov.
Lt. Commander
# 17 not really
02-01-2011, 07:09 AM
this game is not soft canon or it would be easy to get more ships in game. every ship must be approved by CBS. so please do not talk rediculous talk about canon and non canon. Federation carriers did not take place.

I remeber seeing one person talk about the dominion war. if that person would remeber the fighters "HAVE THEIR OWN WARP DRIVE" so there was no need for carriers now while i do agree adding a few pets to a captains ship is cool and some of you want to be able to play alone or do pvp solo. That is not star trek. i understand why most of you wish to play alone. finding people who are not jerks or morons in this game is somewhat hard. Finidng a fleet.

This has been discussed in many thread. post and blogs. The discussion has been through heat arguments and word wars of canon and non canon. One argument was the dominion war, to those people i ask them to view all of star trek DS9 and the last few ep of TNG and then come back to the table.

The federation do not have carriers and did not have carreirs because they did not believe in starting conflicts or building war machines. War is and always was the last resort. A carrier is for war. Every federation ship has the ability to do exploration and scientific studies as well as defend the federation. Yes even the defiant and the soverign.

Be sure when you ask for something you ask for if based upon your own selfish reason. Not made up speculation that you think is canon. Or some of you wanting to change aspects of how star trek was made.

Thank you people as i know both sides of the debate can be heated. I just want people who want carriers to not reference canon but their own reason why they want them in. Do not make up canon or try and say this game is soft canon without having proof of such. if that was the case then alot of garbage would be in this mmo.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
1. This game is in all regards soft canon
Soft canon is not internally consistent. This game is just one flavor of soft canon. Soft canon doesn't work like the Star Wars "Expanded Universe" where all authors are expected to adhere to stuff established in other licensed works and the movies. In Startrek, "soft canon" just means that you adhere to stuff established on screen when producing your licensed work.

Soft canon means "there is one licensed work where it appears". It does not establish a consistent timeline of stuff that happened between or outside the stuff shown on screen.

It doesn't mean that the Borg actually cloned Picard to send a Locotus of Borg to conquer the Alpha Quadrant, leading to a massive war against the Borg some time after the Dominion War in the history of Star Trek online. Quite the contrary - in the STO timeline, the Borg were basically unheard of for a few decades and no longer considered an immediate threat.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Thank you Katic, for posting the stuff I didn't feel like going to find for the umpteenth time. Also congrats on the baby!
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
this game is not soft canon or it would be easy to get more ships in game. every ship must be approved by CBS. so please do not talk rediculous talk about canon and non canon. Federation carriers did not take place.

I remeber seeing one person talk about the dominion war. if that person would remeber the fighters "HAVE THEIR OWN WARP DRIVE" so there was no need for carriers now while i do agree adding a few pets to a captains ship is cool and some of you want to be able to play alone or do pvp solo. That is not star trek. i understand why most of you wish to play alone. finding people who are not jerks or morons in this game is somewhat hard. Finidng a fleet.

This has been discussed in many thread. post and blogs. The discussion has been through heat arguments and word wars of canon and non canon. One argument was the dominion war, to those people i ask them to view all of star trek DS9 and the last few ep of TNG and then come back to the table.

The federation do not have carriers and did not have carreirs because they did not believe in starting conflicts or building war machines. War is and always was the last resort. A carrier is for war. Every federation ship has the ability to do exploration and scientific studies as well as defend the federation. Yes even the defiant and the soverign.

Be sure when you ask for something you ask for if based upon your own selfish reason. Not made up speculation that you think is canon. Or some of you wanting to change aspects of how star trek was made.

Thank you people as i know both sides of the debate can be heated. I just want people who want carriers to not reference canon but their own reason why they want them in. Do not make up canon or try and say this game is soft canon without having proof of such. if that was the case then alot of garbage would be in this mmo.
I'm not debating hard canon vs soft canon...because I don't care one way or the other. And STO is based on soft canon,there are a lot of things in the game that can be found in the Star Trek novels,but not in the hard canon series and movies......but again,I don't care.

And if you've ever read my posts in the Fed carrier threads,you would know.....I'm against a Federation carrier.