Lt. Commander
# 21 Oh Really
02-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
I'm not debating hard canon vs soft canon...because I don't care one way or the other. And STO is based on soft canon,there are a lot of things in the game that can be found in the Star Trek novels,but not in the hard canon series and movies......but again,I don't care.

And if you've ever read my posts in the Fed carrier threads,you would know.....I'm against a Federation carrier.
Again please do tell us whats in the game that is not in canon. please do. I would like to hear this. Again i ask if you say something do speculate what it is as we all would like to hear your thoughts on something being soft canon. I have yet to see something in sto of great significants that is not canon.

Also do remember this is the future of star trek, CBS santioned so dont forget that such attributes that deal with architecture, new characters, and the borg are covered
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
Again please do tell us whats in the game that is not in canon. please do. I would like to hear this. Again i ask if you say something do speculate what it is as we all would like to hear your thoughts on something being soft canon. I have yet to see something in sto of great significants that is not canon.

Also do remember this is the future of star trek, CBS santioned so dont forget that such attributes that deal with architecture, new characters, and the borg are covered
What part of I don't care don't you understand? I...do...not...care...about....canon.....period. That's your problem,not mine.I will not be sucked into an argument about canon,go find someone who cares to argue with.

This is a thread about Fed carriers,and I'm saying that if the Feds want a carrier so badly.....give them the 'flying brick' we have and see how they like it.I've money on it that the first 'Fed carrier needs a buff' thread is on the forums within an hour of release.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post

Do they really need to get approval from CBS for anything they put into the game? Where did you get this info from (not doubting your validity, but I am curious).

Also you stated that the Federation does not want to be war-like, but what about the Galaxy-X? That thing is built for war and combat, it has a SUPER weapon on it's back! (Regardless of whether it hits often or not, the sentiment behind the design is still there).

In my opinion, I would like to see the Jupiter Class Dreadnought as a carrier in-game (heck I'd settle for it being anything in-game, as long as it becomes playable), and if it is in-game now that means it has been approved by CBS anyway, so no problems there. :^D

Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-01-2011, 11:44 AM
As I understand it (and I may very well be mistaken), hard canon is only things from on-screen in the shows and movies. Soft canon is novels, comics, video games (including STO), production notes, production models, and deleted scenes. Everything else, fan hypotheses, fan-fiction, interviews, un-done storyline, cast & crew interviews, etc.. Is non-canon. Having no standing.

There is a significant gray area, after all, what would you call a rejected script for an episode released as a novel by the original writer? Is that soft canon, or is it non-canon? What about a scene that was not originally released in TMP, but made it into the Directors cut? However, as a general rule of thumb, I think the standards above are pretty much how most people think about these things.

That makes the Akira Carrier intention (having been gleaned from a crew interview) non-canon. It's inclusion in other Trek games makes it soft canon.

The order of preference goes hard, soft, and then non-canon. Making the Akiras on-screen non-carrier use in First Contact the reigning reality barring a carrier-functional Akira appearing in a show or Film.

Now, this game is soft canon, however, that only weakens the argument for pulling in Carrier-functional Akiras. We don't draw from soft canon to create soft canon, you draw from hard canon to create soft canon, and you draw from hard and soft canon if you're crafting fanfic.

I feel I should state, in the name of full disclosure, that I despise fanfic of all genres and IPs. I consider it a disgraceful abuse of common-usage, not any kind of legitimate "art". If you want to create, create, don't leech off of the success of other artists.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
What part of I don't care don't you understand? I...do...not...care...about....canon.....period. That's your problem,not mine.I will not be sucked into an argument about canon,go find someone who cares to argue with.

This is a thread about Fed carriers,and I'm saying that if the Feds want a carrier so badly.....give them the 'flying brick' we have and see how they like it.I've money on it that the first 'Fed carrier needs a buff' thread is on the forums within an hour of release.
Given that there is a certain someone out there who proposed (in an older thread, not the current battleship thread) a Federation-only battleship that is supposed to "make it even against Klingon carriers"...a ship equipped to tank 7 or 8 carriers simultaneously (that's his understanding of "balance") and is powerful enough "to kick them back to Qo'nos"...and another one that does only play Federation and no "uselsess species" and demands that ships be rebalanced so the Federation always wins because it's canon the Federation always wins that would hardly surprise me.
Actually itt makes me sad that it would not suprise me...
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-01-2011, 04:04 PM
NO to Fed carriers...again