Lt. Commander
# 1 Joystick and Keymapper
10-14-2010, 08:15 PM
The joystick keybinding system is really not user friendly. I have never struggled so much with a single joystick capable game than I have with STO. I initially took the easy way and downloaded a joystick keymapper because my cheap-o joystick didn't come with one. It was a 1 hour solution and it was satisfactory.

But it just seemed ridiculous. I shouldn't need a program in the background to run my joystick properly in a game that has a place to map a joystick. So, I searched the forums. Lo' and behold - by reading these forums and some CoH forums I was able to determing that by saving a custom keymapping, reading the full /cmd list, editing the keymapper in a text editor, and testing it several times, I was able to assign all my joystick buttons to proper bindings - less my throttle axis and a non-existent key-bindable camera axis.

The kicker is that when I went back into the key-bindings page it actually showed that it was bound to "Joy3" or "Joy4" for instance. So even the key-binder menu acknowledged what it was bound to, but it could not accept the initial input to bind it to a joystick button?

Here are some of my requests:
Be able to assign an axis to throttle management.
Be able bind camera movements to keys/and buttons.
Be able to assign any joystick key to any function.
Be able to easily save and load custom keybinding configurations.

Please add this to your list of things To Do

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-14-2010, 08:35 PM
/agreed on all points (although this likely should be in the controls/ui section of the forum)

We've been asking for the devs to re-visit throttles and camera on joysticks since....well, since it first went onto test in the current form.

ps: Devs get with it and add TrackIR support, too (it'd take about one hour of dev time to implement their SDK)

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/...which-sdk.html
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Seconded! The joystick support is quite terrible - unable to keybind anything.
Also Redbeard, don't suppose you have links or instructions for modifying the settings you mentioned?
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-29-2010, 08:59 AM
That non existant mapping you were referring to.

Is that the POV2_Right one.

I cant map a damb thing cause everytime i do, that takes its place.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-29-2010, 09:39 AM
/agreed since it released. I guess it'd make more sense if I knew all the console game controllers, but mapping "PS2 blue button fucntion to joystick 5" doesn't tell me much.

Really needs a way to map camera to hat switches.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-29-2010, 06:35 PM
My ship slowly turns in a circle whenever I enable the joystick, at this point I can't figure out if its a problem with the stick or with the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Extreme 3D Pro, disapointment
12-01-2010, 11:47 PM
I was hopeful...the thought of being able to fly my intrepid, tetryon beams firing, photons launching, all with one hand securely on my flight stick, look out Parris, I'm taking the helm...no go. Just spent 5 hours trying to get this to work! Read the forums, mapped ad nauseum, it simply won't work using only the logitech software. It might with some of the other interface software out there...but I think you begin to have latency issues...not sure...

Any suggestions from our esteemed senior members?
Lt. Commander
# 8 Extreme 3D Pro WORKING!
12-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Okay for those of you who are dealing with the same issues here's the solution...

1) Use the installation CD that came with the joystick, and create a profile that links to the STO .exe file.
2) Configure all your key binds in STO; then EXIT THE GAME (this is what I was not doing)
3) Open the Logitech mapping software and map buttons to match in-game binds
4) Log back in...and there it is!

I think others mentioned the importance of the log out previously, but I missed it. Also it's far from perfect -can't get the throttle to function, and I have to manuallly disable the "Z Axis" each time I boot STO...however...it's pretty cool!

I hope this is helpful!
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDCasolari View Post
Okay for those of you who are dealing with the same issues here's the solution...

1) Use the installation CD that came with the joystick, and create a profile that links to the STO .exe file.
2) Configure all your key binds in STO; then EXIT THE GAME (this is what I was not doing)
3) Open the Logitech mapping software and map buttons to match in-game binds
4) Log back in...and there it is!

I think others mentioned the importance of the log out previously, but I missed it. Also it's far from perfect -can't get the throttle to function, and I have to manuallly disable the "Z Axis" each time I boot STO...however...it's pretty cool!

I hope this is helpful!
I tried this, but i am unable to bind my keys in STO, every time i try to bind fire phasers to my trigger, a small window pops up asking me to select a button from a drop down menu?