Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 471
02-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Wow, those results are pretty interesting. Apparently more people from the group they polled wanted to play Borg and Klingon than Fed...
I'm not sure people are drawing the right conclusion from those results based upon the question. Assuming the "Bord" bit was not a typo in the original survey, the question was what opposing faction would you choose. In my opinion, that suggests what faction would you play in opposition to the Federation. In that case, it makes plenty of sense that most people are not going to want to play against Feds as Feds.

They seem to have similar conclusions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Survey
We asked people to select their favorite opposing faction. I can only guess that this wording had the effect of swaying people away from the Federation. Still, this point clearly deserves more research.
Lt. Commander
# 472
02-02-2011, 08:00 AM
I use my internet time machine and retrieved the original survey pages:
http://web.archive.org/web/200512020...y_results.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200512240...y_results.html

looks legit but the wording threw me too at first, I thought they meant opposing factions.

Presumably, Cryptic did follow-up research - at least dstahl's statements about Fed population levels versus KDF, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 473
02-02-2011, 08:10 AM
I think the poll about which Federation species would you play as is most telling. Human and Vulcan are significantly higher than Klingon even separately, so if you put them both together you'd expect a large gap. This is the another reason I would expect the Federation to be far and away more popular than any other faction: the fact that Human, Vulcan, Andorian, Tellarite, Caitian etc. all are under that banner.
Lt. Commander
# 474
02-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
I'm not sure people are drawing the right conclusion from those results based upon the question. Assuming the "Bord" bit was not a typo in the original survey, the question was what opposing faction would you choose. In my opinion, that suggests what faction would you play in opposition to the Federation. In that case, it makes plenty of sense that most people are not going to want to play against Feds as Feds.

I am thinking Bord is a typo as the original stats were presented as pictures and not text.

I do agree that the question was presented a bit odd and I believe you are correct in your interpretation of the question (i.e. Which faction do you most want to play as against the Federation - Borg being #1).

Also, thanks much to Darren_Kitlor for his advanced search-fu.

Lt. Commander
# 475
02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Presumably, Cryptic did follow-up research - at least dstahl's statements about Fed population levels versus KDF, etc.
I'm pretty certain that his remarks about the 12% of players on Klingon side came from their in-game data mining.

Cryptic's engine allows them to monitor literally everything the playerbase is doing. How much time people spend at each level, where, what accolades they get. The % of people that have ever talked to a certain NPC, etc.

One of the devs, I think it was either Gozer or Dstahl, mentioned that according to their info X% of the players end up doing missions that are 2 or 3 levels below them X% of the time. I forget the numbers, but that's a perfect example of the data mining Cryptic has available to them.
Lt. Commander
# 476
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
Look... I am really fine with how this is. Why? Because Federation appeals to 99 percent of STO players, while KDF is... well - their missions involve killing humans and that's something that a lot of people doesn't like, including me. Sure, flying BoP is fun, but honestly - KDF shouldn't be a full-fledged equivalent of the Federation faction, rather a pvp alternative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizixMan View Post
From what I understand, this is mainly serving two purposes: experimenting with using the new dev tools in-house so that they may make better episodes and improve existing ones (including Klingon) in the future and to extend the game's tutorial elements into the first episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadeComplete
you guys just got a bunch of new T5 ships. Chill out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
I'm pretty certain that his remarks about the 12% of players on Klingon side came from their in-game data mining.
FarsightFrostwhisper ... interesting name, I'll say nothing more about that... I'd like to direct you to the fourteen thousand "Klingons need some love" posts that have all gone unanswered as the reason that even klingons who do manage to drill through the horriffic grind don't like the Klingon side. I'd further point out that there is no PvP to speak of until LG, max level, since feds don't queue in the first place. Your idea of there being ONE SIDE of a pvp event is, well, half brained.

FizixMan, welcome to the one year anniversary of klingons having no content. You sit around with a fist in an uncomfortable place while your everything gets nerfed every three weeks, and see just how happy you are that you're once again being passed over as not important. There used to be tens of thousands of klingons, now there's a dozen and all of them have lifetime subs and four or five federation alts because that's the only way to get any pvp going. The reason there aren't more klingons is because they've been ignored, and the reason they're being ignored is because there aren't more of them. Sound like a happy situation to you?

DecadeComplete, you get new ships every three to five weeks, we get them once a year. Bite me.

Peregrine_Falcon, datamining only proves that you've got available statistics, it doesn't let you know what to do with them.
Lt. Commander
# 477
02-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD

Especially given that the very presence of multiple factions only increased people's intent to buy by 6% when compared with the idea of a single faction game.
Lt. Commander
# 478
02-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Especially given that the very presence of multiple factions only increased people's intent to buy by 6% when compared with the idea of a single faction game.
I suppose that explains APB, DCUO, TOR, and so on... because 6% interest in multiple factions is accurate. Yep, sure.
Lt. Commander
# 479
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldor
I suppose that explains APB, DCUO, TOR, and so on... because 6% interest in multiple factions is accurate. Yep, sure.
It's 6% interest in multiple factions for a Star Trek MMO. Other MMOs have no bearing on that figure.

It means, quite simply, most people are perfectly happy to only play as the Federation. It says nothing about what race they want to play within the Federation, which is why they did a separate question for that in which Klingons come up 3rd.
Lt. Commander
# 480
02-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Wow, 6%. That MUST mean the Klink faction is worth all this fuss.
Closed Thread