Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
# 131
02-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
There are some folks who just want to play the game and aren't necessarily looking to STO for a self-esteem boost.
And ther ARE some people who enjoy MORE of a challenge. The STFs are 3 missions. You have the rest of the game of STO to play in. The STFs are DESIGNED to appeal to those looking for more of a challenge from the game.
Lt. Commander
# 132
02-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
And ther ARE some people who enjoy MORE of a challenge. The STFs are 3 missions. You have the rest of the game of STO to play in. The STFs are DESIGNED to appeal to those looking for more of a challenge from the game.
Well to be fair, so is the difficulty slider. It allows you "more of a challenge" for the entire game so technically you have the entire game to be "challenged" if you want to.
Lt. Commander
# 133
02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
^ Yeah, pretty much that. Doesn't matter now I suppose, what's done is done.
Lt. Commander
# 134
02-04-2011, 03:13 AM
Eh...

I got to say , the chain holds are pretty annoying, and don't really add difficulty so much as irritation.

As for most of the other complaints, not too sure. I am getting very tired of people claiming the Cure is impossible to beat. It's long , and sometimes it can be frustrating, but sometimes it's very fun.

The bottom line is simple:

Assume that 80% of the player base is casual, and 20% is "hardcore".

The hardcore wants hard end-game content with elite level rewards, to pay them back for mastering the game.
The casuals want casual content that they can have fun with. (Like one ship can really fight off 3 Borg Cubes FFS).

The hardcore complain whenever their content is nerfed to please the casuals.
The casuals complain whenever the content is too hard for them to simply walk to the rewards.

What people are missing completely is the hardcore content is like, 1 to 2% of the game. So by altering this 2% of the game you can easily lose 20% of your user base.

And for what? So EVERYONE can have the top-tier equipment? What sort of sense does that make? I'm sorry, but in REAL life, your level of success is based on the amount of work you put into something and the connections you make. You do not get to live like Bill Gates simply because you want to.

Likewise, if someone is good enough to beat the STF's they should get gear that cannot be obtained elsewhere. The casual player (and mind you , I consider myself one) can whine about this until their tongue explodes, but there is no LOGICAL reason why someone who puts in more effort and more skill should not get a better reward.

If the reward was powerful enough to skew PvP or make the casual's gameplay seriously affected, it would be different. But it doesn't.
Lt. Commander
# 135
02-04-2011, 05:45 AM
Sorry to be the one to break it to you but this is a video game.

I don't disagree with the principle of risk versus reward but what I object to is legitimate complaints receiving hateful responses regarding peoples' level of intellect. I will grant you that some of the time folks are being way too stubborn and short-sighted. One of the big positives for me about this game is that you're not "forced" (either by conventional wisdom or by game mechanics) into a certain gameplay style or a certain ship fit the way you are in EVE Online.

But the bottom line is that putting in content that only a few people play specifically to lord their talents over "lesser" players and feed their e-self esteem is a waste of Cryptic's limited time and resources. It's fine to put a reward on a high shelf and make people jump to get it. It's not ok to put it in the sky and ask us to fly (or rely on bugs and exploits). That is what this thread and the others are about.
Lt. Commander
# 136
02-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Quote:

I don't disagree with the principle of risk versus reward but what I object to is legitimate complaints receiving hateful responses regarding peoples' level of intellect. I will grant you that some of the time folks are being way too stubborn and short-sighted. One of the big positives for me about this game is that you're not "forced" (either by conventional wisdom or by game mechanics) into a certain gameplay style or a certain ship fit the way you are in EVE Online.

But the bottom line is that putting in content that only a few people play specifically to lord their talents over "lesser" players and feed their e-self esteem is a waste of Cryptic's limited time and resources. It's fine to put a reward on a high shelf and make people jump to get it. It's not ok to put it in the sky and ask us to fly (or rely on bugs and exploits). That is what this thread and the others are about.
The problem is that people are asking that it be served on a silverplate and its currently on a shelf so you have to stand on your toes to get it.
Lt. Commander
# 137
02-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Quote:

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but some people end up thinking video games are teh srz bizness. And that demographic is the one likely to spend the most on micros, recruiting friends and spreading word of the game.

I understand what you are saying and logically you are absolutely correct. But I think that an important point that some don't want to deal with is the content was never designed for everyone. It really wasn't.

Regarding the bugs and exploits, no argument. It's asinine and unforgivable we have issues with the Cure and KA this late in the game. I have no disagreement about that. The point about holds is valid, the others...are somewhat valid.

What I am concerned about (and my post wasn't very clear on this, my apologies) is Cryptic going too far the other way.
Lt. Commander
# 138
02-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
The problem is that people are asking that it be served on a silverplate and its currently on a shelf so you have to stand on your toes to get it.
I do not disagree! There are some cringeworthy posts where people refuse to do what they need to and would rather write a dissertation defending their decision instead of knuckling down and getting it done. The legitimate objections are coming from people who are actually trying and willing to listen to complete a reasonably challenging exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savnoka
Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but some people end up thinking video games are teh srz bizness. And that demographic is the one likely to spend the most on micros, recruiting friends and spreading word of the game.
According to Gozer's post about fixing these "raids" (he has the database, he should know) it's clear that most people are either opting out of them entirely, haven't leveled enough to do them, or are trying and failing...hence this thread and all the others, and the appearance of STF fixes as a high priority development item in the last Engineering Report. Put another way, there is not a majority of people that enjoy and actively run the STFs as they are, which is why they're being modified...so the demographic you mention above does not appear to have the effect you mentioned.

Very simple: High shelf "yes", sky "no". I don't think this means that all STO gameplay will be completely frivolous and meaningless as you seem to be implying. We're just asking for it to be brought within a reasonable, if challenging, level of difficulty without relying on bugs, exploits, memorizing which 2x2 inch square to stand in to not draw aggro, or relying on rote "maneuvers" being shouted at us by a guide. I should be able to form a casual group and play them to completion, with some exploring and figuring things out along the way, not having to coordinate the gameplay schedules of 5 people (anyone who manages people or sets up meetings in real life know what a challenge this is).
Lt. Commander
# 139
02-05-2011, 02:56 AM
All things considered The Cure is still remarkably little fun to try and get through.