Lt. Commander
# 21
02-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
LOP - this is one of the reasons we are copying foundry missions directly to Holodeck instead of just turning on everything. There is an entirely new system of "beaconizing" (remember beacon guy?) for Foundry missions so that they can get pathing instruction quickly.

Normally when we create a map internally, we check that map into the branch without beacons and then overnight a process runs that plays the map and adds beacon/pathing data so that AI knows what to do.

Taking that overnight process and turning it into something that can run on the fly as thousands of players create and publish their maps and getting the process time down to a small enough window that your mission isn't stuck in publish queue forever is a huge task.

So if you are experiencing these pathing problems, we apologize, but we have a dedicated team working on it to ensure the pathing works properly when the final Foundry hits Holodeck.
wasn't trying to rain on the parade or anything, I knew you guys would fix it. Would just hate to have people not appreciate those 4 missions or not try more UGC because of the pathing.

Thanks for getting it in the queue to be fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Quote:

So if you are experiencing these pathing problems, we apologize, but we have a dedicated team working on it to ensure the pathing works properly when the final Foundry hits Holodeck.
excellent, good to know. thanks for the update.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
LOP - this is one of the reasons we are copying foundry missions directly to Holodeck instead of just turning on everything. There is an entirely new system of "beaconizing" (remember beacon guy?) for Foundry missions so that they can get pathing instruction quickly.

Normally when we create a map internally, we check that map into the branch without beacons and then overnight a process runs that plays the map and adds beacon/pathing data so that AI knows what to do.

Taking that overnight process and turning it into something that can run on the fly as thousands of players create and publish their maps and getting the process time down to a small enough window that your mission isn't stuck in publish queue forever is a huge task.

That's awesome to know dStahl!

I was just puzzled to see an issue complained about in Tribble appear on Holodeck, especially since you guys said about the Foundry, it will be there when it's ready an approach I fully support. It's all about managing first impressions.

As an aside, can you comment about whether or not pathing started getting so wonky because you started implementing author-controlled patrol routes? Are the two related in any way?
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-03-2011, 01:20 PM
My concern about spotlight missions is the fact that they're posted by Q.

Last I checked, Q is not the same account as Havraha, which means that my mission, although attributed to me, will not be controlled by me if it were to be copied from Tribble over to the Holodeck.

Not that this is actually a legitimate problem, considering none of my missions were nominated, but the concern remains - how does the original author of the mission go on to continue updating and improving his mission as more tools unlock on the Foundry if they're not the original poster of the mission?

It seems that they're name will be permanently stuck to a mission they have no control over anymore. This does not sound appealing to me as a Foundry author.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post
My concern about spotlight missions is the fact that they're posted by Q.
It seems to me that just like Q filled in his User ID in the AuthorUserID database field, Q could also eventually replace his User ID with the author's User ID. It's also possible that once the Foundry tool set hits Holodeck, the authors would be requested to port their missions on their own, hopefully with some simple export/import commands. Then Q could attach the reviews and comments of the 'his' version of the mission to the actual mission and then remove 'his' version forever.

Databases are amazing that way!