Lt. Commander
# 21
02-04-2011, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
"All new tech in a candy" shell is crap logic. Retrofits don't work that way and it's an over simplification. You can't fit any tech in any other tech. If you ever did it would likely cost significantly more resources then it should. Try fitting a jet engine in a biplane. Same difference.
I agree with you about a tier5 Akira, but that does not allow you to insult my intelligence...

I had a motorcycle, good bike. Nothing too special just a 1993 FZR600. Well I did replace the 32mm standard front forks with a 51mm inverted fork sourced from a 1997 Kawasaki ZX7. Oh and a speedo cable sourced from a late model Honda CB 1000 allowed me to keep the stock Yamaha speedometer...

I have a 1956 Ford F100 that has a Mustang II front suspension, Baer racing brakes, and a computerized multi-spark discharge unit and a digitized distributor. The "Effie" is a work in progress so I still have to get a plug and play multipoint fuel injection system for it.

Both had/have, (I don't have the bike anymore), a lot more mods than what I listed and had/have more room to be modernized. Cost, while prohibitive, was obviously not high enough to keep me from saving my money to do these things you say can't be done on a ship. In the end your entire diatribe is a strawman argument.

For the record you should do your homework before you make claims about jet engines on bi-planes, and don't even think about trying the same stunt on prop planes that get converted to rocket power either because Burt Rutan's Long EZ would love to have a word with you. they are even starting an entire rocket racing league for the Rocket EZ. They could start the series as soon as this year.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-04-2011, 04:26 AM
i agree!

Akira was one of the TOP ships of the Federation, and should be up there with the Sovereign and Defiant.

I'd suggest an special ability that it can shoot more Torpedos more rapidly or something with Torpedos at least, it has such a pronounced Torpedo launcher it would be a shame not to use it visually.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-04-2011, 05:56 AM
The Akira Class is with the Defient one of the only ship designs intended purely for war. This is a pure mean warship and making a tier 5 varient not only makes sense but is very canon. Being orginally launched in 2368 this would make the Akira one of the more modern designs in use within Starfleet. With the prototype being launched only 30 years ago it would even make sense that the ship has been upgraded in that time.

According to memory beta the Akira carried a heavy torp launching system and was built with a large hanger area allowing the ship to be used as a small carrier.

This means we could give the federation a carrier type ship and it fit perfectly within canon using an existing ship model.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-04-2011, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Part of it is probably conceptual.

There's only so much you can do within Cryptic's establish framework for ships, even at Tier 5. It's tough to do anything else within that.

You can add special powers, substituting them for a standard feature, but ultimately that's going to mean F/X work, so it's not something that can just be tossed in. And of course those special abilities have to be conceptualized themselves, and balanced, and QA'ed.
I can understand the limitations involved, just thought it would be nice to see what they did with the Nebula done for other vessels ingame. Meaning more than one tier.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Quote:
"All new tech in a candy" shell is crap logic. Retrofits don't work that way and it's an over simplification. You can't fit any tech in any other tech. If you ever did it would likely cost significantly more resources then it should. Try fitting a jet engine in a biplane. Same difference.
True enough that not all retrofit ideas will work due to incompatibility or cost over runs, but that doesn't mean that somebody is not crazy enough to try it. If not just for kicks.
I would love to put a low thrust jet engine into a modern Bi-plane and see what happens.
I personaly would like a level of customization that allows one to tweak thier vessel with crafted technology that allows me to design some of the features of said equipment by pulling from a list much like CO crafting allowed at times.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Aside from the fact you're completely wrong (see the last post of the previous page), it's a flawed analogy. Starships are more like naval ships of today, which are constantly retrofitted with new technology. Warships, Aircraft Carriers especially, take years to build, and are "obsolete" by the time construction is even finished. Thus, they're constantly in need of upgrades, and they get them.

Take the Enterprise (CVN-65), for example. Commissioned in 1961, but still active. She's slated for retirement in 2013, but that doesn't mean they couldn't continue to refit her and keep her active. This single ship saw action in the Cuban Missile Crisis, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Fox, Iraqi Freedom. That's every major conflict since World War II, and that one ship saw it all.

So don't tell me "old ships can't be refitted with new tech". Besides, the Akira was commissioned in 2363, and this game is set at least after 2409. That's a 40-year old ship design. In modern-day terms, that's pretty old.

That being said, I do love the idea. The Akira is one of my favorite ships, and I would love to see a tier-5 version.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-04-2011, 06:40 AM
i wouldnt mind having the akira as tier 5 for tacticals, its a beautiful ship, wouldnt mind seeing tacticals flying in that next to me in pvp/pve hehe