Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy > Player Guides
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
02-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
/+1 Vote for Sticky.

To elaborate further... Any Hit Chance over 100% is added to your Critical Severity ([CrtD]) modifier. Which is why Crits are all the worse when you're held standing still. [
It adds to your Critical Hit ([CritH]) chance too. Not moving is really, really bad. Anyone shooting at you is going to start Criting left and right and for insane amounts of damage.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Quote:
It adds to your Critical Hit ([CritH]) chance too. Not moving is really, really bad. Anyone shooting at you is going to start Criting left and right and for insane amounts of damage.
I used to run a 2DHC, 1 DBB, 1QT combo until a while ago, using Beam Overload III for massive burst damage. Unfortunately, I also noticed that I seemed to miss with it shockingly often.

Anyone using Beam Overload should consider adding a Tractor Beam to his build.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-10-2011, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Q: How do accuracy and defense rating work?
According to snix, this works like this: Accuracy - Defense = Hit Chance, minimum 25 %.
Makes me wonder what Accuracy ratings mobs/NPC ships have in PvE.
Because even with 80% defense rating they seem to hit me almost all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-10-2011, 11:45 AM
+1 Sticky Sticky Icky Sticky
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-20-2011, 11:21 PM
I added a link to a post by snix explaining the accuracy/defense system a little. Note that the quote does not state the explicit formula.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-25-2011, 11:21 PM
+1 for Sticky

Lt. Commander
# 37
02-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJedi
<bump>

+1 for Sticky

Don't just bump it - the mods don't like it! I remember t hat you had something that could be added to this thread, something about the Starship Efficiency/Performance/Repair skills. POst it here so I can add it at the top!
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Some insights into several Starship Engineering skills that are often questioned:

Maintenance:
  • No passive bonus.
  • Contributes to Emergency Power to X BOff powers (corresponding to the specific skill).
  • Contributes to several, other Engineering-BOff powers.
  • Contributes to several, Engineering-Captain, specific abilities.

Efficiency:
  • Provides a passive bonus for the corresponding subsystem in an inverse relationship. The lower that your power slider (the 'adjustable' power level, the number on the right side of the # / # displayed on your power level indicator) is set, the greater the bonus power provided, depending on skillpoint investment. This bonus power scales proportionally lower as you increase your power slider, diminishing in value until your slider is set to 75 or higher, at which point, you will no longer receive any bonus power, regardless of your Efficiency skill.
  • Contributes to Emergency Power to X BOff powers (again, corresponding to the specific skill).
  • Contributes to several, other Engineering-BOff powers.

Performance:
  • Provides a passive bonus for the corresponding subsystem on a direct, point-for-point basis. Purchasing a skill rank in one of these skills will provide a 1-point bonus to the selected subsystem, regardless of the power-slider setting.
  • Contributes to several, Engineering-BOff powers.

Starship Hull Repair:
  • Provides a small, passive bonus to your ship's natural hull-regeneration rate (negligible, Alive Crew is much more important in affecting this rate).
  • Heavily contributes to effectiveness of Engineering Team (BOff power).
  • Heavily contributes to effectiveness of Miracle Worker (Engineer-Captain Ability).

Subsystem Repair:
  • Does not have any measurable effect in-game... Do not waste your skillpoints on this skill...

If you would like to see more information for what skills affect which powers, I highly recommend checking out this page.

-Big Red
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Don't just bump it - the mods don't like it! I remember t hat you had something that could be added to this thread, something about the Starship Efficiency/Performance/Repair skills. POst it here so I can add it at the top!
How's that work?
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-26-2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJedi
How's that work?
Much better.

I hereby pronounce that everyone that feels he needs to bump this thread (as long as it's not stickied), should find out something about STO mechanics and post it here.

(If you want to post for other reasons then bumping, that's fine.)