Lt. Commander
# 11
02-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGarrett View Post
I kind of agree. But I was expecting some, because I was under the impression that it is the new "standard" (hence, the remastering), and was wondering, what happened to change their mind.

Regards,
Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
I absolutely agree with this. Most of the cutscenes in the Azura mission, and the entire sequence in our transporter rooms, were wasted time that after the first time (and for that matter, during some of the first time) I wish I could have skipped through.

Cutscenes that are actually good, maybe. But not the examples we have so far.
It's sort of like this:
Are we being presented with anything important to the story or visually interesting?
If so, consider a cutscene.

With Azura, we got establishing shots of generic orion ships fighting in a lengthy scene that'd we'd more or less see anyways if we had been playing.

This weekly mission could've used one as you enter, say, the Borg Sphere Chamber and maybe for the optional objectives in the beginning.

A lot of hard work went into the Azura mission, don't get me wrong. However, the cutscenes were the weak part for me - which is sad because most of the changes on the Azura mission were phenomenal.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
A lot of hard work went into the Azura mission, don't get me wrong. However, the cutscenes were the weak part for me - which is sad because most of the changes on the Azura mission were phenomenal.
Isn't it possible to hit Esc to skip the cut-scenes like the game-intro?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Well the trailer for Series 3 does seem to indicate that some of the coming episodes will have cutscenes.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Isn't it possible to hit Esc to skip the cut-scenes like the game-intro?
You can hit escape but it didn't skip them when I was running it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Final Fantasy thirteen punished me with hours of Cut-Scenes, I'm like 6 hours into the game and still being taught how to play. The only other games I have played from those people is Crisis Core and Final Fantasy 7 which was more fun to me, this new game seems like a step backwards and feels more like an epically long movie not really a game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Hi,

no big critique at all, the mission was immensely immersive, and the VO work was really great! Loved every second of it.

I was just wondering, why there were no cut scenes. The opportunities were there: Entering/leaving the Vault, facing off with the Mogai, incoming reinforcements, the Thalaron explosion.

Out of curiosity: Was it a conscious reason to not include cut scene, or was it a matter of resources?

Regards,
Rachel
Cut scenes are currenty very tricky to do in space due to some limitations of the tool (ask Gozer who has spent hours trying to get his to work). You'll see more cutscenes in missions that involve ground - face to face interactions.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Cut scenes are currenty very tricky to do in space due to some limitations of the tool (ask Gozer who has spent hours trying to get his to work). You'll see more cutscenes in missions that involve ground - face to face interactions.
That is because the ground cutscenes work pretty well in Champions. Anyway, I hope the tool gets polish for easy use in space enviroment. The ground cutscenes in the new "Stranded.." are really great.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmiranteRoss View Post
That is because the ground cutscenes work pretty well in Champions. Anyway, I hope the tool gets polish for easy use in space enviroment. The ground cutscenes in the new "Stranded.." are really great.
for those interested in the technical side of things, the tool works great - so long as you are dealing with your primary character in the cutscene. The problem with space is that you are not your captain - you are your ship which is a completely different type of "entity" and doesn't know how to obey all the acting rules like "go stand here, then do this emote, then walk over there". Your ship goes... HUH?

Despite this - there is still a way to get cutscenes in space - but it involves creating a lot of extra "acting" logic to get the ships to do what you want them to - so not impossible - just takes a ton of time.

You'll notice we do have a new space cutscene in front of Stranded in Space (and there's always the old intro to the Fed tutorial).
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Quote:
for those interested in the technical side of things, the tool works great - so long as you are dealing with your primary character in the cutscene. The problem with space is that you are not your captain - you are your ship which is a completely different type of "entity" and doesn't know how to obey all the acting rules like "go stand here, then do this emote, then walk over there". Your ship goes... HUH?

Despite this - there is still a way to get cutscenes in space - but it involves creating a lot of extra "acting" logic to get the ships to do what you want them to - so not impossible - just takes a ton of time.

You'll notice we do have a new space cutscene in front of Stranded in Space (and there's always the old intro to the Fed tutorial).
Is that the silent flyby of the runabout?
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-06-2011, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, didn't know that.

Regards,
Rachel