Lt. Commander
After a innocent google search the other day, I found a forum post that struck my attention. I found it because I was searching for info for games refusing service to customers who are unruly.

Take a look yourself, it brings up interesting points.

"I 0Wn Y0u, d0Od! Part Deux"
http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=8702

What destroyed Everquest and every other successful mmorpg? People buying and selling goods that don't belong to them. They're intellectual property and belong to the people who own the rights, meaning the people who own the game. You don't own the rights when you pay a monthly fee.

I'm pretty satisfied with the current game model we have and this would be my biggest fear. That some 3rd party company would come in here and destroy everything.

Sure, at first glance, it doesn't seem much of a problem. People playing 24/7 and Cryptic raking in the profits of them playing. At second glance, they're making profit off something that's virtual. The money that people spend on buying credits and accounts, is more money that's not going into Cryptic's pockets. This could hurt the progress of STO. If anything it's going to inflate player economy, and possible a rate hike of our monthly subscriptions. When they raise the rates, our player base might decrease. We've just started out pretty much, that's the last thing we want.

I would like to know what they intend to do about these people selling their stuff and accounts to 3rd party companys.