Lt. Commander
# 41
02-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
You sure they've been KEEPING TRACK of everything that's been added and the effects it'shaving on the IP, or are they only considering each thing as a individual item?

Answer THAT, and I may retract that particular issue. MAYBE, depending on what the answer is. Executive Meddling is pervasive enough that personally I don't trust anything of that nature. Gene had to protect his IP fairly rigidly to keep it the way it was - proof of what happens when you don't have a firm grasp of the basis of the IP can be shown by naming three names: Berman, Braga, and Abrams.,

With those three as examples, are you really gonna trust CBS/PAramount to remain true to the IP?
Well... since I am in many of these discussions, I can add my personal experience in dealing with this.

For the most part, use of existing Star Trek assets has been Ok'd so long as we have a justified reason for putting it in the game, and as others have pointed out, everyone has their own personal favorite series.

Where it actually gets the most dicey is when we start talking about the future and what should be in the future. That actually requires a lot more coordination and approval since there are both ongoing book series, ongoing movies, and ongoing story plots that we are working to both coordinate and ensure stay at the very least amicable to one another.

So at least in some ways, it is eaiser for us to use things from the past than to make new things for the future. We've had a few of our future ships sent back for revisions as we've pushed various "looks" a bit too far in concepts.

In general, even though we are in the future, we feel it is ok to add older components and ships to the game so long as most missions take place in the here and now (save for the occassional time travel mission). With that philosophy - I'm ok with letting players roleplay that they are from the past - so long as the content they are playing is in our timeline.

As another side note: It's an interesting trivia example that we had initially planned Romulus as a zone you could go to, but had to nuke it when we started coordination with the Paramount movie. So even though we are just one example of the Star Trek universe, we do work to coordinate with other efforts and stay friendly to the stories everyone is trying to tell.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-08-2011, 03:45 PM
i think making the old stuff is good from a development stand point. in a way if they create new stuff, it still has to have that trek feel to it. how does an artist do that? practice.. i think it gives them an artistic edge to practice & hone their abilities and try new techniques with making the old stuff in order to get the design style/feel just right. this can be done while adding to the game's current and future needs in itself. its a win-win in my book
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I acknowledge that it's completely unrealistic for ships from the first few movies to still be around; most of them are a hundred years old by 2409. That's caused me a lot of anxiety and frustration, trying to figure out how to make it work - how it's possible, for example, for a mere Lt. Cmdr to be given a piece of Starfleet history like a refit Connie, and why it's not in a museum, or (alternatively) why ships of that type are apparently being new-built today when there are also Galaxies and Nebulas and Intrepids flying around, sometimes with the same name and registries B through E. None of it makes any sense.

The thing is, I sincerely believe that the average player of this game Does Not Care. They have their favorite ship(s), their favorite uniform(s), and they're gonna bend and twist and ignore anything they have to in order to live out that fantasy. Because it's a Game, and they're here to Have Fun, and canon and realism be damned.

Cryptic seems content to give lip service to canon while letting the game be all things to all people. Honestly, and it pains my inner nerd a bit to say this, I think they're probably right. Your Trek is probably not my Trek is definitely not his Trek. But this way, we can all play together.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
In general, even though we are in the future, we feel it is ok to add older components and ships to the game so long as most missions take place in the here and now (save for the occassional time travel mission). With that philosophy - I'm ok with letting players roleplay that they are from the past - so long as the content they are playing is in our timeline.
And thatís why you are the man!!
I only would like to ask, that donít forget of TNG, in other words, give us a Sovereign Bridge when you guys find the time
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
As another side note: It's an interesting trivia example that we had initially planned Romulus as a zone you could go to, but had to nuke it when we started coordination with the Paramount movie.
this sprang to mind.

design artist: dan, dude i just finished romulus. man it looks amazing. i spent like two months making this place look incredible. ive not seen my wife and kids in like four days. now ive finished and ive got some free time i can finally go see the new star trek movie. man i hope its fun. you've seen it right, how is it?

dstahl: errr maybe you should sit down.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Quote:
With that philosophy - I'm ok with letting players roleplay that they are from the past - so long as the content they are playing is in our timeline.
Don't suppose I could get a 4th-rate Ship of the Line with warp nacelles? <.<

No seriously, one of my characters is from an alternate-timeline British Empire in the 1760s >.> She'd feel more at-home that way!

(I'm kidding about actually needing the ship... not about the character though! There's nothing wrong with a time-shifted dimension-shifted infantry regiment ending up as a starship crew. ... right? >.>)
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Mudd
I acknowledge that it's completely unrealistic for ships from the first few movies to still be around; most of them are a hundred years old by 2409. That's caused me a lot of anxiety and frustration, trying to figure out how to make it work - how it's possible, for example, for a mere Lt. Cmdr to be given a piece of Starfleet history like a refit Connie, and why it's not in a museum, or (alternatively) why ships of that type are apparently being new-built today when there are also Galaxies and Nebulas and Intrepids flying around, sometimes with the same name and registries B through E. None of it makes any sense.

The thing is, I sincerely believe that the average player of this game Does Not Care. They have their favorite ship(s), their favorite uniform(s), and they're gonna bend and twist and ignore anything they have to in order to live out that fantasy. Because it's a Game, and they're here to Have Fun, and canon and realism be damned.

Cryptic seems content to give lip service to canon while letting the game be all things to all people. Honestly, and it pains my inner nerd a bit to say this, I think they're probably right. Your Trek is probably not my Trek is definitely not his Trek. But this way, we can all play together.
This sums up best how I feel on the matter. Trek is this long and diverse franchise that has included so many elements and everyone has their favorite bit. I like that I have my choice to wear any uniform from Trek history I want or make my own. I chose the AGT because I considered it to be the most fitting with canon, even though that is disputable. I fly an excelsior because it was that nice little fluke ship in Star Trek 3 and then went on to be the long running and distinguished ship that fought in the Dominion War and I like to think its still around 30 years later, but it could just have easily been phased out, defunct after 100 years of service.

The point is I like to have that choice, and we must remember that this is trying to be a good game, not just a good star trek game, so you can brush a few logistic issues under the rug.
Lt. Commander
(Quoted by Simeet)

But really....I have really hope Cryptic stops there. If they have limited resources, which they do, instead of going ahead and making say a Enterprise interior or Voyager interior, why not devote time to finally solving once for all the scaling issue with ship interiors, which they said could be done...and really designing a 25th century bridge design that would be used with the latest Enterprise starship in 2409.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________I completely agree with this. Instead of coming out with the TOS constitution cruiser, they should have come out with one that looks like it should be from the 25th century, not the 22nd. Ya, okay, it is fine for the old people who grew up with it. I am 15 and I have grown up in the new century, pretty much and I want to have things that you would see in Star Trek: Voyager, like the USS Relativity time ship. We should have a c-store item that is the same configuration as the USS Relativity. A special power could be that it can travel in time. I dont know. But we do need to let go of the past and look on to the future. I have to honest, I cant stand to watch TOS because of the hooooooorrrrrrrible graphics. I understand that it was state of the art...at the time. I can barely tolerate TNG, but DS9, Voyager and Enterprise are the newest looking.

Admiral Masters
USS Essex NCC-92936-A
Dreadnought Cruiser
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
Don't suppose I could get a 4th-rate Ship of the Line with warp nacelles? <.<

No seriously, one of my characters is from an alternate-timeline British Empire in the 1860s >.> She'd feel more at-home that way!

(I'm kidding about actually needing the ship... not about the character though! There's nothing wrong with a time-shifted dimension-shifted infantry regiment ending up as a starship crew. ... right? >.>)
It worked for Harry Turtledove.... =D (I think that's the series I'm thinking of. He did a lot of alternate-history time-travel mashups.)
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
this sprang to mind.

design artist: dan, dude i just finished romulus. man it looks amazing. i spent like two months making this place look incredible. ive not seen my wife and kids in like four days. now ive finished and ive got some free time i can finally go see the new star trek movie. man i hope its fun. you've seen it right, how is it?

dstahl: errr maybe you should sit down.
muahahaha that made me laugh.

Really though, this game probably has like 20k more subscribers just because they included vintage stuff. I personally like to play gear that is current but when I see vintage stuff I just tell myself that war losses demand that old stuff be retrofitted.

It reminds me of watching old war movies where you see some 1960's national guard tank painted up to look like a German Panzer for a WW2 movie. Sometimes you just have to suspend your disbelief. It is science fiction after all.