Lt. Commander
# 11
02-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeh86 View Post
If the polls are anything to go by the Romulans will be the next faction. If they add any more factions after that then it will just get silly.

Im a huge fan of Cardassians and id love them to have their own faction but frankly 3 factions is enough for an MMO before you start spreading the population too thinly.

Personally I think all races should be available for whatever faction makes sense. Cardassians make sense for Federation (most races do), Orions for Federation etc, etc.

Just because my government have decided to align with another doesn't mean I automatically become a fanatic for the alliance. I may perhaps want to join the opposing force for example. It isn't uncommon both in RL and in ST.
I think it is possible for a Cardassian, or more likely Dominion Faction, but not anymore after that. The Dominion is diverse like the Federation, but the goverment is almost the antihesis of the Federation. Any other factions after the Romulans and the Dominon do not really have the diversity of character races to be viable. No, the Borg do not count as there is only one voice: The Queen's. There is no diversity for the Undine to be a playable race as all characters would have the same traits.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-07-2011, 10:40 AM
My view remains on the fact that adding any more than 3 factions to ANY MMO is overkill and you risk ending up with highly imbalanced populations within the factions.

The main advantage I see to 3 factions however is a very decent and fair open PvP system which frankly won't happen in this game as it would appear the devs are completely against PvP. In fact when I think of it Cryptic are against PvP entirely as a company. I am yet to see any form of decent PvP implementation from one of their MMO's. Id like to see it but I doubt it will happen.
Lt. Commander
# 13 Cardassian Faction ETA
02-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Well, the Cardassians are certain, but we won't see them as a faction until after the Romulans are finished.

After that, I'm uncertain if we'll see another faction, 4 factions might be the limit and then they'll go to work on expansions afterwards.

I'm just hoping we don't get an playerbase imbalance like we did with Fed/KDF.
Basically, there are hundreds of Feds out there, but very few KDFs.
Which doesn't bother me except when I want to do STFs.

I've practically given up playing the game because there are so few KDF STF groups and assembling the groups often takes longer then the actual mission.
6 hours was how long it took me once.
I'm not playing STO to watch hundreds of Feds asking for STFs and being totally unable to go myself.

They'd better make sure we don't run into that problem again with Romulans or Cardassians.....

*cough* crossteaming *cough cough*
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
Well, the Cardassians are certain, but we won't see them as a faction until after the Romulans are finished.

After that, I'm uncertain if we'll see another faction, 4 factions might be the limit and then they'll go to work on expansions afterwards.

I'm just hoping we don't get an playerbase imbalance like we did with Fed/KDF.
Basically, there are hundreds of Feds out there, but very few KDFs.
Which doesn't bother me except when I want to do STFs.

I've practically given up playing the game because there are so few KDF STF groups and assembling the groups often takes longer then the actual mission.
6 hours was how long it took me once.
I'm not playing STO to watch hundreds of Feds asking for STFs and being totally unable to go myself.

They'd better make sure we don't run into that problem again with Romulans or Cardassians.....

*cough* crossteaming *cough cough*
This is my concern with adding more than 3 factions to any mmo. If they are to add another faction they need to make it viable and on par to the Federation and hopefuly the KDF (if they ever manage to pull it up to scratch).

Personally I see no reason why they shouldn't have stuck to their guns with KDF being PvP and just give them unique PvP elements and activities. If players wanted to play Klingon then they have the race open to them and if they wanted to engage in fun PvP then they have the faction open to them. Simple as that...
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Has there been any more on getting a cardassian option as a race for either the Klingon or the Federation sides?

Saying its against the lore is crazy we have Federation Klingons and Ferengi Federation and even Borg Federation yet each has its own faction as well. There seems no reason not to allow Cardassians to be selectedable for people that want to play them. I could understand in waiting for the full faction but its been a year and the Klingons aren't yet fully fleshed out with Romulans no where on the horrizon. Waiting for any more factions and hoping they have any chance of their own content seems some what wishful thinking.

So as a stop gap why not put this species in so we don't have to *******ise them as Aliens?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-08-2011, 10:38 PM
ZOMG why am i only seeing this now

/signed
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-08-2011, 11:12 PM
As a playable race, I think both the Cardassians and Changelings could be available from the C-store similar to Klingons, with Cardassians also available as BOffs and an Odo-like Changeling BOff (most likely tactical) also available in the C-Store much like the Borg BOff.

For a playable faction, Cardassians, Vorta, Changelings, and Jem'Hadar are already available, and I see the Kazon as a potential ally as well. Maybe the Karrama as the "merchant race".