Lt. Commander
# 1 Reverse engineering loot?
02-09-2011, 06:53 PM
This isnt my idea, but its one I like. Its nothing complicated either, simply have an option to reverse engineer loot we may not want for anomalous components. I would imagine you wouldnt get the exact same amount of components required to build a brand new item, but maybe 75%?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Can you reverse-engineer a cup of coffee back into the water, milk and coffee grounds, all separated? I believe it would take nothing less than a chemical laboratory to do it. Growing more coffee beans and milking more cows and is far easier and more economical. Same could be said for anomalies.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Can you reverse-engineer a cup of coffee back into the water, milk and coffee grounds, all separated? I believe it would take nothing less than a chemical laboratory to do it. Growing more coffee beans and milking more cows and is far easier and more economical. Same could be said for anomalies.
I think a Centrifuge would do just that actually. Unless the milk and water have some kind of chemical reaction to the coffee grounds.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Thats pretty much what you do with the trash loot in Champions Online - its not a bad system, might add some more depth to it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
This isnt my idea, but its one I like. Its nothing complicated either, simply have an option to reverse engineer loot we may not want for anomalous components. I would imagine you wouldnt get the exact same amount of components required to build a brand new item, but maybe 75%?
This was brought up before with a slightly different tangent from a thread about the XCOM research system. Mister Stahl posted in the thread and seemed to like the idea as something that could be tied into the crafting system.

I'm in favor of the general idea myself.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2011, 07:43 PM
They can reverse engineer many things in Trek. They're recycling technology can work on most stuff. Not Latinum and stuff (non-replicatable materials).
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Except anomalies aren't just coffee beans and cows you can grab from the local nursery or farm; they're anomalies because they're not common.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Thats pretty much what you do with the trash loot in Champions Online - its not a bad system, might add some more depth to it.
It would not only add more depth to crafting, it would make crafting materials a little bit cheaper, too, since they'll be a lot easier to come by.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
They can reverse engineer many things in Trek. They're recycling technology can work on most stuff. Not Latinum and stuff (non-replicatable materials).
They reverse engineer your poo into the food you eat via the replicator.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Consider me /signed. I think diminishing returns based on rarity of the source item would make the most sense. So an uncommon item would yield more data samples than a common, rare more than an uncommon, etc.

Z