Lt. Commander
# 1 Bridge Co-op STF?
02-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Was just reading the post about fighting space battles from bridge, aka Bridge Commander, and thought what if in a STF there was a battle where the 5 players each controlled a subsystem of a ship and fought a battle that way. Tac player would command repel boarders action and run weapons. Eng would keep engine running and shields up, maybe pilot ship. Sci would run countermeasures and medical. It probably would not work out well, be boring, or be too much trouble to implement, but sounds cool.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Obligatory, "the company developing STO before Cryptic intended the game to be like this. And look how it worked for them" post.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2011, 11:00 PM
So basically, what you're suggesting is to have multiple players on a single ship accomplishing different tasks, and taking different roles, such as helm officer or tactical officer, of course someone would have to be the Captain to issue orders, just as you see in Star Trek basically? lol

Well this is exactly what I thought STO would offer about 2 years ago, but recently remember, well I say recently but it was probably a couple of months ago, anyway yeah I remember Daniel Stahl stating at some point that the reason that this didn't happen is because most if not all players want to be the Captain of their own ship and do things their own way. I'm pretty sure he was answering a question someone asked about why when we start the game, we don't start as an officer serving aboard a ship for a while before we start to command our own ship.

When I really think about it, considering the way in which STO is designed, I really can't see any way at all for this type of game play to be added at anytime in the next 2 years, but if you really love the idea, keep your fingers crossed and keep thinking of ways in which you think the developers could implement the idea into the game.

I personally love the idea of multiple players serving on a starship together, even love the idea of starting as a cadet in the academy, then moving on to do general routine tasks on a starship as a lieutenant under the command of another player, but at present in STO, there really is nothing that a player could do on another players starship interior to help them during combat, during a diplomacy mission or even to help fix a problem with the EPS relays, because they don't exist in game. No Jefferies tubes to crawl through, no lower decks to sit in and theorize about the unknown possibilities, no cargo bays for us to check to see if any Ferengi are trying to smuggle illegal goods aboard our ships, no shuttle bays for us to design our own shuttlecraft and the list goes on. lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
anyway yeah I remember Daniel Stahl stating at some point that the reason that this didn't happen is because most if not all players want to be the Captain of their own ship and do things their own way.
Yeah, I agree. That is why I was talking about it for a STF or a mission. Not an overhaul of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I can see this working one way and that is if the ship is "fighting blind" and has no tactical view of the exterior.

Bridge based combat both sucks and is generally inaccessible if you're meant to see what's going on outside the ship.

I can see an exception if you're NOT intended to see what's going on outside and I will add the proviso that we do need a ton of rocking bridges added to this game with sparking consoles, if only as cutscenes in remastered episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracounguis
Was just reading the post about fighting space battles from bridge, aka Bridge Commander, and thought what if in a STF there was a battle where the 5 players each controlled a subsystem of a ship and fought a battle that way. Tac player would command repel boarders action and run weapons. Eng would keep engine running and shields up, maybe pilot ship. Sci would run countermeasures and medical. It probably would not work out well, be boring, or be too much trouble to implement, but sounds cool.
I had written a great deal on the subject in pre-beta.

The end result is that we'd need a lot of mini-games and instances within the same instance (ie. Sickbay, Engineering and Bridge all affecting a ship flying in System space). Technologically it's a nightmare.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2011, 06:54 PM
I think this could be a lot of fun.

But if people don't want to get "stuck" doing a certain job because of their class, everyone could start on the bridge at the bridge station and the group leader would be the captain, but then tasks could be divided up if the group wanted or the group could stick together and work their way through the tasks together.

Just a thought...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
This would basically end up being a bunch of mini-games played in sequence by the team. The Tactical Officer plays a shooting game while the Helmsman plays a piloting game while the Medical Officer plays a healing game while the Engineer plays a repair shields game while the Captain stands around telling everyone what to do next. While it sounds like a novel idea and fitting with canon, it would likely not be a whole lot of fun.

But you could always try to make something similar in the Foundry.

Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Sounds good in theory, but bad in practice.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2011, 04:00 PM
As much as you may dream at night about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72XhdVqDT1g

in theory - it would be extremely frustrating as a player to rely on other people - who are not in the same room - to communicate and figure out WTF is going on, especially when you only have access to one subsystem.

If you are looking for that experience - I highly suggest looking into Artemis instead, well at least for 2:33 until your ship explodes and everything devolves into silliness.