Lt. Commander
# 21
01-21-2009, 06:11 AM
The Fact He Like The Episode The Inner Light tells me were in good Hands. Great Episode and one of the best.

The Inner Light
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Ah another gamer who cut their teeth on the old 2600. =)
I can't tell you how many blisters on my right thumb I got from that damn joystick due to space invaders, etc.

Good answers all around both the interview and follow up on the forums.

I have a question myself:

Assuming you enjoy various types of computer gaming (and assuming your response about other MMOs), what would be your favorite game in these categories, RTS/Strategy, RPG and FPS and why? Just curious what sort of game play elements and mechanics you've found really enjoyable.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Loved the interview with Craig, especially the bit about his favourite episode. Inner Light is one of the most amazing episodes of any series you'll see. A great emotional story, with a touching ending. Also great to know that he loves the idea of exploration, and developing races like the andorians, bolians etc.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-21-2009, 10:21 AM
You are all right... I like you.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Nice interview with some great answers. And finally a monkey!!
I like!
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I forget .. Did you say You liked MOO? The Early Miroprose Dielio....I mean retro .. Space Race gaming

Think about it... You could have development mini game to satisfy an demographic thats not Conquest driven..

Even Tribble Farmers and Shrubbers should have a place in these Difficualt economic times where
Strange Ruffians say NI to little old ladies.. in space bars?
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks for doing this interview, Craig.

Like others here, I'm also energized by many of your comments. Spock? Check. Preference for exploration? Check. Adventure on the Atari 2600? Big-time check. (Warren Robinette was the first person I ever admired as a game designer. Did you discover his "hidden room" Easter egg in Adventure? Classic.)

And like RogueEnterprise, I also appreciate your additionally giving us a peek behind the kimono regarding the development processes and tools you're using. Scrum/Agile tells me you're open to trying new processes. Waterfall tells me you know better than to forego using an "older" process just because it's older. JIRA tells me that you understand the need for a task tracking tool that insures everyone knows what's expected, when it's due, who's responsible for it and where it stands. And your willingness to build your own in-house tools tells me that you're capable of investing time and money if you can see a long-term payoff in quality.

I also developed my own project tracking tools when I got transmogrified into a project manager. I know the value that good process management tools bring to hitting schedules and catching bugs before they go into production. So everything you just said makes me feel better about the odds of Cryptic launching a Star Trek MMORPG where others have failed, and the odds of that game's quality level being high enough to give it a decent chance of commercial success.

One thing I'm still wondering about, though, is how much influence you have on Star Trek Online's core design. You may personally prefer exploration and "The Inner Light" over violent conflict as I do, but Al Rivera, STO's lead designer, is a self-professed fan of combat systems.

These are different -- and sometimes incompatible -- visions of what constitutes "fun" gameplay in a MMORPG. Neither is "wrong"; both bring something valuable to the MMORPG design table.

But they are different.

So when there's a difference of opinion on the design direction for Star Trek Online, and the design opinions of both the executive producer and lead designer seem reasonable, whose vision usually wins?

Just curious.

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
So when there's a difference of opinion on the design direction for Star Trek Online, and the design opinions of both the executive producer and lead designer seem reasonable, whose vision usually wins?
Good question! From what I understand about the industry, this is highly dependant on the studio. Some producers are mroe designer-y and some are more schedule-y. I imagine the ideal situation is a little of both.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
Thanks for doing this interview, Craig.

Like others here, I'm also energized by many of your comments. Spock? Check. Preference for exploration? Check. Adventure on the Atari 2600? Big-time check. (Warren Robinette was the first person I ever admired as a game designer. Did you discover his "hidden room" Easter egg in Adventure? Classic.)

And like RogueEnterprise, I also appreciate your additionally giving us a peek behind the kimono regarding the development processes and tools you're using. Scrum/Agile tells me you're open to trying new processes. Waterfall tells me you know better than to forego using an "older" process just because it's older. JIRA tells me that you understand the need for a task tracking tool that insures everyone knows what's expected, when it's due, who's responsible for it and where it stands. And your willingness to build your own in-house tools tells me that you're capable of investing time and money if you can see a long-term payoff in quality.

I also developed my own project tracking tools when I got transmogrified into a project manager. I know the value that good process management tools bring to hitting schedules and catching bugs before they go into production. So everything you just said makes me feel better about the odds of Cryptic launching a Star Trek MMORPG where others have failed, and the odds of that game's quality level being high enough to give it a decent chance of commercial success.

One thing I'm still wondering about, though, is how much influence you have on Star Trek Online's core design. You may personally prefer exploration and "The Inner Light" over violent conflict as I do, but Al Rivera, STO's lead designer, is a self-professed fan of combat systems.

These are different -- and sometimes incompatible -- visions of what constitutes "fun" gameplay in a MMORPG. Neither is "wrong"; both bring something valuable to the MMORPG design table.

But they are different.

Just curious.

--Flatfingers
Geko's view is understandable since he built the powers for CoX and the initial combat system for Champions, so I'd say in this instance the Executive Producer. However that would, I'd imagine, entail a more balanced view of the game exploration/combat systems overall.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Well met!