Lt. Commander
# 31
02-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
Or do they "kill you" then reconfigure your exact being upon materializing? (meaning you have no soul)
Oh please, the "Soul Theory" of identity is so lame and outdated. If we speak from the body theory, then I would posit yes, you did indeed die during the transportation process. The person who results on the other side is someone entirely different yet exactly like you.

In order to justify that you are indeed the same person you could probably use the ego accumulation device, which I do believe has merit.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Actually... It just occurred to me that in Trek, there is verifiable evidence that (a) souls exist and (b) they can be transported, and even placed in other people or objects. I refer, of course, to the katra.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Mudd
Actually... It just occurred to me that in Trek, there is verifiable evidence that (a) souls exist and (b) they can be transported, and even placed in other people or objects. I refer, of course, to the katra.
Actually, that was nothing more than a memory download (much like Data did to B4); we can tell by the way Spock did not immediately drop dead, or become a mindless vegetable, when he copied all that stuff into McCoy's brain.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Souls? Have you lot been brainwashed at Bajor? :p
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingorion View Post
Spiritual discussions aside, I side with Dr. McCoy on the issue. It would be shuttles or nothing for me.
I tend to agree!