Lt. Commander
First let me say I am way to inebriated to be posting just had a nice dinner with my wife but I will post anyway.

I loved this mission. It is quite likely the best mission I have played in STO. The reasons I like it:

1) The place actually felt alive. People walking around. Animals at play. The "mine" car traveling between buildings. All added a depth of being alive I really adored.

2) There were people I could talk to that had a bearing on what I felt about the place without having them actually be needed to complete the mission. Very nice touch.

3) The cut scenes were well done and I actually had a little bit of sympathy for Jana.. yeah she was a romulan but she seemed dismayed over killing innocent civilizians. It made it that much easier to spare her life later.

4) The diplomacy solution. The guard that could be won over with enough diplomacy points... just cool. Sadly I didn't have enough so he died... still I like that diplo rank actually had a use. More of this please

5) Decoding the data. Just way to cool. Actually have a use for all the missions we have done. All that knowledge gained actually was usefull. Again more of this please.

Overalll I totally had a ball doing this mission.

I would post a negative comment if I had one but I dont. Server issues aside this mission was awesome.

Oh and my new Horta friend was a sweet added bonus.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2011, 12:14 AM
The designers will be very happy to read your comments. Despite the server issues, the developers spent a lot of time and effort into putting the details into this mission. This is the kind of missions I want to be playing in STO and I look forward to the day when all the missions in the game are this quality and better.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2011, 12:15 AM
It felt busy and alive in that Defera sense.

However, i love that everything felt run-down and used.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
It felt busy and alive in that Defera sense.

However, i love that everything felt run-down and used.
Knowing how few building blocks the environment artists have to work with, they blow my mind with how they are able to put those blocks together into something amazing.

Moving mining cart? How did they do that? I'm still trying to figure it out. You have to do some serious hackery to get that stuff to look good in our editor.

Bravo to Kurt on this one (environment artist). He deserves it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Also a shout out to the character artists.... those new romulan models and their uniforms are EPIC. When I saw Janek and Hareev in that cutscene, I was floored, they looked amazing, and the various disheveled looks of the poor civilians outside really stood out against them.

Sort of makes me ashamed of the hot mess our Starfleet uniforms have become
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Knowing how few building blocks the environment artists have to work with, they blow my mind with how they are able to put those blocks together into something amazing.

Moving mining cart? How did they do that? I'm still trying to figure it out. You have to do some serious hackery to get that stuff to look good in our editor.

A lot of the buildings look like mixing ones from Shanty Town with Romulan assets. Allowing us to move objects and individual actors in the Foundry would be useful.

My favorite touch was the moving, dynamic searchlight on the tower: it felt very dire with that touch alone.

Don't take offense: I felt like I was playing a Bioware RPG during the Ground Portion due to the cutscenes. It didn't feel like an MMO. It felt like a really good mission in a really good SP-RPG.

Any chance of hooking up dialogue options to the bottom of the screen instead of pop-ups, if there's voice acting on the NPC?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Also a shout out to the character artists.... those new romulan models and their uniforms are EPIC. When I saw Janek and Hareev in that cutscene, I was floored, they looked amazing, and the various disheveled looks of the poor civilians outside really stood out against them.
Totally agree. They went above and beyond in a really short amount of time. When we first play tested the episode all the Romulans were in their standard uniforms and it just felt wrong. So as a complete "drive-by" to their schedule, I asked them what they could come up with that would give us a 3rd Romulan look (1 being the Military, 1 being the Remans, and the new one being Civilian).

It feels much better when the NPCs look like ordinary Romulan citizenry instead of military walking about. I think it is a superb touch that there is a hint of Nero and crew in the way some of these miners look. It helps tie things together visually.

Great work to Matt and Denis on this (not to mention they also did the Horta and well... every other costume and NPC face in the entire series).
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
First let me say I am way to inebriated to be posting just had a nice dinner with my wife but I will post anyway.

I loved this mission. It is quite likely the best mission I have played in STO. The reasons I like it:

1) The place actually felt alive. People walking around. Animals at play. The "mine" car traveling between buildings. All added a depth of being alive I really adored.

2) There were people I could talk to that had a bearing on what I felt about the place without having them actually be needed to complete the mission. Very nice touch.

3) The cut scenes were well done and I actually had a little bit of sympathy for Jana.. yeah she was a romulan but she seemed dismayed over killing innocent civilizians. It made it that much easier to spare her life later.

4) The diplomacy solution. The guard that could be won over with enough diplomacy points... just cool. Sadly I didn't have enough so he died... still I like that diplo rank actually had a use. More of this please

5) Decoding the data. Just way to cool. Actually have a use for all the missions we have done. All that knowledge gained actually was usefull. Again more of this please.

Overalll I totally had a ball doing this mission.

I would post a negative comment if I had one but I dont. Server issues aside this mission was awesome.

Oh and my new Horta friend was a sweet added bonus.
^^^
I agree with this in general ; but you FORGOT the to mention 'roving spotlight' too . The whole ambience of the Mining Colony was GREAT, SUPERB, can't say enough good about it - and I wish ALL content - even random eploration missions had a portion of this type of ambience. PLEASE consider this wjhen adding ANY new mission content.

My one negative relates to a part of the 'Engineering optional objective' - specifically the one ppart of it that just required you to randomly guess the correct answer to a question with no real clue as to what the correct answrer is.

I think the tech that makes random answers cycle is good - but the use here was lacklustre in that - If I'm supposed to be an 'Expert Engineer'; just 'random guess until you get the right one, kind of blows that illusion out of the water. Combined with some puzzle or something else that might give me a clue to the correct answer (maybe calling up to the ship to see a manual on the type of Drill, etc.) in addition the randomizer woukld have worked better.

Also, I still wish they could implement tech that keeps the other class' optional objectives from even appearing on a mission map, UNLESS you're part of a player character team with multiple character classes on the map; and in that case only the options related to the character classes ON the map (and the team) should be shown.

Still, in general, The STO Dev team keeps topping itself with each new featured episode series. I PRAY you guys never give up on making STO 'episodes' like these.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Give Kurt my sincerest thanks, that moon was almost exactly how I saw the home planet of my Romulan character, only with an actual sky since it was a planet and less gritty since it was an industrial plant not a mining facility.
Lt. Commander
# 10
I agree, this mission is easily one of the best. The environments were great, and the story had a flow to it that has largely been missing from other missions. Plus, I love the revamp that the Romulan ground forces got. Before, I always preferred fighting Romulans on the ground because, frankly, they were the least annoying faction in ground combat (yes, even factoring in two+ Combat Medics in one spawn). I didn't really like fighting them, it just felt like less of a chore compared to the other factions. But now, I just love fighting these guys, especially with the thalaron mines. Those things are so cool that I'm always tempted to just let myself get killed so I can see the awesome corpse I leave behind.