Lt. Commander
I have a simple suggestion that would make ship interiors quite a bit more "immersive". First, a few facts:

1. Each area, space or ground, has it's own backdrop. You can see it outside the windows of spacedock, background of sector space, etc...

2. Ships stop when you visit a bridge.

So, when we choose the option to visit our bridge /interior, why can't that backdrop be loaded in place of the generic black starfield we see from our lounge and captain's quarters windows?

Is a different form of backdrop "tech" used when we're in our ships interior? Seems to me it would be far simpler, with greater atmospheric benefit, to use the one that's currently loaded (wherever we are) when we hit the Visit the Bridge option.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't believe its possible.
As when you go inside your ship your entering an entirely new Instance.
Your not technically in an area of space anymore as far as the game is concerned.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Actually, when you load into your Bridge you are loading into an entirely separate map. It's not just an overlay on the map that you are on. So, I think your idea, while it would be nice, may be a little more complicated than you think.

Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2011, 05:50 PM
I thought as much... it just seems so simple to me... just load the backdrop of the last "Map" you were in, and use that in place of the generic starfield seen on the crew deck.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2011, 01:57 PM
They really need to do something to spice up the in-ship action.

It should be put more on the forward burner. I bet you about 60% of people who log on expecting to play a Star Trek game, one of the first things they'll notice, and be disappointed by, will be the lack of iconic in-ship stuff happening.

I mean, good Lord, how many episodes have we seen with in-ship stories, or parts of stories told in-ship? Everything from seeing the Counsellor, to engineering breakdowns, to breakdowns caused by alien weirdness, to trouble with Tribbles, to holodeck shenanigans (whole sub-game there, you could have one of those episodes in period costumes), to in-ship plagues, to general soap opera stuff ...

I wouldn't expect in-ship combat any time soon, nor multiplayer as officers on one ship (although I'd hope that would be a looooong term plan), because I can see how that's going to be incredibly difficult; but just more stuff to do in-ship.

Come on, if it's a mission map, let's have some bloody missions in it!!!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurugeorge View Post
They really need to do something to spice up the in-ship action.

It should be put more on the forward burner. I bet you about 60% of people who log on expecting to play a Star Trek game, one of the first things they'll notice, and be disappointed by, will be the lack of iconic in-ship stuff happening.
Granted.
I was too very disapointed when ship Interiors came out and there was literary nothig to do there, as it is still now. Except for the ready room where you can select a mission to repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightionNY View Post
I thought as much... it just seems so simple to me... just load the backdrop of the last "Map" you were in, and use that in place of the generic starfield seen on the crew deck.
Thats what i have been thinking when i was reading this thread, i think it wouldn't be too hard to remember where you where previously and load a proper backdrop for the windows.

For example, when you are in sector space traveling at warp 7, and then change to ship interior, i want to see something like a starfield simulator on the bridge main screen reflecting the speed at which my ship is traveling right now. (Something primitive like Windows starfield screen saver thats been already around for about a hundred years or so , cannot be so hard to implement.)

Thank you for reading.