Lt. Commander
# 11
02-15-2011, 04:26 AM
I pictured my Klingon riding through ground combat missions on horseback, dodging grenades and phaser fire while swinging his bat'leth, his Orion women riding right behind him.

His Borg BO would be riding a motorcycle, though. Or driving a tank with multiple turrets.

Heh, vehicles would be funny.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan_Propoganda
I pictured my Klingon riding through ground combat missions on horseback, dodging grenades and phaser fire while swinging his bat'leth, his Orion women riding right behind him.

His Borg BO would be riding a motorcycle, though. Or driving a tank with multiple turrets.

Heh, vehicles would be funny.
NO... Mounts and Vehicles in STO would be fine for holodeck missions, but for core gameplay, it needs to stick with canon...

And please... Before someone says anything about the Argo... I consider that to have been one of Trek's all-time most stupid scenes. The other alltime stupid scenes were also in Nemesis.

Now Driving a car like Kirk did in the classic "A Piece of the Action", I can see that. But it wasnt a combat situation. And yes, Kirk and company rode blue horses in Star Trek V to good effect, but again, their use was not in combat.

So some missions could use vehicles or mounts for plot tools, but for the overwhelmingly most part, we should fight on our feet.

And if we just want to ride or race or whatever... That's what the Holodeck is for. You kno... The Holodeck, where the crew of the Ent-D, DS9 and Voyager went to do things that they couldnt really do in their "real life" careers... As well as giving the shows an excuse to jump the shark without actually jumping the shark...
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-15-2011, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
NO... Mounts and Vehicles in STO would be fine for holodeck missions, but for core gameplay, it needs to stick with canon...

And please... Before someone says anything about the Argo... I consider that to have been one of Trek's all-time most stupid scenes. The other alltime stupid scenes were also in Nemesis.

Now Driving a car like Kirk did in the classic "A Piece of the Action", I can see that. But it wasnt a combat situation. And yes, Kirk and company rode blue horses in Star Trek V to good effect, but again, their use was not in combat.

So some missions could use vehicles or mounts for plot tools, but for the overwhelmingly most part, we should fight on our feet.

And if we just want to ride or race or whatever... That's what the Holodeck is for. You kno... The Holodeck, where the crew of the Ent-D, DS9 and Voyager went to do things that they couldnt really do in their "real life" careers... As well as giving the shows an excuse to jump the shark without actually jumping the shark...
Just because its stupid ain't mean it's not true.

It's canon, accept it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
I forgot about the Argo. But secretly I did quite like it. It reminds me of a Moon Buggy. With a phaser cannon on the back.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-15-2011, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresto View Post
Just because its stupid ain't mean it's not true.

It's canon, accept it.
Nope. There are some things that are far too dumb to accept as canon, even for the most hardcore of Trek nerds. Some might say, especially for us.

The movie is basically asking us to accept that there is a Trek vehicle named the Argo. It's a dune buggy with its own special ship to carry it around places. This dune buggy is far less useful than the shuttle that houses it, which can fly, land anywhere, is shielded and climate contained, etc. Unlike the Argo itself, which:

1: Has room for only three people
2: Cannot cross rivers, mountains, or other natural barriers
3: Provides no protection from the elements or potentially hostile climates of alien worlds
4: Has extremely limited storage capacity
5: Is equipped with one rear-mounted phaser cannon with an extremely limited firing arc that is only useful if you happen to get into a dune buggy chase scene in a terrible movie.

This list goes on and is provided by redlettermedia.com if you want it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-15-2011, 05:06 AM
6: The Argo appeared in a canon Trek movie
7: Therefore, the Argo is canon
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuScrubby View Post
6: The Argo appeared in a canon Trek movie
7: Therefore, the Argo is canon
Just as canon as the space hippies in that TOS episode, "The Way to Eden"

The herbert who came up with the argo should be shot with a cannon. It should never have become canon... We reach?

Steppin' into Eden... Yay, brother...
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Well really the game's most glaring omission is the lack of a house cat. You should be able to play with him like Data did and train him like in Black and White. There already is a feline supplement random drop so I feel cheated. After that we should remind the devs that Picard played a flute, Data the violin, Riker the trombone, and Harry Kim the clarinet.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Please...no more pets
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-15-2011, 05:47 AM
horses, just say no.