# 21
02-09-2011, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavenji View Post
I shall predict the future of tanks in STO:

1/2 the population: "Waaa! They are too tough!"

1/2 the population: "Waaa! They are too weak!"

Add a random: "Waaa! (insert random complaint)!"

As for ship combat from the bridge, I played ST: Bridge Commander and almost never used the bridge view if I could help it. Consider what is cool about space combat. It isn't Picard ordering "Attack pattern Omega-1" and pushing a button on his command chair while everyone lurches to the right. It's watching the purdy starships unleash hot fiery death in space.
Indeed I quote the brilliant insight of Mr John Sheppard. 'Space battles are so much cooler on TV'

In SWG, and don't get me wrong I love being able to have a real time view of what is going on outside my ship, but they didn't do any in bridge stuff, turret or pilot they would always have either a view from the cockpit like a simulator or they had a 3rd person view of the ship for both gunner and pilot.

I am not fussed about having in bridge flight what I want is the consistent viewer and windows that show much whats happening around my ship. I wanna look out of my window in my ready room or quatres and see my friends ship next to me.

As for in sector space travel I would like to see both version being able to select your destination you would in galaxy map and be able to select a speed and walk around my ship to do some stuff and simply see outside the window my ship at warp. Don't even need to see sector space just space and warp particles/stars flying past. Now we already have auto pilot for sector space to go to a specific place... why not allow the ability to go to your bridge have your ship still in sector space and just going to point b on autopilot.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Ground vehicles would be good except for the fact that most of the ground maps are small. The defrai city is a good example of this, the area of the map where the city occupied felt about the same size as a best buy or large supermarket, I think Orgimmar in WoW is a bit bigger. How fast would the vehicles move, 50% or100% faster than walking? You can just sprint to do that. If they did do tanks and hoverbikes it would be in a special map, like the new weekly episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaith View Post
Maybe in a mission or 2, but Ground combat in most of ST Universe lacked ground vehicles of any kind.
You do realise that's because it was a TV show on small closed sets right? As for the films, where they could afford vehicles, ST is the wrong theme for a car chase sequence, whihc is why we only see a vehicle in one film and nowhere else. It's not becasue they don't exist it's because they're never shown.

As to wether vehicle combat would be 'Trek' I don't know, but I doubt Cryptic will sort their engine out to allow vehicle like avatars and open maps anytime soon. Which is a shame becasue it could be pretty cool.

Hopefully some foundry missions will feature 'cut scenes' or interludes in ships while they travel between two locations.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-09-2011, 08:59 AM
The argument of Shuttles making ground vehicles is just as irrevelant as the F-18 making tanks worthless. Yes...they are a considerable danger, but aircraft can attack and area...tanks and soldiers HOLD an area.

I would be fine with larger maps, but Urban combat in buildings is what i really want to see. Combat where you go into a building or enemy stronghold. Deferi was the first good map as you felt there was life there...a population and stuff going on. That was a major step in the right direction. I'd like to see urban combat more often.

Also, REWARDS....just get rid of food items. Give me power armor with a special ability every now and then, give me a unique costume. If i kill a klingon, give me the option to take his armor...take his bathleth. If I kill a Romulan, let me take his pistol or his armor. Make planetary combat WORTH the bother.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Outside of one really lame film, ground vehicles aren't really used much in Star Trek. They make more sense as a one-off encounter than they do as meat and potatoes.

Being chased by a vehicle? Beam us 20 km away or beam us to the ship.
Ever played Star Trek New Worlds? :p

You haven't lived until you've flattened an entire Romulan colony with a battalion of Phaser Tanks.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-12-2011, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
Ever played Star Trek New Worlds? :p

You haven't lived until you've flattened an entire Romulan colony with a battalion of Phaser Tanks.
I wasn't aware anyone had played ST: New Worlds :p

Grats!
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-12-2011, 03:20 AM
As i recall New Worlds is widely accepted as the worst Star Trek Game ever made. :p
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-12-2011, 04:53 AM
All I can add to this thread is This.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-15-2011, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
As i recall New Worlds is widely accepted as the worst Star Trek Game ever made. :p
And that's saying a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-15-2011, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by usndiesel View Post
- Two, ground combat needs to be faster paced, nuff said
Makes me wonder why people say that.. at least i have no problems to take out most people on ground within a fraction of the time it takes to make em blowup in space.. ground is a lot more fast paced then space if you know how.

Quote:
Give some big rewards for bosses or bigger baddies....something that at least you can resell (like the perk of a impulse engine or deflector dish). Give us grenades, give us a cool weapon, give us a new piece of armor or headpiece that has a special power.
They did already do that.. remember the cryo nades, remember the proton gun, remember the crm300.. all of those "cool" items were incredible powerful compared to other ground skills&weapons and had rather adverse effects on the gameplay in ground pvp.

Now for all i care they could make you look like a powerranger and shot rainbow beams with a new headpiece .. as long as they keep that crap outa ground pvp at least. I find the current amount of "cool" effect weapons on the ground already borderline when i think about star trek.

Quote:
- Fourth, how about some spontaneity. Why not see a wild animal run past occassionally. What about some new environments...like fighting STREET TO STREET on Bajor, or under the shadows of Skyscrapers on Romulus or in the middle of a farm. Some new landscapes besides "Oh look...I beamed into the middle of a forest for the 100th time."
Good point, thats actually where the game really lacks some.. on the immersion parts, the environment really needs to get better... but actually if i look at those episodic content i think they are actually on the right way to make it feel more immersive.

Quote:
Fifth and finally....vehicles. I know others will hate this idea. But that is what better loot like grenades or a phaser bazooka could help with. Maybe a tank here or there, what about a ATV, or a shuttle firing on you as aerial support. What about being able to call down a strafing run by your runabouts?
Don't think that fits to much in star trek, i'd love to have planets that require me to land on em with a shuttle tho and get to really see my shuttle landing (maybe a cutscene) and then begin the map inside the shuttle, seeing the exterior through the shuttle windows, moving through the shuttle door outside (and all that preferably without a loading screen between.. but i doubt that will happen).

Quote:
These are just ideas but Ground needs some help. I think these would really make the game fun. Also, rather than have large hypos...lets make use of bridge crew and have a Chief Medical Office do your healing.
No, hypos are very important for pvp balance, without hypos you couldn't cure stun effects like stasis and 2 out of 3 classes couldn't heal and thus would be at a heavy disadvantage. If they want to have a job for the chief medical officer on board of your ship, it should be about injuries.