Lt. Commander
# 11
02-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
What about Tier 0 BoPs?

They are only slightly larger than a Toron shuttle (which surprised the heck out of me) when I flew up to one in my little Toron. In fact, it would make more sense to use a BoP. First is that they are of similar apparent mass to the Toron (unless Cryptic just completely lost the plot with / failed at scaling), second is that the BoP can cloak, so would make for a better reconnaissance vessel than the shuttle. Third is that it has superior offensive and defensive abilities than the shuttle, so would be viewed as the only viable option between the two by Klingons.

Also, why does the D'kyr get a free shuttle but not the Varanus or the Orion ship? Both can summon ships to help them like the D'kyr; so to be fair, why not give one or both the ability to use their shield ships / fighters as a shuttle (for missions like the vault)?

While I'm on the subject, why would the captain of a KDF carrier choose to take in a shuttle instead of one of the BoPs or fighter compliment he has aboard his ship?

Why is it that the KDF ends up feeling like an afterthought in this mission?
The scaling isn't really off. BOPs are tiny ships. Watch Star Trek 4 again. They are more like corvettes or patrol boats than anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the confirmation gang. For some reason I couldn't ge the door to open for me in the Tal'Kyr, but after changing to the Danube it worked. I'll have to go back again and do it Vulcan style.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Well, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.........

I guess the KDF is just ducked.
You're Right! I totally forgot all Klingon ships were supposed to take their designs from birds.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinubabear View Post
You're Right! I totally forgot all Klingon ships were supposed to take their designs from birds.
HeHe...

Klingon Duck of Prey

Mavar
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amergin_Mavar View Post
HeHe...

Klingon Duck of Prey

Mavar
I call fowl!

:3
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinubabear View Post
No they arent, thats the Romulans your thinking of. Actually there were scaling problems in the movies where the Bops were first seen, that ended up with several bops of various sizes.

By the way use of the d7's for the romulans in TOS was due to lack of multiple models of the Rom Bird of Prey. Wanna guess why the Klingon Bird of Prey's in the movies had feather like details on the "wings"? If you guess repurposed Model of updated Romulan Bird of Preys for the cancelled Star Trek tv show that became "Star Trek the Motion Picture", you win.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanNewBoy View Post
No they arent, thats the Romulans your thinking of. Actually there were scaling problems in the movies where the Bops were first seen, that ended up with several bops of various sizes.

By the way use of the d7's for the romulans in TOS was due to lack of multiple models of the Rom Bird of Prey. Wanna guess why the Klingon Bird of Prey's in the movies had feather like details on the "wings"? If you guess repurposed Model of updated Romulan Bird of Preys for the cancelled Star Trek tv show that became "Star Trek the Motion Picture", you win.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Klingon...rey#Background

Quote:
As originally conceived, the Klingon variant of the Bird-of-Prey was actually a Romulan ship; the script of Star Trek III at first called for the film's main villains to be Romulans using a Romulan Bird-of-Prey
In other early drafts of the movie's script, the Bird-of-Prey was suggested as having been stolen, by the ship's Klingon commander, from the Romulans. Later script revisions dropped the ship's connection to the Romulans but the craft's designation as a Bird-of-Prey remained unchanged.
Until "Enterprise" the Bird of Prey remained the only Klingon ship with ties to predatory avians. The Negh'var and Vor'cha both had vague feather patterns on their wings, but with no where near the detail as the Birds of Prey, and could be easily said to be banner patterns. During Ent, "Raptors" were introduced, firmly ensconcing birds into the character of the Klingon race.

Several books attempted to create a link between the Romulans and Klingons by asserting that, previous to the Romulans acquiring D7s, they did not have warp technology; instead they traded their cloaking technology for several Klingon D7s in order to acquire warp technology.