Lt. Commander
# 11
02-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
As much as you may dream at night about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72XhdVqDT1g

in theory - it would be extremely frustrating as a player to rely on other people - who are not in the same room - to communicate and trying to figure out WTF is going on.

If you are looking for that experience - I highly suggest looking into Artemis instead, well at least for 2:33 until your ship explodes and everything devolves into silliness.
lol I like how the guy playing main engineering is playing with his mobile phone at his post! I'd send him to the brig for that!
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:

in theory - it would be extremely frustrating as a player to rely on other people - who are not in the same room - to communicate and figure out WTF is going on, especially when you only have access to one subsystem.

If you are looking for that experience - I highly suggest looking into Artemis instead, well at least for 2:33 until your ship explodes and everything devolves into silliness.
One more reason to have some kind of native voice communication in STO (and this applies doubly for PvP, where if you can't call for certain counters eg. sci team you will die)

I'ts the year 2011 by the way :p
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
I had written a great deal on the subject in pre-beta.

The end result is that we'd need a lot of mini-games and instances within the same instance (ie. Sickbay, Engineering and Bridge all affecting a ship flying in System space). Technologically it's a nightmare.
Ah the old days and the Officer of the Deck idea...
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I imagine something like this, while awesome in theory, would fall apart. One thing is just the need for built in voice chat (I highly doubt Cryptic will release a MAJOR addition like this without built in support for it), which the team has already said they don't plan to do anytime soon.

Also, as captain, what would you do? Technically, you just sit there and give orders, which would be a pretty boring job. The helmsman I imagine would do most of the maneuvering on his own. The weapons guy would be pretty bored (just select a target and button mash spacebar) unless there was some kind of mini-game involved (but lets be honest, it would have to be AWESOME to not get boring and repetitive after a while). Sickbay is just waiting for someone to get hurt (ideally no one would). Engineering would probably see the most action because the captain could delegate power distribution and skills to them. Things like "Divert power to shields" or using Emergency Power to Shields would be common, but when you think about it, it would just be sitting there waiting for an order and pressing a button (again, unless there was a truly AWESOME minigame). All in all, I'm pretty sure this would require so much to make it work, it would almost be its own game.

Personally, though, I like the concept (in a perfect world where it was done well). It's just that it would be really hard to make it fun for ANYONE involved.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
One more reason to have some kind of native voice communication in STO (and this applies doubly for PvP, where if you can't call for certain counters eg. sci team you will die)

I'ts the year 2011 by the way :p
I'm working on the Engineering Report now, but wanted to share this tidbit -

We have signed a deal with Vivox to do in game client integration with their voice chat software - so you can expect in game voice support as part of the Season 4 release.

We talked about doing something like this at launch, but at the time we felt there were better clients out there than what we could get in game. Now that we've had time to investigate, we feel this will offer a great solution for players who want in the box integrated voice chat.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:
I'm working on the Engineering Report now, but wanted to share this tidbit -

We have signed a deal with Vivox to do in game client integration with their voice chat software - so you can expect in game voice support as part of the Season 4 release.

Wonderful news! Thanks for that tidbit!
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver_Bathory View Post
lol I like how the guy playing main engineering is playing with his mobile phone at his post! I'd send him to the brig for that!
I love love love how everyone on the front line are wearing read shirts!

My guess is they are suppose to absorb the blast should a hit come through the main screen.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Quote:
I especially love that the bridge screen view is from outside of the ship anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-15-2011, 04:56 PM
I could see this working if the 5 players on the team agreed to be ordered around by a computer, and it was a short amount of time. Basically, they each get some specific mini game, and for the next minute or two, have to work on that mini game at the whim of the computer. The results of their games could be tied in dynamically, or just a series of "do this, here's how it turned out overall" type things.

Maybe they beam over to a high ranking Starfleet officer's ship that's in trouble. All of a sudden, bad guys warp in, the officer starts yelling orders, the players have to carry them out as mini games. Each game is tied to a bridge console, the players have X amount of time to get to the console and complete the game...

Anyways, cool thread.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
If you really want to try that with STO, you can.
- Invite your friends over with their computers.
- Designate a primary computer with a big screen that runs STO. Make sure your "crew" see the screen.
- Make a LAN.
- Set up 5 different workstation UIs with my little app. Then launch 5 servers with the corresponting UI on the primary STO computer.
- Start 5 clients in the other computers.

After that your friends will be able to control the primary STO client. One of them may steer the ship, the other activate tactical powers and firing, the third may activate engineering powers the 4th do science. And finally someone will be the captain.
The end results would be hilarious I think. Heck, I would even add some kind of a minigame thingy into the app just to see that.