Lt. Commander
# 161
02-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sernon
Yes! We don't need more interchangeable mismatched encounters consisting of general crossdressing!

That's not faction design, more like some Star Trek themed Halloween party, extended version. Now with even more confusing flavors.

---
Agree !

The question is , at which time will end the halloween party ? How many star trek empire must split up till the party ends ?

What about other empires ? As example the dominion... let me make an educated guess : Split up !
Cardassians ? Split up !
Ferengie ? definitively , they split up !
Breen ? Hmm not now but split up in the future ! I am sure that happen.

Should i go on?

Everything , everyone split up at the sto storyline.Maybe i should ask who not ?

Player choose a special race and have to fight against the own race.

Sure that can happen but it happens already too much. Every star trek empire fights against his own race.WTF???

It's boring that every empire we know from star trek act the same way.But that's the gameplay till now in STO.

It's always the same consequence which happen.
Lt. Commander
# 162
02-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
If Worf, one of the most liberal Klingons out there, can't get along with Romulans then I highly doubt most any of them can.
Interesting that the Duras clan worked with the Romulans for decades; and when it was discovered Kempek (then Chancelllor decided to COVER IT UP by accusing Worf's father.) My point: Just outright trying to claim there is no way Klingon's would ally with Romulans (and lets not forget the Romulans and Klingon WERE allied for a time during the TOS era - just watch the TOS 3rd season episode The Enterprise Incident or the Star Trek III: The Search For Spock film - where Klingons were first seen using a cloaking device and a 'Bird of Prey' design); there's plenty of canon references showing tbnhe KDF and Romulans WILL ally if the circumstances are right.
Lt. Commander
# 163
02-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sernon
I don't like this, since Romulans have traditionally managed to put aside internal strife when facing an outward enemy. There has always been internal power games, and to some degree internal fighting, but when the outside world steps on the collective Romulan toes, that comes before any other consideration. Up to now it seems.

Did Romulan Xenophobia and cultural integrity explode with Romulus? Only makes sense if 99% of all Romulans died, and only those on the most awkward and far reaching colonies survived. There will always be small groups exhibiting odd behavior, but that does not constitute a complete cultural reversal for entire dominant population segments.

To be honest, this sounds like an excuse to share content in some way or another, or to make things easier to switch around without any inhibitions, for it makes very little sense to dispose with the *strong* urge Romulans have to *avoid* contact with *alien* species otherwise.

What happened to faction flavor and integrity?? Is there something I am completely missing here, like a perfectly natural reason for huge groups of Romulans to dispose with their senses, and start to mingle with anyone knocking on the door, including their dog, or whatever they consider a pet?

---
One thing to consider is that we don't really *know* what the total aggregate population of the RSE was; when Romulus/Remus were destroyed, exactly how many colony worlds survived, with how many people on them?

As many as the plot requires, I would think.

What are the personal temperments/attitudes/desires of these survivors of the destruction of the Romulan core worlds? Whatever the plot requires, I would think.

I believe some of the seeds of this are currently in STO; some worlds want/seek Fed help, some want to be left alone, some are still xenophobic. You could really have any mix inbetween.

I do think it would be a bit of a short shrift for a playable faction to be "that Romulan captain in a Soveriegn" or "there's a Romulan in command of a K'ting'a", unless it may be a C-store variant class that a core Fed/Kling can play...if enough *good* content can be written to not make a playable Rom faction be "PvP Klingons w/ funny foreheads and no crests who paint things green", or something else that plays as an afterthought, people would be happy to play them.
Lt. Commander
# 164
02-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Very glad you guys are thinking through all of the combos possible in this instance.

There is some soft canon storyline (the Titan novels, etc) where the Klingons actually come to the aid of the Remans, they declare them a protectorate and negotiate land rights for the Remans with Tal'Aura at the end of the first Titan story arc (which is set right after Nemesis) So the Remans are much more likely KDF-friendly than Federation friendly (although there is a Reman guy in those novels who was saved by the Feds, but then again in that series, the KDF and Feds are still friends, so the Remans didn't have to choose between them.

Furthermore, there is also some lore out there that the Hirogen actually respect the Klingons as well, for their martial prowess and warrior culture.

So both of the Remans and Hirogen make some sense as KDF "allies"

However, Romulans being sympathetic to the KDF does NOT. They loathe one another quite a bit after the bad blood that resulted from their first "alliance" (which is the origin of the cloaking tech / D7 cruiser tech swap in TOS times)

I think the main focus of the playable Romulan faction should be the Civil War itself.

As a jumping off point, the Romulan "hub" would be neutral, where players from each of the "sub factions" go about their business under an armistice that covers the captial (assuming its still Rator III)

But then each sub faction might also have access to their "alliance" hubs as well, so that they might share some of the PvE missions with Feds of KDF, while still having plenty of their own that deals with the civil war and such. You might even allow mixed teaming for PVP and STFs

Then there is also the "other way to go... a Romulan + Cardassian faction. Roms, Remans, Hirogen, Trueway, and AlphaQuad Jem'hadar would be a pretty formidable third faction. Plenty of ship choices to flesh things out there, and the Tal-Shiar and Obsidian Order seem like they would mesh extremely well.

Then you could allow the "remnants" that didn't wanna be a part of that huge faction split and team up with Feds and KDF, so you might have playable Fed Romulans/Remans and playable KDF Remans/Hirogen

Do you guys keep up with Soft Canon? The Typhon's Pact story thats going on in the Pocket Book universe is very cool, and I hope you guys can find a way to "shake up" the rigid politcal lines like they did over there.

I can't wait.
Just to point out *SPOILER ALERT* that the Typhon Pact novels deviate from the STO "canon" significantly, espcially in the 3rd novel "Rough Beasts of Empire".

I would think we could see Remans working with the Klingons, some Romulans wanting to ally with the UFP/Starfleet, and a possible 3rd faction acting as neutral/privateer/independents...but a "solo faction" would require very strong writing & mish development to make them enjoyable to players, and not just Klingon Lite w/ PvP and raptor logos.

(I believe the novelization of post-STO: "Needs of the Many" points out the differences in the novels from the MMO, and it's an interesting read.)
Lt. Commander
# 165
02-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
If Worf, one of the most liberal Klingons out there, can't get along with Romulans then I highly doubt most any of them can.
But, to that point, Worf no longer "gets along" with the Federation either, based on their response to the Undine threat.

I don't think that's an example of positively changing one's opinion, but if Worf can do that, so could some Romulans...if it was the right thing to do.