Lt. Commander
# 31
02-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I'm working on the Engineering Report now, but wanted to share this tidbit -

We have signed a deal with Vivox to do in game client integration with their voice chat software - so you can expect in game voice support as part of the Season 4 release.

We talked about doing something like this at launch, but at the time we felt there were better clients out there than what we could get in game. Now that we've had time to investigate, we feel this will offer a great solution for players who want in the box integrated voice chat.
Nice!

Although in that case "co-op bridge" should be feasible after season 4. Obviously a lot of things would need to come first --like playing from the bridge to begin with-- but it's a nice thought that STO could eventually go this direction sometime in the FAR future.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Well I don't plan to use the integrated voice, I find TeamSpeak better for those rare times I want to use voice chat. But I guess if it makes some happy, whatever. I'll just shut it off.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
I have used TeamSpeak a few times with my fleet members, but I generally don't like voice chat much and wish it wasn't going to be bundled with the game client. There are always people you can barely hear, or who are really loud, or who it doesn't work for at all, or people making nasty bodily noises, playing obnoxious music, etc. on it, or with an open mic, which is annoying. So in all honesty, I very likely won't be using it.

For people who do like voice chat, I think TeamSpeak is a better solution than Vivox. I have used games with Vivox in the past and found it to be unreliable, the quality poor, and the problems plentiful with it. The last thing we need in this game is more lag (this will add more data packets when enabled) or bloat or I don't want any crapware installed on my system, and I think everyone can agree on that point. That being said, I guess those who want to use it may do so and the rest of us will just have it forced on us with a future patch even if we disable the functionality in the game. Would it be possible to delete the Vivox files and still play the game, so that they don't take up disk space unnecessarily? That would make this a bit less of a nuisance, at least.

I know its not the end of the world, but I don't approve of this particular plan, no matter how well intentioned. This is still not good news for me. Please reconsider this or at least make the instllation of the voice stuff completely optional and customizable/able to be disabled (both playback and recording) as an account wide setting.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
After reading the first post, i thought woudln't be be kool to see your entire crew on a runabout at seated at there stations. punching away at tthe controls, as you give them orders. A shuttle or runabout set wouldn't be that hard to do for space combat.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I'm working on the Engineering Report now, but wanted to share this tidbit -

We have signed a deal with Vivox to do in game client integration with their voice chat software - so you can expect in game voice support as part of the Season 4 release.

We talked about doing something like this at launch, but at the time we felt there were better clients out there than what we could get in game. Now that we've had time to investigate, we feel this will offer a great solution for players who want in the box integrated voice chat
Dude that's AWESOME!

Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-16-2011, 02:40 AM
In addition to this, now we have shuttles I had the idea that we could have a 'Argo' STF where one player stays in the shuttle with a full overview of the terrain (directing the path), and then another player drives (with a 'fog-of-war'), with two players on the back firing weapons. The fifth player would be a 'passenger' buffing both the vehicle and the people in it.
As for enemies, presumably the Borg would have some sort of ground or low altitude ship (maybe a version of the 'Rectangle'), that could work better in terms of tech required for such a thing.
Along the way of course, there would be 'safe points' much like a styling used in Left4Dead where you have a chance to plan out where you go next. (This STF could also use the Genesis engine system, in which the terrain is changed every time).
Also the player in the shuttle could experience something like what happens during Kithomer Accord, where when the Argo rover gets to a safe point, Borg beam in to the shuttle (and get deactivated once a hidden node on the ground has a feedback pulse routed through it, for example).
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-16-2011, 02:42 AM
<Continue_Thread_Derail>

Oh YES! PUGs will have a slightly better hope in PvP! This is fantastic! Even if not everyone talks, I bet a lot will listen.

</Continue_Thread_Derail>

I wish there was a way to have co-op bridge control, but every time I try to imagine it I don't see it working well. I'm no game designer, though.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-16-2011, 03:12 AM
For the first: Those who do not like Teamspeak and do not want to use it shouldnt be suprised if they simply suck in playing. I dont do PvP or STFs (especially with "newbies") anymore without it. And if you dont get teams because you refuse to comunicate, its your fault.

Back to topic: The "Bridge"-gameplay is an Idea we should say goodbeye to. The game IS NOT Bridge Commander, it is "Star Trek Online"; the whole way of gameplay is simply not based on Bridge combat, and if bridge combat is wantet it would have to be an all over new game.
The only way i would like to see ship controll via bridge is traveling in sector space. And I mean "Intead" of the current sector space, an all over "bridge base" traveling. The sector space might look MUCH better now, but I thing it "less is more"; means without a special detailed "MAP" (wich tells us there are exactly 20 planets in that sector or 10 in this), to travel in an "open sector space" would give us a better feeling of "Freedom". If we would travel in something that feels like open space where we could travel simply to "all systems in the liist", including random "exploration"-planets, and may be had to avoid enemy confrontations via minigame or get at random distress call missions ect ect ect.

For the "coop" on certain ships.... I believe, on a long term there could be ways to include that (not from bridge view), as an OPTIONAL way of gameplay. That would even solve that "wrong balance" problems. To a lot of players it feels just wrong that the exelsior or even the defaint is even with the Souvereign or Galaxy. Some people are even afraid of the NX or Consti coming as t5...
So if we had "Multiplayer-ships" that could balance it.
A Souvereign would be, for example, a 5 player ship. It would be as strong as 5 single player ships. Ships like a Miranda Refit/t5-Nx ect would stay a 1 player only ship. Ships like the defaint would be 2 or 3 player ships ect ect ect.
How to pilot them is to find out.... I mean... like suggestet; 1 would have the controll about the helm, a probably tactical would have weaopn controll (or two tactical, i mean if the ships strength increases with every player ON it, why not letting it have more weapon slots?^^), another one could assign fighters to targerts ect ect.
With the MVA of the prometheus, for example, it could be at will if the Players play as ONE ship or seperate it, with one player in controll of each ship part.

That would make intresting combinations possible, you could have a whole team on 1 ship, the team could be on 2 ships (one 3-player, one 2-player) ect ect ect.
It should be, of course OPTIONAL, not everybody has such a team at hand any times, but A LOT of players who enjoy playing as a team would, I believe, love to play that way.