Lt. Commander
# 11
02-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie
That depends on what you are talking about before you can say one way of doing anything is the only way is a matter of opinion.

In response to this statement you are referring to, it is a matter of fact. There is only one way to get slip-stream drive and that is to reach level 51. You cannot get the ability at any other level so that is the only way and that is fact.
As I was trying to say, the only way to get slipstream drive is to reach level 51 is a matter of fact. The best way and the worse way to get slipstream drive is to reach level 51 is a matter of opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk2Sn View Post
As I was trying to say, the only way to get slipstream drive is to reach level 51 is a matter of fact. The best way and the worse way to get slipstream drive is to reach level 51 is a matter of opinion.
But being as it's the only way, it's "every way"

And isn't an opinion what one personally feels towards something...

1. Reaching VA to get slipstream is the worst
2. The best and worst way to get slipstream is to reach VA

Number one is strictly opinion.
Number two is true; beyond any reason of doubt, but if something is true...does that make it fact?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
if something is true...does that make it fact?
Not necessary. If something is fact, does that make it untrue? Let's say for a fact that the sun rises from the east and sets in the west. You're in San Francisco on a sunny day, which is true in that exact moment. However, a few hours later and you're in a different location, the previous statement is a fallacy.

Facts and truths are so related to each other that people often take the two as similar terms. In terms of pernamence, facts almost never changes and is more constant than truths. Truths are subjective, much like opinion as I said before in this thread. So, the truth is temporary than the fact.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Not necessary. If something is fact, does that make it untrue? Let's say for a fact that the sun rises from the east and sets in the west. You're in San Francisco on a sunny day, which is true in that exact moment. However, a few hours later and you're in a different location, the previous statement is a fallacy.
If the fact wasn't proven, accepted or true then it would just be a theory...wouldn't it?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Not necessary. If something is fact, does that make it untrue?.....
Please just do us all a favour and attend a first year philosophy class.
You'll feel better and I don't have to get frustrated.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanth0r
Please just do us all a favour and attend a first year philosophy class.
You'll feel better and I don't have to get frustrated.
On a scale of 10, you get 10 points for advice and you get 3 points for counterproductive.

I hate to boast but first year philosophy class did wonders for me, and even going as far to taking metaphysics and psychology classes. Me Feel better? I'm fine. What's not to feel better about? I don't think you have to get frustrated over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
If the fact wasn't proven, accepted or true then it would just be a theory...wouldn't it?
If there's no fact present, it's just a speculation. A theory is a proposed explaination of empirical phenomena (some facts are present), and yet again something that is subjective. Speculation is based on the conclusion of opinion reached by contemplation. A fact needs not to be proven, it exists or present in reality. Basically, a fact is seen visually and is something that is vertified.

Factually speaking, quantum slipstream drive is acquired by reaching level 51 (Vice Admiral 1 in Starfleet). In my abstain opinion, the way to get quantum slipstream drive is to reach level 5 is neither the best nor the worse.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gym_Quirk
And therefore the best way.

Gym "ignoring the fact tha it's also the worst way..." Quirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
It's the only way.
Slipstream. It's not the best way to travel faster than light - it's the only way.

(If you'll excuse the franchise garbling there.)