Lt. Commander
# 21
02-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Why not do this? Does there need to be a weird anomaly floating in orbit of Earth and Qo'noS in order to get to the Captain's Table? Why can't the players that have access simply be rewarded a Transwarp that goes there. Wouldn't that make sense?

Then only players who have access would even know about it (from now on at least), giving it the mystery it deserves. You would be able to go there from anywhere and return to Sector Space wherever you left off (like a DSE), instead of having to travel all the way back from ESD/Qo'noS every time.

And it would get rid of the weird portal thing everyone complains about.

Just a thought.

I totally agree with this.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi'a Meese
Did the novels ever tell of the Captain's entire starship making a visit?
No, in the novels/short stories the Captain's Table could only be entered through a door on a planet or space station, and only by the ship's captain.

Quote:
Did the visiting Captain's ever see the space station from the outside? Or did they just have view ports to peek from?
As I recall, the Captain's Table was windowless. Also, since the Table is apparently outside time and space (the captain of the H.M.S. Titanic is in there, more or less catatonic), the interior is technically incorrect. It's always been depicted as closer to an English pub than the high-tech rec room we have now (not that this is a big deal for me, I'm just sayin'). edit: Never mind, it takes on whatever appearance the individual patron wants, so the current look is fine.

Quote:
Wasn't the entrance to the Captain's Table random doorways? On planets? On the starships themselves?
Yeah, on planets and space stations. I don't think anyone ever accessed it from inside a starship.

If I had my druthers, the Captain's Table would be accessible through ground doors in every major social hub (ESD, SB 39, K-7, DS9, Drozona, and Qo'nos). A transwarp doorway (with a seperate cooldown from the other transwarps thank you) would also be acceptable, in addition to the doors. I don't think that it should be accessible from ship interiors, though.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar
Why not do this? Does there need to be a weird anomaly floating in orbit of Earth and Qo'noS in order to get to the Captain's Table? Why can't the players that have access simply be rewarded a Transwarp that goes there. Wouldn't that make sense?

Then only players who have access would even know about it (from now on at least), giving it the mystery it deserves. You would be able to go there from anywhere and return to Sector Space wherever you left off (like a DSE), instead of having to travel all the way back from ESD/Qo'noS every time.

Just a thought.
I also like this idea! +++++

Lt. Commander
# 24
02-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Quote:
I've been asking for this for a long time, potentially since it first came out and I agree... not sure since when there was a weird nebulous portal just off Earth's orbit. It needs to go and a Transwarp Gate is the best thing to put in its place.. either that or simply get rid of it as it doesn't really seem to have much use anyways.

Or alternatively so it's not a complete waste.. rename the Captain's Table to Starbase <insert number here> and put it in the Regulus Sector Block somewhere so that people doing missions there don't have to go all the way back to Earth if they need to go there for whatever reason. At least this way it won't be a complete waste of resources.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:

Just a thought.

I support this idea. /signed +1.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-16-2011, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't mind the idea, if there was actually a reason to go there. Give it all the functionality of ESD or Qo'Nos (outside of ship purchasing and promotions) so people actually would consider going there on a regular basis.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Good point. I went there once to check it out and haven't been back since. If it had some in game signifgance other than giving a big nod to the captain's table novels that might help. Maybe an end game level quest set which involves the Temporal Cold War going on through there sort of like the intrigues in Casablanca?
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwazoo42 View Post
Good point. I went there once to check it out and haven't been back since. If it had some in game signifgance other than giving a big nod to the captain's table novels that might help. Maybe an end game level quest set which involves the Temporal Cold War going on through there sort of like the intrigues in Casablanca?
Only problem with that idea is that - obviously - the number of people who could participate would be limited. Considering non-lifers freaked the f@%$ out when they announced the room, imagine how they'd hate it now, even if they could eventually join in.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-16-2011, 09:04 AM
We just won't tell them that we are, in truth, more awesome than they are.

Just kidding, I forgot that the thing is lifers only.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidethfreak View Post
I wouldn't mind the idea, if there was actually a reason to go there. Give it all the functionality of ESD or Qo'Nos (outside of ship purchasing and promotions) so people actually would consider going there on a regular basis.
I think the lower functionality is fine if you can access it at any time from your ship interior without blowing a cooldown.