Lt. Commander
# 11
01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasherman View Post
Hi guys.

Whilst this isn't an "I'm leaving BEC0Z STUFF SUX AND TEH GAEM IS DYIIIIGN!" thread (although, there IS a thread like that, and I'd highly recommend it, as it's a fascinating read, and the OP is quite a studly guy, from what I hear) I just wanted to let people know that, in the interim, I may not be around all that much.

A few days ago, my Firewire card stopped working properly - it stopped recognising my camcorder. I know that doesn't sound like a huge deal, as my job doesn't entail I use a camcorder at all, but without dropping a grand or two on a sound recording set-up, that's how I do all my songs, so it's a pretty big deal for me. Then, my PC would only turn on if I turned the tower to a 45 degree angle. Last night, my sound card stopped working, because one of the drivers was unsigned. It had been fine for over a year, and then...blat. Nothing. I reset my PC, but it didn't turn back on.

I've currently got it back up and running, by removing the sound card and Firewire card, but it may be a temporary fix. As such, I don't know when my PC will be stable enough for gaming and/or posting again.

So, since Daddy's leaving the house for a bit, here's a few ground rules:

1. I'm temporarily giving my half of AFCTF to Captain_Zero, placing her in direct control.
2. No wild parties. Hort, I'm looking at you. Don't drive off too many women, you already scared away Opaserv, and she was funny.
3. If anyone gets sued under Federal Hate Crime laws, and I'm not named a co-defendant, I'll be very upset.
4. Dstahl...no adding anything major till I return. I know where the skeletons are buried, and I'm not adverse to going to Tijuana to dig them up.
5. Eat your vegetables
6. OMG TEH GAEM IS DYYYYINGN!

Everyone have fun, and hopefully I'll see you all again before too long.
What, nothing for me?

We'll keep the coffee on. Catch you around man.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-04-2011, 04:14 PM
[Crowbars Hort off of Flasherman.]

Sorry to hear that, Flasherman. I hope you'll still drop by now and then to see what's up until you get your computer fixed.

I can sympathize, hell, I can empathize.

My computer also crapped out on me, right before the holidays. Won't boot up, not even with a boot disk (it tries, fails, black screen for several minutes, tries again, etc). A friend's IT guy said that, without looking at the system personally (my friend sent him some pics I took of the loading screens), he thinks it is the video card (cards, in my case, dual 8800gt's for SLI). Lovely, if he's right, that's ~$300 I'd rather not spend right now... (and here I thought my tax refund would be going to savings this year...)

What have I got now? A 4+ year old HP Pavillion (glad I did not give it away now!) that weezes and groans under the strain of casual internet browsing and email checking. It feels like it has the power of a modern notebook computer. I got STO to run on iton it...sorta. The graphics are sheer hell and that's just in ESD. Oh, and if I close any window (even a popup), IE crashes to desktop. Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, and Happy New Year to me!

Thank the powers that be for my XBox 360 or I'd be in a clock tower with a gun by now (been meaning to play Fable III and Red Dead Redemption for over a month now anyways).

Quote:
3. If anyone gets sued under Federal Hate Crime laws, and I'm not named a co-defendant, I'll be very upset.
Wait, what? Did I miss something in the last two weeks?
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Quote:
So, since Daddy's leaving the house for a bit, here's a few ground rules:

1. I'm temporarily giving my half of AFCTF to Captain_Zero, placing her in direct control.
This should be interesting. Very interesting. (I find this funny 'cause I'm not home or on the computer much now and probably won't be for the next 8 weeks or so.)
Quote:
Hi guys.

Whilst this isn't an "I'm leaving BEC0Z STUFF SUX AND TEH GAEM IS DYIIIIGN!" thread (although, there IS a thread like that, and I'd highly recommend it, as it's a fascinating read, and the OP is quite a studly guy, from what I hear) I just wanted to let people know that, in the interim, I may not be around all that much.

A few days ago, my Firewire card stopped working properly - it stopped recognising my camcorder. I know that doesn't sound like a huge deal, as my job doesn't entail I use a camcorder at all, but without dropping a grand or two on a sound recording set-up, that's how I do all my songs, so it's a pretty big deal for me. Then, my PC would only turn on if I turned the tower to a 45 degree angle. Last night, my sound card stopped working, because one of the drivers was unsigned. It had been fine for over a year, and then...blat. Nothing. I reset my PC, but it didn't turn back on.

I've currently got it back up and running, by removing the sound card and Firewire card, but it may be a temporary fix. As such, I don't know when my PC will be stable enough for gaming and/or posting again.
Hope ya get everythin' straightened out. Best wishes.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
did you try pouring water on it?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Bleargh...

Bought a new hard drive, but it will not format with the NTFS (keeps coming out RAW). I want to make this my primary drive but if I can't format it...

Bought a full copy Windows 7 (*ouch*) but it will not autoplay/boot up and I cannot open the drive (to look at the disk contents and manually run setup.exe)...

<pinches bridge of nose between thumb and forefinger>

I had to wait until I got my tax refund so I could upgrade some components and nothing works so far. I am almost afraid to install the 2 new video cards I bought...
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-16-2011, 11:19 AM
By the Prophet! pray for Prophet's computer to be healed. Ohm banana-cream pie to the face never gets old. Amen!
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Well, you obviously didn't try what worked back in the day...hit the damn thing till it starts working again.
We will keep the red light on for you Flasher.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
This is the 25th Century! We don't hit things until they work: We shove them out an airlock so that they can get a better wireless signal (or cool off after overclocking.)
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Imagine how much improved the clockspeeds would be if we could run our PCs in the vacuum and cold of space...
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-16-2011, 12:42 PM
I can has ur stuffzz??? :p

Seriously, hope you're able to get your problems worked out soon. PC problems that is, from what I understand your other problems require ointment and should clear up in about a month.