Lt. Commander
# 31
02-17-2011, 08:53 AM
I think the big problem was the crew. Sure a lot of the stories had promise but for me the casting just failed to deliver. Captain Archer just wasn't a dynamic presence. His subordinates were rigid to point of being typecast, especially his engineering officer. There was little chemistry, as least to me, between them.

Honestly, the most entertaining part of the show to me was the opener. I enjoyed that little song they played with the Enterprise montage.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaSamurai
I think the big problem was the crew. Sure a lot of the stories had promise but for me the casting just failed to deliver. Captain Archer just wasn't a dynamic presence. His subordinates were rigid to point of being typecast, especially his engineering officer. There was little chemistry, as least to me, between them.

Honestly, the most entertaining part of the show to me was the opener. I enjoyed that little song they played with the Enterprise montage.
I think a lot of the chemistry issues were due to the fact that it was set up to be an action adventure while the writing was for a drama. That was why the 4th season worked so well, it was finally written as an action adventure.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-17-2011, 11:09 AM
With Enterprise it just seemed that nobody knew what they wanted to do for the longest time. The writers and actors just kind of did stuff to pass time, lost in the unknowingness of whether this was an action series, a serious drama, or an adventure in technobabble. Until they did the Temporal Cold War arc which was kind of lame.

Then once they did that, it started getting better. But by then the damage was done and they got canceled.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I agree that Enterprise had its own problems but it did not help that the TNG movies (with the exception of First Contact) were so incredibly lame. One of the things that helped TNG and DS9 was the fact that at least every other TOS movie was good. This in turn helped create audiences for the programs.

There was a kind of symbiosis between the series and the movies, creating a positive feedback loop where both drew in audiences and built upon each other. By the time Voyager was done that symbiosis was clearly broken, the feedback loop had become negative with both the show and the movies driving off all but the most hard-core Trek fans.

Enterprise was good, but it needed to be great to overcome the accumulated negativity, and it just did not have what it needed to do that.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-17-2011, 09:39 PM
My biggest problem is the fact that certain members of the main cast aren't all that interesting. Because of their poor reception, the rest of the cast except for Archer, T'Pol, and Trip have very few episodes that center on them and as such, the crew doesn't feel well rounded. On top of that, alot of canon was broken, which annoyed core Trek fans.

That being said, the Xindi story arc was quite good, as was the relationships between Archer, Trip, and T'Pol, which made the show bearable for me.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
On top of that, alot of canon was broken, which annoyed core Trek fans.
If trek fans really hated when canon was being broken in the show they would have to hate star trek itself, lol
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-17-2011, 10:08 PM
The first season was really weak but then the first seasons of TNG and DS9 were too. The fourth season was really good though. Well except for the finale.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Ent was marketed towards a younger audience that just didn't get trek, so they tried to real back in the real trek fans with the xindi story arc, but that was too late. When they knew they were getting canceled in season 4 they just made the stories they wanted to and I think some of the best episodes came as a result.

I have to say I liked more of the characters than on voyager. I'd give ENT 4th place overall, might have ranked higher if they got through a few more seasons. But shows don't get much of chance these days to develop. Remeber TOS, TNG, DS9 and even the early seasons of VOY were in a time when only 3 networks dominated.