Lt. Commander
# 11
02-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.mcnaught
ye the only problem with that Havelock is my posted concern, aside from the size of patches, was also about install size and if im not mistaken using Tribble more or less doubles it.
True, it does make another copy of the game. Sorry, can't help ya there. Buy a bigger HD. :p
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Yes, using Tribble takes up more disk space than just having the basic game. I don't subscribe to Tribble simply because I don't have time to maintain two characters on holideck, let alone a totally separate server instance. Regardless, even if you are active on Tribble, you are still downloading the patches, even if it is piecemeal .

I am fine with the downloads, as it is part of using an Active MMO, but downloading near 1GB (sometimes) still takes a reasonable amount of time, at times. And if the patch is fresh, the download seems to take longer due to the traffic (amount of users) downloading it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-18-2011, 10:44 AM
I agree patches are a good thing but 1.5 gig patches every week seems a bit much especially since they just had the BIG patch a month ago.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-18-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure why the patch is that big considering it only effects the 2 uniforms, missions and ability changes according to the patch notes.

Either there's undocumented graphical changes going in, probably episode 3 data or something odd.

For about 3 patches now I've actually had to download more than what the "patched" amount was, especially odd when the data received is larger than the patched size.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekronus View Post
I'm not sure why the patch is that big considering it only effects the 2 uniforms, missions and ability changes according to the patch notes.
Don't forget the things they messed up with this patch. I'm sure that's a lot of data too.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekronus View Post
The Prometheus mesh has also been altered. Prior to this patch, the housing for the nacelle on top of the saucer section was floating slightly above where it should actually be sat. After todays patch it has decended into the top of the saucer section where it should actually be.

Considering the size of mesh files outside of any games file structure, that probably contributed quite nicely to the patch size. Keeping in mind that this fix wasn't listed, it's likely a number of other aesthetic fixes were not listed in the release notes as well.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-18-2011, 11:31 AM
You realize that you're also prepatching Foundry assets and tools as well as new missions, fixes, and data overrides, right?

The HOGGs have always contained content well in advance of its actual release date, partly so the devs just have to throw a switch on patch day?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-18-2011, 11:36 AM
As I said before, I surmise that the large patch size is attributed to additional data not stated in the patch notes, if that were the case I would make a suggestion to Cryptic to simply state in the general issues of the patch notes:

Implemented data for upcoming content/episodes.

At least it would clarify where the large data sizes are coming from.