Lt. Commander
# 11
02-18-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm past bored and into "frustrated" now. That clock was reset on that a little by Sector Space getting fixed finally, but none of the fundamental aspects of the game that need to change have changed. Moreover, it seems like they've all taken a back seat to new things that, while potentially interesting and beneficial, are unnecessary new additions.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Now, I considering some of the response, I feel I should point out the purpose of the thread wasn't so much that I'm bored (though I am), it was to discuss what I thought might be a remedy to that (ie. randomized missions and/or events).
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
o if only exploration wasnt total crap... 4 months to go !
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-18-2011, 02:21 PM
I think randomized missions can get "samey" after a while too. I think they just need to handcraft more little exploration missions, there needs to be more variability in the base missions, but that variability actually crafted in.

What I do like though, is the idea of random elements in missions - there may be some variables like ion storms and things like that, that could be randomly occurring (like Godzilla and UFO invasions in Sim City ).

I think though, more than anything, they need to play around more with the basic layout settings. I'm a newbie, Lt Cmdr, nearly Cmdr, and the one thing I've noticed that drags is the LAYOUT. Every planet has a ring of asteroids. Many missions have you scanning some of the larger asteroids for something. Etc.

What's needed is more variety in the space settings' layouts. The planets themselves are a bit lacklustre - not terrible, but not awe inspiring ilke EVE's. I know there's a certain amount of cartoony stylisation to the art design, but some work just needs to be done on the space settings (for the exploration missions in particular I'm talking about - there are quite a few great, varied settings in the game overall) to make them more real looking, less plasticky.

The layouts problem was the problem with CoH too - it wasn't so much the tilesets (office, warehouse, etc.) it was more that the layouts themselves were composed of elements that became recognisable over time ("ah this is this type of L-shaped corridor, mobs will be waiting behind there").

Analogously, here, you warp in, and there's another fricken' asteroid belt that you've got to search for anomalies through. I love the anomalies thing, and for sure this would be part of your daily grind as a Starfleet Officer - but the settings in which this daily Starfleet officer's grind occurs, have to be more varied, more awe-inspiring, weirder.

The devs need to look at some of the shots from satellites we have nowadays - Beta Carinae, etc., etc. There are just tons of weird and wonderful formations of stuff in outer space.

Anyway, just a vent. That and the lack of in-ship stuff are the things that are wearing me down on the game, which I love in many other respects.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Idleness breeds heresy...

Rotating activities a bit, boredom is a luxury at any rate. Happy to experience it now and then.

---