Lt. Commander
# 11
02-18-2011, 01:53 AM
I have never seen a MMO Tutotial that covers every aspect of the game. All MMO's require players to learn and discover as you go. There is nothing wrong with the Tutorial - it serves its purpose by teachign the very basics.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-19-2011, 12:58 PM
The big problem with the tutorial?

The story. So everyone's the sole surviving officer of their ship, given a battlefield commission during almost identical attacks by the Borg?

It's a bit hackneyed, and it's hardly ideal for an MMO for everyone to have the same 'unique' backstory, is it?

How about something a bit more... ...'generic'? For example, you're fresh out of the Academy, and doing various basic assignments in runabouts and the like, until you hit Lieutenant, and Admiral Quinn decides to give you a shot at starship command.

Basically, something a little more plausible for thousands of gamers to ALL have as their character's backstory!
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abysmalyxia View Post
I hear they're reworking the tutorial, which is good... because truth be told the setup they have now is just positively awful.

There's so much about the game that the tutorial doesn't even begin to cover and the tooltips are frequently just as bad. Only now, after about two weeks of play am I finally beginning to put a lot of these things together and I'm sure there's tons I just don't know about.

There needs to be some sort of advanced tutorial or something. Figuring out the action is the easiest part of this game, figuring out how everything works together is something else entirely. This game is frequently maddeningly vague about how some things fit together.

So, Cryptic, just letting you know I REALLY think your tutorial is incredibly inadequate and it's frustrating having to spam zone chat to figure things out.
I don't like ground combat, especially at low levels. However, I can't really say the tutorial is bad. In fact, its more like a patrol mission in which you can meet and cooperate with other players without needing vent or 4 hours of free time.

Now if your an altoholic like me, well then you run into replayablity problems, but any mmo has those.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
I have never seen a MMO Tutotial that covers every aspect of the game. All MMO's require players to learn and discover as you go. There is nothing wrong with the Tutorial - it serves its purpose by teachign the very basics.

Not every game is as complex as this one. This game is relatively complex for an MMO.

"What do Emitters do?" isn't quite as intuitive as "What does Strength do?". Strength makes you hit harder.... Emitters make you do what exactly? For a person just picking up the game this can be pretty daunting... couple that with the fact that they're actually learned TWO relatively complex MMOs at the same time... the ground game in many respects being an MMO unto itself.

Sorry, the tutorial needs to be much more exhaustive than it is, if only on the first play through. Cryptic needs to make Cinematics, as it were, explaining what stuff does.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abysmalyxia View Post
So, Cryptic, just letting you know I REALLY think your tutorial is incredibly inadequate and it's frustrating having to spam zone chat to figure things out.
Umm, I think that's part of the idea - the devs have to tread a fine line between revealing enough information so you don't get too lost at any point, and not revealing too much, so there's still something left for you to discover - either by figuring it out for yourself, or asking other people (an MMORPG being a social game and all).

They're not going to get it right for everybody - clearly for you the tutorial was too thin. For me, it was just fine - enough to get me starting to play the game, but I still have to discover things for myself, ask people, etc., both of which I like doing.

The game would be totally boring to me if there was no mystery, and it would diminish the social aspect of the game somewhat if there weren't "initiates" you could ask about things - i.e. people more experienced, who guide newbies.

It's all part of the MMORPG experience, and although it's possible to play an MMORPG solo, it's neither possible nor desirable to play it like a single-player game.

What I do think is a problem is that the UI is a bit "bitty" - although it's not terrible, it's a bit clunky overall, in that relevant information isn't easiliy referencable when you need it, it's not "at your fingertips", so to speak (e.g. compare and contrast EVE Online).