Lt. Commander
# 181
02-18-2011, 01:21 PM
It's interesting you say a fraction of a second, as I regularly find myself hovering around 30 power on attack mode when I'm getting a full broadside attack in - this can go on for a few seconds before it begins to move back up, but rarely reaches 100 again.
Lt. Commander
# 182
02-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynOpias View Post
One quick question for you actually if you don't mind: whilst, for example, the Energy Weapon Efficiency skill has no effect on my weapon power in attack mode, would I benefit from it during combat due to my power levels being lowered with each attack, often ending up <50?
The Power Traits, Skills and Consoles effect only power settings. Those items don't directly affect the power levels of your subsystems.. Power levels are affected by power boosts (i.e. Batteries), power drains (e.g. firing energy weapons, Beam: Target Subsystem X, Beam Overload X, etc). and power drain resistance(e.g. Nadion Inversion).

Power Boosts will directly +X to the power level of the subsystem(s) *up to the limit of their power setting). Power Drains will directly remove -X from the power level of the subsystem(s). Power Drain Resistance will reduced the magnitude of any power drains. For example 50% power drain resistance would reduce the -50 Power Drain of a Beam Overload attack to -25.

Power Settings are different from Power Levels. Power levels change at a natural rate of +/- 5 power/second. So when you shift power scheme (i.s. Speed to Offense), the power settings change instantly to their new values. But the power levels only change at the Power Transfer Rate. That means it would take 10 seconds (50 / 5) for Weapons Power to recover after a Beam Overload attack (-50 Weapon Power). EPS Flow Regulator Engineering Console will increase the Power Transfer Rate. (Note: Drains from Energy Weapon firing are an exception to the above mechanics. The Power Drain from an energy weapon firing is restored instantly after the firing cycle of the weapon finishing.)

And to further illustrate Power Settings and Power levels let us take the Red Matter Capacity (RMC) console. The RMC will adding +25 Power Settings to each subsystem. However, that leave a 25 power void Normally It would take the ship 5 seconds to fill up that void (Power Transfer Rate of 5 power /second). That isn't very useful in combat as the power setting bonus only lasts 10 seconds. However, the RMC will also add +25 Power to each system to instantly fill that power void. So you instance have higher power settings and the power levels to go along with them.
Lt. Commander
# 183
02-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
(Note: Drains from Energy Weapon firing are an exception to the above mechanics. The Power Drain from an energy weapon firing is restored instantly after the firing cycle of the weapon finishing.)
This is what I am questioning, though. In my experience the power level is not restored after the firing cycle, despite having a 110 power setting I am never above a power level of 40 or 50 in a battle due to my beam arrays firing. And I have checked to make sure I'm not missing it going higher.
Lt. Commander
# 184
02-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynOpias View Post
This is what I am questioning, though. In my experience the power level is not restored after the firing cycle, despite having a 110 power setting I am never above a power level of 40 or 50 in a battle due to my beam arrays firing. And I have checked to make sure I'm not missing it going higher.
The drain for weapon fire is instant. The isseu you are seeing is because the weapon fire is starggered instead of everythign at the same instant. And if you are using mixed energy weapon types, the length of the firing cycle is different for each weapon. And also the number of weapons you are firing also enter into the mix. As you can see there are lot of complex interactions going on.

Nanorak has a thread in which he has done a lot of work in mapping out weapon fire, weapon power, number of weapons, etc to get overall DPS chart for a wide range of conditions. And he has also written a Ship DPS calculator which takes skills, weapons, power levels, etc into account to calculate DPs for you ships. As soon as I find them, I link them into this post.
Lt. Commander
# 185
02-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
...Nanorak has a thread... I link them into this post.
Fuzun, thanks for stepping in with the extra commentary here, I appreciate it! Nagorak's posts are links in the second post in this thread (along with one of your threads).
Lt. Commander
# 186
02-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Dang it! I knew I have should have looked it up before posting. I always misremember names.
Lt. Commander
# 187
02-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Dang it! I knew I have should have looked it up before posting. I always misremember names.
LOL, no worries mate! If it makes you feel any better whenever I post your name I can't help but think "funzun" (which reads in my head as "fun zone" lol)... I have may times mistyped your name adding the 'n' in the middle and had to go back and edit it out (I usually catch it right away).
Lt. Commander
# 188
02-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Hey there,

Only been playing for about a fortnight so i'm still learning alot about the game, i'm currently lvl 47 and am playing a Joined Trill with Warp Theorist & Techie, you mentioned that the Bonus' Efficient Captain & Joined Symbiote dont stack, what I was wondering is what is the difference between these 2 traits? Which is the better trait to go for when I make my next charecter and how much of a difference they have?

Thanx in advance

Sheriden.
Lt. Commander
# 189
02-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriden82 View Post
Hey there,

Only been playing for about a fortnight so i'm still learning alot about the game, i'm currently lvl 47 and am playing a Joined Trill with Warp Theorist & Techie, you mentioned that the Bonus' Efficient Captain & Joined Symbiote dont stack, what I was wondering is what is the difference between these 2 traits? Which is the better trait to go for when I make my next charecter and how much of a difference they have?

Thanx in advance

Sheriden.
Welcome to STO Sheriden!

To be clear, it's not so much that Joined Trill and Efficient Captain don't stack, as much as they can not be taken on the same character. If you play a JT, you do not have EC on your list of available traits. JT will stack with one or more Efficient BOs, though, BTW.

As for what's better on your next character, I recently commented on that in another thread, here:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...43#post3368543
Lt. Commander
# 190
02-21-2011, 05:42 AM
Thank you its great to be here and thank you for a speedy reply.

I had a look at the Efficient BO's an 34 million credits was the cheapest, so i'm a bit off getting any of those just yet, I also bought a Delta Flyer instead of a Borg BO so gotta wait to get 1 of them too haha.

Sheriden.
Closed Thread