Lt. Commander
# 1 TROLL: The acceptable insult.
02-21-2011, 03:58 PM
So far as I've been able to determine I believe that, across all communities there is one particular insult that is always acceptable.

Troll.

I've never (ever) seen someone be punished for it, and I've even asked Stormshade about it but he never bothered to respond.

As such, I'm making this plea to the community.

The accusation of Troll is used frequently, almost always to target someone whose views differ from the accusers own. Though this may be difficult for many of you to believe, I consider the word hurtful. It's dismissive and abusive and unkind. It relegates the other person in the discussion to kind of dehumanized position.

"Your opinion isn't valid, you're just a troll".

"Your comments aren't necessary, you're just trolling".

"We don't like you, you're a troll."

I'd like STO to be a "Troll Free Zone". That the forum regulars, the new players, the whole lot of us simply refuse to accuse people of being a "Troll".

I've made silly posts, I've made angry posts, I've made insightful posts... but never have I made a post simply to wreck someones day, evoke a negative emotional response, or just make people angry. I've made funny posts (See my crafting/looking for vespene parody of my own posts post), and I've made angry posts (See my D'Kyr post)... but the motivation behind all of them has been either lighthearted or from a desire to improve the game. Even my most colorfully worded posts sought to improve the game, or elicit discussions concerning the core of the game philosophy.

I'm no Troll. I don't think most people accused of being Trolls are either. I think accusing someone you disagree with of being one has become a cheap and common way to dismiss other people and their views as contemptible and being of little value.

And I think it should stop.

No more accusing people of being Trolls just because you disagree with them. Enough.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abysmalyxia View Post
So far as I've been able to determine I believe that, across all communities there is one particular insult that is always acceptable.

Troll.

I've never (ever) seen someone be punished for it, and I've even asked Stormshade about it but he never bothered to respond.

As such, I'm making this plea to the community.

The accusation of Troll is used frequently, almost always to target someone whose views differ from the accusers own. Though this may be difficult for many of you to believe, I consider the word hurtful. It's dismissive and abusive and unkind. It relegates the other person in the discussion to kind of dehumanized position.

"Your opinion isn't valid, you're just a troll".

"Your comments aren't necessary, you're just trolling".

"We don't like you, you're a troll."

I'd like STO to be a "Troll Free Zone". That the forum regulars, the new players, the whole lot of us simply refuse to accuse people of being a "Troll".

I've made silly posts, I've made angry posts, I've made insightful posts... but never have I made a post simply to wreck someones day, evoke a negative emotional response, or just make people angry. I've made funny posts (See my crafting/looking for vespene parody of my own posts post), and I've made angry posts (See my D'Kyr post)... but the motivation behind all of them has been either lighthearted or from a desire to improve the game. Even my most colorfully worded posts sought to improve the game, or elicit discussions concerning the core of the game philosophy.

I'm no Troll. I don't think most people accused of being Trolls are either. I think accusing someone you disagree with of being one has become a cheap and common way to dismiss other people and their views as contemptible and being of little value.

And I think it should stop.

No more accusing people of being Trolls just because you disagree with them. Enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdiz0k0Rudw
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Read the post he is replying to:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...3&postcount=17

He specifically says he agrees with what that poster said. So according to SS, if you call someone a "troll" then you are one also.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM
The only person allowed to call anyone on these forums a troll is me, or a member of the moderation staff.

If anyone else ever calls someone a troll, that's flaming, and if it's reported, should be dealt with appropriately.

In other words, if anyone other than me ever accuses someone of trolling on these forums, please report them.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2011, 04:03 PM
"troll" is an ineffective ad hominem. It says nothing about the merits of an argument, just that the writer assumes the "troll" is getting a rise out of the responses to their post.

However, claiming an idea is only suggested to inflame others insincerely might be true, it might not.

So, TL;DR version:
  • Calling someone a troll really isn't a good response (nor is it strictly within forum regs) but that doesn't mean it isn't true (or not).
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
talk about calling the kettle black you have done the same thing to people that have replied to your posts that you did not like so i would surgest that you stop tring to get a rise out of the other people on the forums by posting thing like this post on the forums

sorry about the spelling
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
If anyone else ever calls someone a troll, that's flaming, and if it's reported, should be dealt with appropriately
Cool, right on.

But, I admit I'm a bit stupid about this stuff, how do I report them? I've looked all over the UI and I don't see a "report this post" button.

Do we contact a mod personally and give the post number or name or something? I mean, that has got to make more work for you guys than a clicky would.

Could someone help an old fart out here please?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhausen
Cool, right on.

But, I admit I'm a bit stupid about this stuff, how do I report them? I've looked all over the UI and I don't see a "report this post" button.

Do we contact a mod personally and give the post number or name or something? I mean, that has got to make more work for you guys than a clicky would.

There's a white triangle with red trim and an exclamation point below each avatar (next to the online status)
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhausen
Cool, right on.

just below the user name/avatar of the person is a Red ! click that to report the person.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisfaf View Post
talk about calling the kettle black you have done the same thing to people that have replied to your posts that you did not like so i would surgest that you stop tring to get a rise out of the other people on the forums by posting thing like this post on the forums

sorry about the spelling

Go through my posting history. There is not a single instance of me accusing anyone of being a troll, despite numerous people waging the accusation against me. The only time "troll" shows up in any of my posts is when I'm quoting someone else.
Closed Thread