Lt. Commander
# 11
02-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I have been here since November and I was not aware that there was a reporting proceedure... sure, I would have looked for one if I wanted to report something, and I am sure I would have found it, but it's good for it to be officially highlighted like this.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
It depends, Tricksterbro.
For example: Warnings do not give points. EVER. A warning is that: A warning. It will not give any points. And sometimes instead of giving an infraction, a moderator may choose to give a warning. Especially if the issue was minor, was a first offence and so on.
Sometimes we also just edit a posting without giving a warning OR infraction - for example if you quoted something we removed from another poster.

Now, after 5 1-point infractions in a row, yes, you'll get a five day suspension. Automatically... but not always. There are some exceptions in the system and some users have not been banned until their 9th point.

What will ALWAYS get you a forum break are solid 5, 10 or even 20 point infractions.
In which case: You had 2 1-point infractions. You now get a 5-point. The 5-point trumps and suspends you (or bans, if you had 19 points and now get a 5-point).

Which is why "keeping book" isn't exactly something you can do for anyone else except yourself. You can always see your own infraction points. But you cannot see anyone else's.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
I think it needs to stay stickied really.

Is it right that you can see the infraction points you've earned under "My Account" on the homepage
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1
I have been here since November and I was not aware that there was a reporting proceedure... sure, I would have looked for one if I wanted to report something, and I am sure I would have found it, but it's good for it to be officially highlighted like this.

Thank you.
I've been here a little longer but until now I wasn't aware that this little red triangle was the "report button".
Maybe changing it to something more obvious like say..."report post" or "report user" would not be such a bad idea.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksterbro View Post
Is it right that you can see the infraction points you've earned under "My Account" on the homepage
You can right here! Click on your name in the forums, just beside your posting, and check out your profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
I've been here a little longer but until now I wasn't aware that this little red triangle was the "report button".
*whispers* Mouse-Over!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
I won't sticky this for long, but I DO hope some of you will take to heart what I need to post here this morning.

We have currently a few posters who break the rules by attacking other posters breaking the rules or toeing the line. You guys, you MUST stop that.

If you see someone post and it:
  • Makes you angry
  • Makes you feel upset
  • Makes you think unpleasant things
  • Makes you think: HE IS BREAKING THE RULES,
  • Makes you hit reply and actually frown or giggle with glee while typing
...chances are you have happened upon a successful troll.

And I do mean the verb troll here, not the noun.
See, to troll means fishing for something. Either with just a fishing rod on a boat or even with a whole net dragged behind a boat. The idea is to throw some bait out and wait for nibbles and bites.
The moment you nibble or bite, the trolling was a success.
In other words: You lost the game.

If you see something that upsets or offends you: Hit the report button.
That gives it to the moderation team. We'll check what is happening in the thread and we'll take action if needed. We will not discuss with you what precisely happens, but we will check each reported posting.
Do not reply.
Do not quote.
Report and move on.

Report, you say? What witch craft is this?
Easy: You will see, if you logged in, that next to each poster in their posting is a small triangle with a red rim and a red ! inside. Using that opens a report window. You can even enter there why you reported it, such as "This guy is talking about Blah, which is just wrong" - and the mods will get this message.

Trolling back, flaming, being rude - all of these will just lead to YOU getting an infraction. And we do not care "who started it". You guys are all mature enough to know that excuse stopped working a couple of years ago as you all grew up.

Thanks!
I usually just pull out my anti troll living vorpal sword +18 of headbashing and let it do it's thing, is that bad?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
If people did what I told them to, I'd have MUCH more chocolate around me! ... >.>
Well yes, but I only get chocolate for my coworkers, and Cryptic hasn't responded to my application yet. :p
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Quote:
I won't sticky this for long, but I DO hope some of you will take to heart what I need to post here this morning.

We have currently a few posters who break the rules by attacking other posters breaking the rules or toeing the line. You guys, you MUST stop that.
I know you don't want to keep this up forever, but you might need to do exactly that. Say your last bit, lock the thread and keep it stickied. Collective memory, especially on forums, is particularly short when it comes to things that should be remembered. Keeping it up at the top of the threads and locked ensures you get it in front of people (and can't be modified).
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Aye. :\
It's just that stickies get so MESSY, and so quickly. Myself, I am not a fan of many stickies in any forum. We shall see. For now, I am happy to answer questions on the topic and hope folks talk about it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Using the steps you provided, I see no information on infractions whatsoever on my profile. I've never been contacted for a forum admin as well. Should I take this to mean I have no infractions / warnings?

In other words, how will I know if I acquired an infraction?
Closed Thread