Lt. Commander
# 51
02-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
I say a lot of things that make people angry. That doesn't make me a troll.
The true determining factor is the intent of the poster. If someone is trying to upset other people, then they are trolling regardless of whether they actually succeed or not. If you are not trying to upset other people but to have a civilized conversation according to the forum rules, then no matter how many people you upset you are not trolling.
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-22-2011, 04:51 PM
LOL ... wow. Thanks for the definition. I thought "troll" referred to a big green creature similar to an Ogre (like Shrek)
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
LOL ... wow. Thanks for the definition. I thought "troll" referred to a big green creature similar to an Ogre (like Shrek)
Well, people who troll (verb) are often called a troll (noun). It's internet slang - andf if you call someone a troll on our forums, Stromshade will smite you. But it did come from somewhere. My guess is the term "fishing" was not used due to the term phishing being out there.
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh noooooooooooooo. I missed that forum feature completely. How do earn infraction points ? :p

And now serious.... i think that is all very interesting. But if the intent of the supposed Troll is what matters, it certainly is hard to know, unless Cryptic has finally installed the mind probes i sold them at very generous discount.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-22-2011, 05:05 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines and Cryptic Studios Infraction Policy ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
I say a lot of things that make people angry. That doesn't make me a troll.
I would agree. I say things often to attempt humor in a thread. Does that make me a troll by definition?
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Well, people who troll (verb) are often called a troll (noun). It's internet slang - andf if you call someone a troll on our forums, Stromshade will smite you. But it did come from somewhere. My guess is the term "fishing" was not used due to the term phishing being out there.
I suppose trolls (the big green creature) could troll (fish) off of the bridges that they live under.

However, it's true, the name for a person who baits people into arguments on the Internet was not named after the green creature, although that's a common assumption.

BTW, this thread either took a lot of courage, or foolishness. I have personally found even discussions of the subject to be likely to start conflict. So kudos on keeping the thread around as long as you can.
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
No.

The term 'troll' was used because it is a specific type of fishing. When you troll or 'troll bait', you put something out there as bait and you then shake it or pull it along to bring attention to the bait. You cast your line or bait out and then you troll it over the bridge, along the pier or alongside the boat. Hence the term 'trolling along.'

And the term trolling, as applied to the internet, outdates 'phishing' by at least a decade. I first saw the term in use on BBS boards, back in the late 80's.
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
The term 'troll' was used because it is a specific type of fishing. When you troll or 'troll bait', you put something out there as bait and you then shake it or pull it along to bring attention to the bait. You cast your line or bait out and then you troll it over the bridge, along the pier or alongside the boat. Hence the term 'trolling along.'
I've learned something new today. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 60
02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I would agree. I say things often to attempt humor in a thread. Does that make me a troll by definition?
Nah. But I'm sure someone will be having a bad day and say you're being naughty, so I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. It's happened to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
No.

And the term trolling, as applied to the internet, outdates 'phishing' by at least a decade. I first saw the term in use on BBS boards, back in the late 80's.
Internet Culture: the more you know!
Closed Thread