Lt. Commander
I am trying to figure out the mechanics of the duoing rules. My wife has a LTC4 and I want to accompany her on her missions in a VA1. I let her recruit me to her team, and choose match team leaders level. Now, while I am in range of her, she shares her quests to me and they come in to me as either a repeat or crossover. We go and start playing together, but the numbers seem way out of whack. Is she getting XP for what I kill or do we only get hte XP from what we kill ourselves? Her numbers seem very small, even trying to account for some unspoken penalty. The game IS giving me the message that I am playing at LTC4.

Answers, FAQ or prognostications appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Best of luck.

With over a year under STO's belt there's still not even clear descriptions of skills and items, let alone anything else.

I'd say check around the web for the various unofficial wikis, since nobody official can be bothered to get any helpful game documentation together.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Info dump time!

There might be some info in an episode of STOked. It's a well done podcast that does lots of informational segments, you might want to try looking one up.

The unofficial Star Trek Online Wiki does a good job of having info and guides, you might want to check in there as well.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie223
I am trying to figure out the mechanics of the duoing rules. My wife has a LTC4 and I want to accompany her on her missions in a VA1. I let her recruit me to her team, and choose match team leaders level. Now, while I am in range of her, she shares her quests to me and they come in to me as either a repeat or crossover. We go and start playing together, but the numbers seem way out of whack. Is she getting XP for what I kill or do we only get hte XP from what we kill ourselves? Her numbers seem very small, even trying to account for some unspoken penalty. The game IS giving me the message that I am playing at LTC4.

Answers, FAQ or prognostications appreciated.
This is pretty much a hornet's nest question. The level matching is sometimes bugged and almost never works properly. I had the same problems when I tried to help a lowlevel friend on some missions. And don't let me get started about DSE's...
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Is there a guide as asked for in the title? No

Are you doing it right? Yes

So what's the problem? A VA1 like yourself has inherently more abilities than an LtC4. You have more buttons to push, and they make you stronger. You also have Mk 11 gear which your wife doesn't have. The nerfbat that the squad system hits you with (or the buff which the squad system could apply to your wife if you did it in reverse) just doesn't hit a VA hard enough (nor does it buff a lowbie up to a VA's capabilities). What you observe is the effect of an underpowered squad system.

XP gains apply to all toons in a group in the same instance, so it's okay to kill everything for her if you prefer. Having her just stand in the instance while your ship/away team roflstomp everything in sight should get her the xp. And she will definitely get the xp for turning in the mission when it's completed.

You are doing it right. If you want to make the experience take more time, buy a T2 ship from the shipyard and equip it with Mk 4 whites. That'll slow you down. She might also be forgetting to put 100 power to weapons in space/not use a sniper rifle on the ground.

Run exploration missions with her in a T2 ship with Mk 4 whites. The data she finds will give her a needed ec boost and the level matching works best there. Presently, the vast majority of storyline missions do not scale to the level of the player. To illustrate, a VA1 playing a mission designed for a LtC4 will probably enjoy a massive level advantage over the mobs in the mission and steamloller everything.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2011, 05:33 AM
I was unaware of preexisting problems.

All of your replies were helpful, especially yours Azure Alliance, thanks. Knowing that I am doing it right is very helpful. WIth no other documentation, nagging doubts present themselves. You were right that the reason for the post was primarily that using no powers, just letting my ships beams and torps fly on their own, I was sucking the joy out of the experience for my wife. Even though the game says I am fighting at LTC4, it was like sandblasting a soup cracker. I also appreciate the idea of dragging out a T2 ship and slapping whites in it. I am not looking to powerlevel her, we are trying to enjoy the content; we both played Klingon side at release to max, so all of the Fed content is new to her outside of the starter area. Heck most of i is new to me. When I started my feds I leveled tham Klingon style : I stayed in queue and did exploration instead of Empire Defense , which was a huge step up for me at the time. Exploration is much more fun than Empire Defense was.

Thanks again for your replies
Oz
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-23-2011, 06:25 AM
The thing that's really making all the difference is the equipment. If you drop to gear that would be available for the level range of the mission then you'll have a more balanced experience.

Nice to see someone seeking to play for the experience rather than the XP.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-23-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm glad this discussion is happening, as my wife wants to pick STO up again soon and we'll be encountering this difficulty. When we left, the big problem was getting into the same instance. Especially in exploration missions. Took several tries sometimes.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
The thing that's really making all the difference is the equipment. If you drop to gear that would be available for the level range of the mission then you'll have a more balanced experience.

Nice to see someone seeking to play for the experience rather than the XP.
Awesome idea. That would keep some of the fun in the missions for me if I kept my Science Refit : just reequip it with the thousands of useless low tier exploration marks I have. My wife is going on leave soon; we plan on some extended play time. I will report back what works best on this thread :
1. T2 ship with whites
2. Science refit with greens, or whtes. Honestly I hope this is good, I could keep my BO setup for emergencies. I don't know much of the content up to the Cardassian stuff. Sadly, none of that was challenging combat-wise.
3. Have her team up to MY level and take her on the daily rounds if possible, mission repeats if possible, ect.There are many duoing things that come to mind that I have no idea if they work : PvP Arena maps, Cap&Hold Maps, Dailies, missions I have done that she has not and fleet actions.

If I have to reroll an alt , level it quickly to her level and start playing with her that way I will. I was really hoping the teaming system would work, and maybe it will, with some accomodations on my side.