Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
They don't need to have a engine to make that image. You can do that with the 3D animation software they use.

One of cryptic's artist could make a image like that in a couple of hours.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
They don't need to have a engine to make that image. You can do that with the 3D animation software they use.

One of cryptic's artist could make a image like that in a couple of hours.
I agree. I'm just an amateur and I could probably do it with blender, though it may take some time.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
I agree. I'm just an amateur and I could probably do it with blender, though it may take some time.
I am amateur as well.

They would just set the background of the mountains. Then place the ground plane pull the nodes in a few places.

They would have access to tons of models. The artist would just pose the character rigs. Place the models on the ground plane.

Set up the light source to cast the shadows.

Put the textures on the ground plane and models.

Render the image and then export it to a Paint or Photoshop program to add the UI.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
I am amateur as well.

They would just set the background of the mountains. Then place the ground plane pull the nodes in a few places.

They would have access to tons of models. The artist would just pose the character rigs. Place the models on the ground plane.

Set up the light source to cast the shadows.

Put the textures on the ground plane and models.

Render the image and then export it to a Paint or Photoshop program to add the UI.
Yeah, it would be quite simple to fake. It was downright dirty if the article I read was right and they faked it just to keep the investors and CBS happy. I started out highly impressed by Pepetual's STO. Then they announced that large ships like the Galaxy would be bases only and non-flyable. Then they announced a top down 2d space view. Then I read that article that said they had very little done despite 3 or 4 years of development. I was highly dissapointed to say the least. Thanks for picking up the project Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
What is? The UI or the entire screenshot? If your saying the latter, I disagree. I mean, look at how the piece of equipment on the guy's hip is clipping with his leg in the position he's standing. They wouldnt have intentionally done that. That is definitely a screnshot taken within a 3d evironment, although it probably wasnt a "real mission". They probably just placed 2 NPCs on a ground map so they could take a quick SS of combat.
Nagis according to one of the devs who worked at Perpetual, he and the ohter devs were waiting on the engine to really get started on the game. If that is accurate. No game engine means no screen shoots. That means that image is a moclup. A mock up is a something and image, screens, UI that looks and acts like the end product. But's it a fake, empty, nothing on the inside.

That image was created by an artist Any artist worth his salt can create what looks like an in-game screen shot. To use the venacualar, it was 'shopped (aka photoshopped).
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Nagis according to one of the devs who worked at Perpetual, he and the ohter devs were waiting on the engine to really get started on the game. If that is accurate. No game engine means no screen shoots. That means that image is a moclup. A mock up is a something and image, screens, UI that looks and acts like the end product. But's it a fake, empty, nothing on the inside.

That image was created by an artist Any artist worth his salt can create what looks like an in-game screen shot. To use the venacualar, it was 'shopped (aka photoshopped).
Penny arcade described this kind of image best:

Bullshot
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Ummm no.
That is an ooooold Pic.
That's a mock up of what Perpetual's STO was going to look like, long before Cryptic even got their hands on STO.
but lets say if it is, that would look awesome
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I am curious exactly what people mean when they say "mock up". To me that sounds like something that is created just for show but is not the actual system itself. However, that screen looks like it was taken of an actual in game 3d environment.
One of the devs from Perpetual confirmed that Perpetual never put art assets into the game engine they were developing for Gods and Heroes. All they had were assets for their 3D mock-up scenes, a rough concept for their GUI, and design documentation for how they planned on implementing everything in a game engine.

However, they never took the leap into coding then using a version of their engine for Star Trek Online.

What you're seeing are mock-ups for the interface superimposed on a scene created in a 3D renderer package like Maya or 3Dsmax.

The devs from Cryptic were likely to have kept the art assets as a reference (STO's models have much more detailed textures and polys), despite having to implement the game engine on their.